Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Tuning Questions

Discussion in 'The Ultimate Kia Stinger Tuning Forum' started by DaBears4Lyfe, Jul 3, 2018.

1. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States Member

Hey All,

Im am looking to tune my Stinger GT. Ive contacted a few places and here is one response I got. Do you think it makes any sense to go this route over buying the Lap3 chip and doing this myself?

"First we need to order up a interface module and then next we would wire that in and finally we would tune it for maximum power and torque with in a safe limit.

The module has two options on pricing $435.00 for the basic set up or $540.00 for the bluetooth setup (with a app configuration you can download).

We are able to tune your Kia for about an additional 100hp to the fly wheel.

Installation of the module is $150.00, it is necessary to gap the spark plugs to .025" that is $100.00, at that point if you want new plugs its additional $120.00, then tuning is $525.00 and taxes will be $30.00 - $47.00.

Total is roughly $1240.00 - $1482.00"

Is there any difference in going to a shop to tune my car vs buying a ECU and doing it that way?

Appreciate the help. My biggest concern is the unknowns with the ECUs and how it will effect my stinger in the long run.

I just feel like they will buy the chip off here and mark it up 3x to me lol, but im not sure if this would be the same thing.

2. robz32

robz32 United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

If you can hold on for a few months do so. As the guys at Tork Motorsports are about to get some additional help from partners in Korea that will allow them to open up the ECU even more and even control the TCU.
    If gotta have it right now then go with one of the options offered by Tork on the ECU flash. Best way to tune the Stinger currently.

3. DaBears4Lyfe

Ya im in no rush. The biggest question is does it sound like in that email, the company will just be buying an ECU of line and throwing on a mark up lol. I just want to know if im missing something here. Not sure what they would be doing differently to justify that high of a price.

4. DaBears4Lyfe

Module - 540
    Installation - 150
    Tuning - 525

If they are buying an ECU what would they be tuning. Im assuming due to my lack of knowledge im missing something.

VS

(NEW) LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune
    $589.95. I can get new spark plugs and get them gaped properly for $75.00

5. robz32

robz32 United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Well judging by their description of the features that will be available to you with their upgrade, it sounds like it's one of the piggy back tunes. If that is the case then, you will be better off doing it your self as it is not complicated to install.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  6. KLR STINGER

KLR STINGER Canada Active Member

If you need something right now, the JB4 piggy back is your best option. Tightening the gap will be required with any tuning. Like Rob said above, full ecu tuning is still in early days, so I'd wait some until it has advanced some ways to be easier and more fulsomely integrated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DaBears4Lyfe

Ok thanks. Make sense. I will hold out until towards the end of the year and see what come out. Thanks for the help everyone.

8. DaBears4Lyfe

Thanks! I think the best move is to wait for now.

9. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

there are several options. you have racechip, the lap3 and pressertech. i spoke with scott over at pressertech, you send them your ecu and they will return it to you with a new tune within 24 hours.

10. DaBears4Lyfe

Do you know what kind of results they are having?

11. Terry@BMS

Terry@BMS United States Member Authorized Vendor

Wrote this on a facebook boost in response to a similar question. :)

12. Weareblondi

there is a post from them on the forum. pressertech is well known among the amg/ m car aficionados. their stuff is quality, but, not sure about their tunes. time will tell. they are still testing, they were looking for cars to do real world testing.

13. DaBears4Lyfe

Wow... Well tell them i would gladly be a guinea pig if they supplied the ECU.

14. jdouga

jdouga United States Active Member

Jb4 is the best option for piggybacks right now, but they also just purchased their very own stinger to unlock more features, just a heads up, probably will be seeing good stuff from them soon

• Like Like x 2
  15. Kazz

Kazz United States Stinger Enthusiast

It's a great time to be patient. :D

16. niko

niko United States Active Member

17. Weareblondi

thanks niko, was going to look for it, and, old age took over................what were we talking about again?

Draft saved Draft deleted