Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Ultimate Performance FMIC install and impressions

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Tonkabob, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States Stinger Enthusiast

This FMIC is pretty straight forward direct bolt on and hook up. I believe I got the first FMIC from Ultimate Performance so hit a few snags, but assuming these are straightened out, this FMIC could be installed by just about anyone. I'm doing all my own mods and I would say this easier than the spark plug change and easier than the JT CAI install.

I won't go into full install details as it is very straight forward. You will want to dig up the instructions for removing the front end of the car, which is very easy. Put the car on ramps or jacks and remove the old FMIC. The new one bolts into the holes from the original FMIC brackets. Old brackets are removed.

On my unit the cold side piping came up 3 inches short of reaching the factory pipe. Also the center mounting bracket was an inch low from mounting up to the plastic cross bar where the front belly pan attaches. (you need to steal one belly pan mount point). These two issues caused some grief but assuming they are fixed install should be a breeze. I ended up bending the middle mount to fit. No problem. And built a cold side extension using a 2.5 OD exhaust pipe that I had to sawzall to size and order a 3 x 2.5 silicone coupler from Amazon. Local auto shops didn't have the part. Also had to trim an inch off the side of the radiator shroud as the IC was slightly off center.

The new FMIC is not as wide as stock but is taller. The width and height match really well with the opening in the grill. OEM coolers outside edges wouldn't get much cold air.
    Driving with the new FMIC seemed to enhance the intake sound just a bit.
    I'll do a 0-60 test soon to see if it improves my ODB phone app 4.02 0-60 time. Probably see more in the high RPM range that will help my 1/4 mile. Maybe get to the track in October.

Stock vs UP FMIC
    IC.JPG

Hot and Cold side piping. Cold is my extension, hot is theirs. Mine looks better. :)
    20180912_175136.jpg 20180912_175215.jpg

Mounted
    20180912_135652.jpg

these should only do about 10 hp peak but probably double that near redline.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club! Texas Stinger Swarm

Thanks for the review! If/when they improve this, I hope they let us know.

3. Tonkabob

Just got to do a few 0-60 runs. Best run 3.95 with just over a half tank and on the exact same road and fuel amount as my best run of 4.02 before the FMIC.
    Tork will update my tune to better take advantage of the fmic as well. I'll update after the tune.
    I called Ultimate and they said the unit i got was essentially pre production. Should fit better now but would be good to have the next installer confirm.

Anyone looking for the Jonny Tig FMIC, mine's in the classifieds for $1200.

Not totally sure of accuracy, this is obd connected app, but could be the first sub 4 second 0-60 for a Stinger?
    Screenshot_2018-09-15-08-43-52.png

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

Get a Dragy. They're verified accurate.

5. Tonkabob

Yeah i know, I'd rather put the $150 towards 3 or 4 drag race sessions or some frivolous exhaust tips. ☺

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KLR STINGER

KLR STINGER Canada Active Member

Tonkabob, why did you switch from the Johnny Tig one?

7. Tonkabob

I'm trying to do all my own installs. Its fun or maybe I am cheap! The Johnny tig with full piping looked a little beyond what I wanted to tackle so I just switched to the Ultimate which is more of a straight swap.

8. Johnny B

Johnny B Canada Member

I also have the ultimate performance FMIC. Quality product. Fit and finish is excellent.....beautiful welds. No problems with the install and there tech support is top notch. It definitely made a difference in performance compared to the stock unit and no more heat soak from stop light to stop light. The intercooler is a Honywell Garrett and this particular size is rated for 600 hp. More than enough for this car.

9. jdouga

jdouga United States Active Member

600to the wheels? Cuz there is now way thats enough for crank hp

10. Beejumz

Beejumz United States Member

Garrett intercooler are also very underrated. This core will handle 700wheel no problem

11. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Active Member

You think your piping was just a mistake? I agree your fabrication looks better for sure.

Still not sure a simple core replacement is going to have much of a power difference.. without it's own piping... but it is possible our hot and cold pipes are engineered well enough to be optimal enough

12. Beejumz

Intercoolers by themselves dont make more power, but you can tune more aggressively due to charge temps being lower. Piping will probably do little to nothing until we see bigger turbo setups. Core and bovs are likely all that will need to be replaced on stock turbos.

13. Tonkabob

My Ultimate FMIC is very nice quality. The cold side just needed a slightly longer silicon hose.
    Ulitmate is selling a cold side 3 inch pipe soon. They say it added some power but thought the rest of the stock IC piping was good as is.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  14. Beejumz

Does the ic fit crooked? Or is it flush and flat like the oem ic

15. Tonkabob

Mine was not crooked, just slightly off center. It needs to be perfectly centered to fit between the lower plastic mount of the radiator shroud. I just trimmed a little off the lower shrouds plastic and it mounted up fine. Doesn't impact the radiator shroud at all.

16. Tonkabob

In some photos they have the hot side aluminum piping wrapping around and extending another 3-4 inches. This would allow you to use the 3 inch silicon extension they supply on the cold side and you would be good to go. If your hot side is short like mine both the hot and cold side need a 3 inch silicon hose extension and they only provided me one.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Johnny B

Johnny B Canada Member

I had them re send me the correct extension and everything fits perfect now.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Active Member

Definitely looks like a better fit for the space there.

Draft saved Draft deleted