Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Top speed limiter: how to tell which Stingers have it?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Norskie, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Norskie

Norskie United States New Member

At some point I'll be buying a Stinger GT/GT1/GT2 used.

The Stingers that came with all-season tires have top speed limiters.

In the used market, other than seeing the original window sticker, how can we tell that a specific unit has the speed limiter? Well, without actually trying to go that fast ... VIN # decoder?

2. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States Active Member

Hello Norskie,

You can tell by the wheel size. All of the 18" Wheels have the speed limiter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Norskie

And if the stock wheels were replaced?

4. Luminary

Luminary United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator Sustaining Member +

One of the neat things I have found is that KIA allows you to see the original Window Sticker online for any KIA vehicle, you just need the VIN number. I was able to look up all 7 of my previous KIA's through this tool, going back to 2005.

https://www.kia.com/us/en/data/dealerinventory/windowsticker/YOURVINNUMBERHERE

Hope this helps! :)

Edit: I just noticed this may be for US cars only.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States Active Member

Ahhh. You would have to look at the sticker then. If the OEM 18" Wheels were replaced it would still have the limiter. No good way of telling if they replaced them and dont note what the OEM wheels were.

6. Norskie

Excellent, thanks!

7. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Active Member

Should also be able to tell by the wheel info sticker found in the drivers side door jam. That will always reference the specific wheels that came on the vehicle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Doel

Doel United States Active Member

the door sticker listing the tire specs should also be a good indicator, if it shows 19" no limiter, 18" limiter.

That or just get on the interstate during the test drive and find out for yourself :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

All of them have speed limiters; some are just faster than others. ;)

10. Doel

Doel United States Active Member

do they? What's the limit of the GT? From what I've heard, the top speed is aero/power limited at 167.

11. SOCAL2.0

SOCAL2.0 United States Member

just curious whats the limit on my 2.0 Premium and is it limited by software or HP?

12. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

I never saw any "official" figure for the 2.0T. Or, for that matter, the 18" AWD; Kia only said (in rather fine print at the bottom of the brochure page) that AWD 18" has "reduced top speed". We know that the stated top speed of the 3.3TT is limited to 167 MPH. What the 2.0T is limited to is the same as the GT with 18" wheels and that is around 140 MPH; because the A/S Bridgestones that come as OEM are limited to 150 MPH rated. So even if the 2.0T came with 19" and summer Super Sport Michelin's (rated at 186+ MPH) I doubt it would hit the GT limit of 167. But we could encourage some 2.0T owner to unchip their car and push it to the limit. Nobody, as far as I know, has done this yet. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted