Thoughts on laptop 12700h/16gb/512gb/3050ti $1100

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
If you say so...

Still haven't answered the question. How is it beneficial for non-game use??

wildpig1234

If you say so...

Still haven't answered the question. How is it beneficial for non-game use??
It might when you need to use it for photoshop and video editing. Many productivity and gfx and video software uses gfx acceleration. The 3070 runs circles around 3050ti

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

Ric 'Ochet

Stinger Enthusiast

This will NOT be used for gaming. Mostly general use, productivity, maybe other more intensive tasks.

key selling points for me

* multiple usb ports, 3 usb 3 gen 1 type A, 2 usb c, one of them with thunderbolt 4
* ram not soldered. 16gb is adequate, although I prefer at least 32
* 2 m.2 pcie4 slots
* matte, bright display (500 nits), 2560x1600
* 80 mah battery, 4-5 hrs for this type of config

It has wifi 6e (ax211), and on board gig ethernet (rtl8111). Seems like well rounded specs.

Thoughts?
I bought this exact setup for my son who is a gamer..I swapped out to the Asus F15 at BestBuy with the same generation processor, same RAM and Memory, however the video card is the RTX 3070 which is much better than the 3050ti in almost every way, and it was $999. I bought upgraded M.2 2TB Samsung 980 Pro for $189.. this thing should scream as the most expensive component in any of these things is the damn video card…

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
I just don't need a 3070 or even a 3060. The lenovo has a brighter and higher res screen (2560x1600, 500 nits, hdr support).

bfglitch

I just don't need a 3070 or even a 3060. The lenovo has a brighter and higher res screen (2560x1600, 500 nits, hdr support).
Honestly you know what your priorities are for the system. If you don't intend on doing anything that requires higher GPU performance and other parts of the system with the lower end GPU fit your needs better, than there's no point in getting the system with a higher end GPU just to settle on other parts. Not everyone has a need for a high performance GPU.

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
Honestly you know what your priorities are for the system. If you don't intend on doing anything that requires higher GPU performance and other parts of the system with the lower end GPU fit your needs better, than there's no point in getting the system with a higher end GPU just to settle on other parts. Not everyone has a need for a high performance GPU.
Heat generation and power consumption might be another consideration. The 3070 will generate more heat when used, and draw more power(?). And then there's the fan noise when it does need more cooling.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

wildpig1234

The Legion 5 Pro with 11th gen H cpu and 3070 does have the 1600p 165hz screen. I have this myself and using it right now...

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
^^My comment was in response to Ric 'Ochet's comment about the bestbuy asus F15. Got to watch it end this morning. At the stroke of midnight, went to $1500 or $1600 :).

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
Lenovo offering 4 yrs onsite for $100 after 25% off (middle column, 48 months).
1669236013793.png

Seems like a no brainer? Technically 2 yrs as it comes with 1yr mail in. With year 2 covered by cost co.

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
Watching the news last night I had seconds thoughts about the laptop. Amazon laying off thousands of people was not very encouraging. Grocery and energy prices skyrocketing. Depending who you ask, we're either already in a full blown recession or will be in the very near future.

As such, I realized discretionary spending should be curtailed. It's not like I don't have a working laptop at the moment (even if it is a decade old), and have several current desktops. No loss of computing power here in one form or another.

This morning wiped the machine then returned it back to costco. I can reconsider next year if I want it so bad and things improve.....

Last edited:

boosted1g

AZ
Probably a good call. The diesel fuel shortage is going to cause some more inflation for sure, not to mention railroad strikes.

Zero faith at this point in any policies/ actions taken that will actually help the situation.

wildpig1234

I just got a lenovo ideapad 3 with 5600h and 3050ti for $535, tax included for my gf. it's at bestbuy for $550. but i got additional work related discount on lenovo site. You should consider that.

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
^^I got the 12700k/asus z690 board deal from microcenter for $350 OTD ($25 coupon). That should keep me entertained for a min or two. Have an old samdung 32" S32D850T I'll be hooking up to it. Not very portable however ;(

Trying to make time to watch this uninterrupted. That will give me something to play around with on those cold dreary winter nights.

https://www. youtube .com/watch?v=fBrlgLZrFaI Link broken intentionally.

boosted1g

AZ
^^I got the 12700k/asus z690 board deal from microcenter for $350 OTD ($25 coupon). That should keep me entertained for a min or two. Have an old samdung 32" S32D850T I'll be hooking up to it. Not very portable however ;(

Trying to make time to watch this uninterrupted. That will give me something to play around with on those cold dreary winter nights.

https://www. youtube .com/watch?v=fBrlgLZrFaI Link broken intentionally.
Damn that's a really good price, wish I had a microcenter near by.
Looking at same hardware, wanting to build a new server and run VMware esxi so I can virtualize a few systems.
Really bummed that there are no lga 1700 boards that can do x8/x8 as I have both a raid card and dual 10gb card I want to run.
Also lame that most all boards are running realtek nics again instead of Intel.

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
From brief google searches it does not appear that esxi yet supports the performence.efficient core architecture. You may run into issues with such a set up.

Interestingly, there is a setting in that board (asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4) in the bios for bifurcation (8x/8x).

I didn't find anything on amazon but did find this -

Appears to be exactly what you're looking for. Whether that will work with a pcie 5.0 slot is unknown, but I don't see why not. Higher pcie versions are backward compatible (usually).

What's the raid card in question? How many and what type of devices will you be hooking up?

Realtek is not so bad these days.. The rtl8125b works quite well. It's serving the lan side in my proxmox box. ~280MB/s on iperf tests in either direction between multiple rtl8125's on the network.

The asus board above has 2 x16 physical slots,

* pcie 5.0 x16 physical/electrical
* pcie 3.0 x16 physical/ x4 electrical

1 pcie 3.0 x4 (physical/electrical)*
2 pcie 3.0 x1 (physical/electrical)

*The x4 slot can possibly support a x8 card if you dremel out the edge of the connector. Look for youtube video d9sn7hfHcrM. I'd use a much smaller bit for more cutting precision.

You could possibly get away with putting your raid card in a x4 slot depending on how many what type of devices to be used.

1669571015243.png