Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Traction and Stability control, can you turn yours off?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by Doel, Jan 17, 2019.

Can you completely disable traction and stability control?

1. Yes, RWD with LSD (Limited Slip Differential)

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Yes, RWD without LSD (Limited Slip Differential)

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. Yes, AWD

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  4. No, RWD with LSD (Limited Slip Differential)

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. No , RWD without LSD (Limited Slip Differential)

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. No, AWD

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Eric Arroyo

Eric Arroyo United States Member

Just my two cents, I think it's dependent on the combination of wheel direction, how far the pedal is depressed, and how significant the loss of traction is. This is a complete guess based on my personal experience and from what I've read.

I can get my AWD GT2 to hold sideways, easy, in the snow because I'm still pretty light on the gas and I don't have to cut the wheel as hard to get the rear end to come around.

Conversely, on dry pavement, I need to put the pedal to the floor and turn very hard to get the back end to break loose. Every time I try this the Stinger says, "Nope" and cuts power for about a second until my wheel is straightened back out and I've regained traction.

This might be why most people I see posting about getting the AWD sideways are doing it in a big parking lot. This allows them to turn the wheel less, removing one of the "power cutting" factors.

A few things to try if you're dead set on getting that drift going with an AWD:
    1. Most importantly, be safe. Try these things in a big empty parking lot and definitely not on a public road. Because if this ends up working, you'll probably be in a ditch haha. Seriously though, safety first. Let's not put ourselves or anyone else in danger for the sake of some fun :)
    2. Try to not cut the wheel as hard.
    3. Put it in manual mode and upshift right when you feel the wheels slip. Your turbos will be creating boost at that point, so maybe your tires will keep spinning (just a guess at this point). Also, you'll be at a lower RPM when in second gear so if part of the power cutting is based on RPM, you'll have longer before it kicks in. (Again, just a guess).
    4. Get a set of less sticky tires when you have to replace your existing set. This will obviously drop your 0-60 performance, but the tires will break loose much easier (like they do on snow).
    5. Mod your car to get more power. Same idea as #4.

It's not often that I have a large, empty, parking lot to try this in, but if I ever get a chance and find something that works consistently, I'll report back.

2. laynevans

laynevans Australia Newish Member

I think you're right about the computer kicking in for certain parameters. I tried what felt like exactly the same thing and got different results. But something was obviously slightly different with how hard I turned the wheel or I held the revs a bit lower and did finally get it to spin without the computer stopping the fun.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Smokey! Those tires are finished. Hoon, hoon, hoon! :laugh:

4. ChrisInAtlanta

ChrisInAtlanta United States New Member

Well Idunno. 2019 GT2 AWD, two months in. I LOVE this car! I am. . . <cough! cough!>. . . a rather high end autocrosser. One of my other vehicles is an F500. "Formula 500". You can see my beauty to the left if you are able. An open wheel car designed to do this, and regularly heavily modified to improve it. I sit on the floor, formed back, and the floor is between 1" and 1.5" off the asphalt. Well. I know car control quite well, having done more autocrosses than most SCCA autocrossers have in their lives. I have recently done two autocrosses in the Stinger - warm days and lots of air in the tires, bone stock. "Quite entertaining". Really nice M-series Bimmers before that: Fat race tires, custom-made double-adjustable shocks, crash bolts, as much as I was allowed to do in my class (Super Stock, but they've changed the classes)

I learned after the first launch to build rpms so it would leap out of the start gate. Yes, we all think that touch the throttle and the car leaps forward dramatically - I sure did. It doesn't, in competition. Ten feet and I had to STAND on my brakes, start boxes are usually designed to avoid "drag race starts". And, by the way, if you apply the brakes and you don't both hear and feel the thumping, you have not engaged the ABS and are only partially braking. Standing on the brakes should be done a dozen or more times on a typical course. I flew across a long straight in the first event. Sure, sure, there was a curve there, legal course (SCCA Safety Steward for a decade), and many/most cars at least lifted. But the Michelin Pilots held on (same tires as the 2020 Corvette will have, though their rears will be 20"). I am a somewhat aggressive driver on the street, and have never noticed "turbo lag" in the Stinger. I experienced it there, a number of times. I learned to spin up the turbos well before an acceleration event.

All computers turned off, of course. I slid sideways, had the fronts slide out from under me, and brought the rear tires out as well. I never felt a computer step in an try to control me. Which I feel frequently on the street. No computer can out-drive a person! Well, the recent Corvettes' computers can, as proven by one of the major car magazines who went to considerable effort to turn them all off. (Turn them ALL off in a Corvette and many of them are STILL ACTIVE) and my entirely-manual F500 can kick a Corvette's butt at an autocross. But then my car weighs just 800 pounds with me in it, I'm low in the car, my front tires stand out further than the rears by a couple-three inches, my top speed (gearing) is just a bit faster than I expect to go, etc. It is fascinating to me that our brake rotors will be bigger than the Corvette's. But our cars are a bit porkier.

I turned all of the computers back on for one run at one event. Fifth run of six. Eh, hated it. I could feel it acting as a nanny. But. . . my time for that run equaled my time for my fastest run without computers. Interesting. . . I'm still not sure what that means.

The Stinger is not and will never be a great autocrosser. Too long, too wide, and too heavy. You have to be nimble to excel in an autocross. Dive into a turn too fast - frequent for me - and the car's nose dives into the asphalt as you enter the turn. One of their best drivers rode with me during one run. She gave me some great pointers for a novice. I think that she and I will talk after my first run in the F500 next year. FTD by raw time without question, FTD by Pax near certain. Small club, only two or three competitive teams. New location, new region/club. I LOVE my Stinger. There is nothing wrong with it, engine or transmission, I assure you. I won't mod the engine, more than enough power. But this new suspension box. . . Hmmmmm.

Chris
    Huntington, WV (I had to drive three hours to get a GT2, though I will get Kia service locally)

• Like Like x 2
Draft saved Draft deleted