kia stinger store

Tire Rubber Chipping Away

Long Beach Jim

Newish Member
Hello, I just noticed this on my spouse's Stinger passenger side front tire. On the outside edge the rubber has chipped away in several locations. It appears to be on the surface yet I'm still concerned. This is the original factory tire and the car has about 20k miles. Any feedback appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpeg
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 24

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Not "chipping" away, ripped. When you turn your tires without moving, any abrasive objects on the ground under the tire are going to dig into it; I've seen worse damage than yours. I try to always be rolling before I turn the steering wheel. (the exception is when I need to turn my wheels out to spray silicon on my Eibach sway bar bushings: and I've taken to only pivoting my tires on our smooth, uncontaminated driveway)

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
Stop drifting it Mr Vaughn Gittin.

G

G-11183

Not "chipping" away, ripped. When you turn your tires without moving, any abrasive objects on the ground under the tire are going to dig into it; I've seen worse damage than yours. I try to always be rolling before I turn the steering wheel. (the exception is when I need to turn my wheels out to spray silicon on my Eibach sway bar bushings: and I've taken to only pivoting my tires on our smooth, uncontaminated driveway)
Thank you. I was worried that it was a tire defect or alignment issue. I suppose it’s nothing to worry about unless I see something really deep. I’ll take it to a tire store just to be safe.

G

G-641822

It's called cupping. Once the tread on high performance tires wears down to a certain point, the tires begin to cup along the outside edges. Those factory tires are only rated for about 20k miles. I replaced mine when that happened with 50k warranty tires. Very happy with the new tires.

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
Y’all are so funny. Getting 20k on PS4 tires. Lol. I barely got 11k. On par with what I used to get with PSS on the Mousestang.
And no, I don’t launch. I don’t do burnouts. I don’t track it.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Y’all are so funny. Getting 20k on PS4 tires. Lol. I barely got 11k. On par with what I used to get with PSS on the Mousestang.
And no, I don’t launch. I don’t do burnouts. I don’t track it.
Leaving some of us to wonder why you can't get at least 15K out of them. You must drive angry.

Mike_TX

Stinger Enthusiast
North Texas
I've just clocked 10k on mine, and they look very good. I hope to get another 10k out of them if I don't trade before then. But I don't lay down rubber stripes or see how many G's I can pull on offramps.

Either way, it's one reason I didn't want a GT2 ... at 15k miles a year, 15k tire life, and $300/tire, that basically adds an extra $100/mo to my lease cost. I'd be perfectly happy with some good A/S's rated at 50k miles.

But I'm smitten with the Hyundai Santa Cruz right now, at least until I can see one in person, and the Stinger may get traded for one next year.