Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Transmission 'Drag' While Coasting

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Scorpio Redux, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Scorpio Redux

Scorpio Redux United States Member

Compared to other automatic transmission cars I have driven, my Stinger (2.0T) seems to have a lot more 'gear drag' (friction) when I let off on the gas (at low speed, 20 mph) and coast in Drive (Comfort Mode). The feeling is a bit like that of regenerative braking in an electric drivetrain. Has anyone else noticed this? (But it does save on braking as I approach a stop sign!)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  2. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast

Transmission tuning.. my Mustang does this now that i had the trans tuned.. it's just the transmission being in the right gear if you have to hit the gas, less lag time for the tranny to select the right gear.

3. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Active Member

Yea, this is a weird feel because it imitates engine braking if one was driving a manual. Personally, I don't like it: I'll just drive a manual if I want to engine brake.

As for many people stating this is about keeping the right gear, that's just nuts. Skip-shifting is the solution to sudden WOT, and my old car had an aftermarket tune that enabled skip-shifting and higher transmission line pressure. It could downshift two gears in the time this thing takes to decide on what gear it wants and it hasn't even shifted to that gear, yet :whistle:

As for my personal take: I think it reduces brake rotor warp. Dragging on iron rotors just speeds up warping dramatically, so engine braking can reduce this by increasing low speed braking force while decreasing moderate brake pressure needed to slow down. Of course, without being one of the engineers, I could be just as wrong and sound pretty damned stupid right now :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  4. upsidedown

upsidedown Australia Member

Yes I have said in a few posts how bad (my opinion) the calibration and the jerkiness of the changes are and not up to scratch when driving in suburban traffic. However other members say they absolutely love the transmission and won't get a software update if it affected the shifts.

5. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast

I am one of those.. I will not get an update if it comes out. I purposely had my Mustang tuned this way and love it. The Stinger shifts very soft in comparison, so if anything I would get it tuned for more firm shifts and hold them even longer.

Draft saved Draft deleted