Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Transmission delays anyone?

Discussion in 'Community Lounge' started by Canoe4, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Canoe4

Canoe4 Canada New Member

Hi everyone, I bought a brand new 2019 Kia Stinger and currently have under 1200 miles on it. I've observed there's a noticeable delay before the transmission connects when you shift from park into drive or into reverse from drive. Anyone else find this 2 or 3 second delay annoying?

2. Ty Davis

Ty Davis United States Active Member

I’ve noticed this too. It’s not quite 2 seconds for me, but enough for the car to roll back a bit (then catch/bump) between reverse and drive when back out and pull away from my sloped driveway.

I don’t think it’s a defect, but seems like something that Kia could tweak with an update, should they feel so inclined.

3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

I am never in a hurry when moving from "P" to "R" to "D". So if there is any "delay" I've never noticed it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ty Davis

I tend to take my time as well, but there is a definite slight delay after shifting into drive (from reverse).
    It’s most conspicuous when on an incline.

Unless GT1s do this too, this might be related to the electronic shift mechanism.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  5. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Can't say I'm familiar with those - is that what they sometimes call a dump valve? o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. SOCAL2.0

SOCAL2.0 United States Member

I noticed that from park to reverse the shift is not smooth. It has been better after 12,000 miles. If I have park hold engaged then backing out of my driveway is an adventure!

7. Ty Davis

Oh my!
    Let me edit that!

*please excuse the unintentional profanity*
    I meant “shift”

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

I never noticed a problem or delay, but I paid particular attention today and there is definitely no delay or issue with mine..

9. Callum

Callum Greece Stinger Enthusiast

My GT2 has a delay, it’s enough to make me swear under my breathe sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted