Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Transmission slips to Neutral by itself when driving

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Kia Stinger, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

This message was intended to be posted by @CrisX but accidentally landed elsewhere...

A new issue surfaced recently with my Stinger GT. It happened a few times the past couple weeks but it was not that serious -- after i started the car and put it into Drive (dash showed D) and the car just started rolling, the transmission slipped to Neutral by itself and I have to put it back to Drive again. All were good afterward.

Today, the same situation happened after the car was already running for 2 to 3 minutes. All of a sudden the engine was free revving and the car was slowing down. I noticed from the dash that the transmission was in N. It was no doubt a scary moment given that I was driving at 80 km/h at the time with quite a bit of traffic around me. Luckily I could put it back to Drive without any hiccup. It did not re-surface for the rest of the trip.

Did anyone experience similar issue with the transmission? I also have other issues (ISG (Idle Stop and Go), Apple Carplay/USB port) and am wondering if there's an electrical gremlin hiding in my car.

2. MikeyCanuck

MikeyCanuck Canada Active Member

5700+ km in... no such experience for me...

3. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

Interesting....................4200km also haven't had that happen.

4. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

To clarify when you say it goes into N and you have to put it back into drive, is it...

A) The dash shows N and the shifter is in N so you have to move the shifter back into D

Or

B) The dash shows N but the shifter is in D so you have to move the shifter to N then back into d

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I will guess it's the electronic shifter (drive by wire) that doesn't have physical positions relating to the mode...

6. Freelancer

Freelancer United States Member

What model do you have?

7. Bear

Bear United States Active Member

I have GT2 (shift by wire) and have not experienced any issue like this. Have 2k miles on the car.

8. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

That was my first thought as well, but he states "GT" so I'm assuming not.

9. Freelancer

Freelancer United States Member

I never make assumptions. DbW can be touchy, if he has a GT2, it might be a problem.

10. Chris

Chris United States Stinger Enthusiast

The OP is in Canada. Im pretty sure both the GT and the GT limited (the only two models in Canada) are shift by wire.

11. BIGRED

BIGRED Canada Active Member

Yes, you are right. Canada has only AWD models in GT and GT LTD trims, and both are shift by wire.

12. corradoMR2

corradoMR2 Canada Active Member

2500 kms on mine. No issues. Sorry to hear about yours. Definitely get it checked out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. djfosfor

djfosfor Kazakhstan New Member

Hello. Sorry in advance. my English is very bad. I on Russian forum wrote. and I was the only one with that problem. Exactly the same problem ! 1 in 1 . gt line.
    3 times already so it was. I almost got into an accident. I was speeding out of the turn. the car abruptly stopped to pick up speed and shifted into neutral. I have 13000km mileage. All 3 times I was accelerating out of a turn. You have the same situation or you on a flat road went?
    Have you learned anything during this time ? Are you sure you didn't touch it ? Because the Official dealer assures me that I hurt myself .. did diagnosis. There are no errors. Everything's fine...

14. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Active Member

Guys that this is happening to, was your hand resting on the shifter when it happened? Im just curious if you inadvertantly could have slipped it into neutral by accident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. djfosfor

djfosfor Kazakhstan New Member

I believe that there is no, because I keep hand on the armrest. Waiting for next time ...

16. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club! Texas Stinger Swarm

The only time I've heard of this is when the shifter is bumped or someone is resting their hand on the shifter (I've done it once myself). If you're confident it's not being touched, I'd talk to my service department.

Good luck!

17. Audible Silence

Audible Silence United States Active Member

if its fairly common, maybe try catiching it on video with cell phone

Draft saved Draft deleted