Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Upgrading to a limited slip differential

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Doel, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Doel

Doel United States Active Member

I'm happy to see that Kia has finally wised up and all Stinger 3.3s come with an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) on the 2019 models now, unfortunate for us 2018 owners who didn't buy a GT2 though. With that said, has anyone replaced or looked into replacing their open diff with a factory LSD (Limited Slip Differential)? What price are we looking at for parts and how difficult is the swap?

2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

RWD, right? Because I don't think that AWD comes with LSD (Limited Slip Differential), not even the MY19.

3. Doel

I have a RWD but I'm pretty sure you can add an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) to the AWD as well.

4. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

THe guys at Tork were going to install the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) on their GT. Not sure if that happened though.

5. Adamdan

Adamdan Canada Active Member

It’s not a opinion in Canada. I would have got one forsure.

6. BBB

BBB Canada Active Member

All-wheel-drive versions get a torque vectoring system that brakes the inside wheels in a turn, to rotate the car.

7. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

Is
    Is that all? I thought that the dynamic was a combination of power to the individual wheels, stiffening or relaxing the suspension to the individual wheels (electronically monitored suspension) and braking: not just brakes applied to the inside wheels.

8. bal

bal United States Member

I don't really know the answer to this, but would gladly try out the install if cheap enough... it is a vehicle option so possibly the dealership would be the best place to start for a realistic price quote. There is one on ebay for.... $1145 + Shipping from S. Korea. Makes the dealer option seem like a bargain.

ebay.com/itm/2018-KIA-STINGER-3-3T-RWD-AWD-ALL-GT-MODEL-limited-slip-differential-LSD (Limited Slip Differential)-OEM/263558773173

9. BBB

BBB Canada Active Member

Yes, the AWD gets those things too, but as far as wheel spin goes, the GT gets the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) and the GT AWD gets torque vectoring.

10. Callum

Callum United States Active Member

I’d imagine it’s a bolt in process. The stability and traction will only kick in when it sees tire sliipage.

11. Talloneus Khan

Talloneus Khan Canada Newish Member

Honestly, I got a 2018, and its awd drive with the open diff ant torque vectoring. However, I cant afford to trade in for the 2019 with the awd and LSD (Limited Slip Differential). Is it possible to put the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) in, on my 2018, and "turning off" the torque vectoring? I would love to hear from anybody that knows if its possible, plus the best way to do it. Up here, there was no LSD (Limited Slip Differential) for the 2018's

An LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is way more fun compared to torque vectoring imho.

12. Callum

When I installed ARB Air Lockers into my Land Cruiser (which had "off road" traction control), it worked seamlessly. The torque vectoring only occurs when it sees wheel slippage and creates a "LSD (Limited Slip Differential)" effect, but not really.

Installing a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) on the AWD's would not change much, it would work just like the '19. The LSD (Limited Slip Differential) when locked would display even wheel speed across a single axle, making traction control less likely to kick in.

13. Talloneus Khan

So, If I were to put one in, would I be able to powerslide around? With all the nannies off, I want to be able to smoke the tires on occasion. Just putting the new diff in would allow me to do that? Wouldnt have to mess about with anything else?

14. Audible Silence

Audible Silence United States Active Member

Doubt it, at the front wheels would still have 20% power, but I don't too much about AWD.

15. Hojae84

Hojae84 United States Active Member

I think u can awd drift with LSD (Limited Slip Differential)
    G70 awd high spec model has drift mode.
    It has LSD (Limited Slip Differential) vs open diff on the awd stingers. Same platform as stinger.

16. Talloneus Khan

But the 2018 stinger does not have a "drift mode" I am curious, because I do not know enough about the torque vectoring. As long as it stays off, when the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is locked up, with both rears spinning, obviously breaking traction, then that would be awesome. Because unlike the g70, the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is not stock. It uses torque vectoring instead of an LSD (Limited Slip Differential). With an LSD (Limited Slip Differential), you would have no need for the torque vectoring at all. If Im going to put one in, I would like to know, if it can be 100% off. Period.

17. Doel

is there anyone from a dealership here that can tell us if you can order the stock LSD (Limited Slip Differential) and how much it is?

18. Callum

It would not be worth it. The D-AWD is most likely a software update, or a different transfer case.

19. BBB

BBB Canada Active Member

If you’ve got an AWD, you won’t be smoking the rear tires regardless of if you have LSD (Limited Slip Differential) or not. Turning off all the “nannies” doesn’t turn off your all wheel drive. If you want the smoke show and the drifting, should have bought the RWD...and another set of tires.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BBB

BBB Canada Active Member

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted