Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

This is how I spent my lunch today

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Revvdmedia, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada 1000 Posts Club!

I'm fine, other than some soreness in the back. Wasn't a huge hit, and wasn't my fault. Dashcam footage will back it up.

I really want it written off, but not sure if there is enough damage. Maybe hood, definitely front bumper, fender, headlight, driver door, probably side skirt, and wheel for sure. No idea if there is any suspension or axle damage from the hit.

If I get it back, now I have to deal with some level of depreciation, that sucks. Also, driving a really crap rental, Mitsubishi RVR. Ugh. No remote start, no heated steering wheel, no nothing really lol. I might ask for something better if this is going to drag out. Of course it's going to be -30 shortly, so no remote start REALLY sucks.

Car.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

Man that’s really sucks. Sorry to see and hear but if you are OK that is what’s important. Keep an eye on the back ache though.

No side airbags go off? With the door, fender, bumper, wheel, etc and any mechanicals that’ll be pricey but definitely shouldn’t be totaled unless something major and unseen in the pic is bent or worse, which I would doubt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RedCal

RedCal Canada Member

That SUCKS!.... I think the new normal is if the damage is more than 30% of the value, then they write it off...

4. Nasscar

Nasscar Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Feel sorry for you Revv. Damn bad luck.

5. Never thought

Never thought United States 1000 Posts Club!

That sucks! You can ask for additional damages to cover depreciation based on the accident if it is not totaled.

6. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

Not what I expected at all by the thread title. :eek::cry:

It doesn't look like a totaled car judging just by the pic. The other car is totaled or I'd be shocked otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CKeeler

CKeeler United States Stinger Enthusiast

Wow. Sorry you had to go through that. Glad to know you’re OK.

The underlying damage will dictate whether or not it will be totaled. One of my previous cars had damage to the suspension mounts and the insurance didn’t want to take a chance on whether or not it would come out OK so they just totaled it. Despite everything else being fixable, if one part of it could possibly come back and not be right, and continue to cost the insurance company money they’ll just total it.

8. Revvdmedia

Considering all the parts I see that needed to be fixed, and the fact that a part like the headlight alone is 1600 usd (more in Canadaland) plus I have a loaded model with all the goodies in the front bumper, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 15-20k damage without anything else wrong.

Thanks for the replies all. We will see how this plays out but I'm very uncertain what I plan to do in either situation whether fixed or paid out. I don't trust fixes but if no other underlying damage to suspension or frame, I might drive it a while longer to offset depreciation dur to the accident. Who knows. Itll probably take 3 months to get the parts lol.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

Hang in there!

10. Hockster

Hockster Canada Active Member

Shitty deal, I hate driving in this city.

11. turboAWD

turboAWD United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Dang, I hate to see that.. Glad you're ok.

Makes me glad the worst thing we get here is frost - the youngest was all happy that there was frost on all the roofs today - around +4-5C when driving them to school. After shoveling snow in Ontario for ~25 winters, I MUCH prefer to deal with snow on my terms - as in, if I WANT snow, I drive 2-3 hours and have lots of it. But it never follows me home :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Fingers crossed a new car is coming your way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Revvdmedia

I will say that this occurrence was 100% preventable if the person that hit me would have started slowing down earlier (or was paying attention, who knows with cell phones these days!), but I will admit that the roads are beyond atrocious in some areas right now. Literal skating (or curling) rinks. They did have winter tires, I was curious and looked lol.

Looking at the footage again (I won't put it up anywhere until all the legalities and insurance is resolved), the person's back end came out, but they did steer into me as I can see their wheels were turned in my direction. Had they turned the other way, into the right turn and continued, there would be a good chance this wouldn't have happened.

Going to the DR tomorrow to get the mild soreness documented, because you never know. The wife had what I thought was a really minor accident (similar angle) and ever since, she sporadically will be limping around the house saying that her leg is numb and isn't working properly, so it seems even small hits can cause some damage. Either that or maybe her couch sessions are too long, who knows! lol

14. Hockster

Hockster Canada Active Member

It's sure a good thing that the 9000000 photo radar sites in town are just to make the roads safer.

15. Revvdmedia

If I put bumper stickers on my car, I would get one that says "Give our photo radar a brake."

16. Revvdmedia

I had a good amount of time on the 5 hours of highway driving this weekend to think about how I want to proceed on this situation. The precursor was the fact I have already been considering selling the Stinger later this year depending on how the year turned out, this only seals the deal.

If the car was written off (total loss), I'd jump on that with no argument, especially since I carry a limited waiver of depreciation which is still valid.

If the car is repaired, I'm completely certain that I am going to be continually bothered by the fact I am paying for a salvage title vehicle, but at a new car price. Also, my even larger concern is the fact I have already been fighting the dealer for popping sunroof noises, and a plethora of others that I haven't bothered to bring up. I know the repair shop will be sourcing the OEM replacement parts through my regular dealer, and I'm certain they will somehow become aware the car has been involved in a collision. Since I already can't seem to get fixes out of them, having collision damage will only give them even more leverage to deny my claims, so I'm considering the fact that I likely won't get anything further fixed on the car (other than legitimate failures of items). For the sake of my sanity, I see no other logical outcome than to get rid of the car. I only hope that I am able to persuade the insurance company of the offender to offer some type of settlement to offset the diminished value of the car due to the collision, I'm certain this is a thing, and I've inquired with a family friend in the insurance industry regarding this.

My big dilemma now is what do I replace the Stinger with? I will not purchase another Stinger, and I have a foul taste for Korean built cars lately after two ownership experiences. I don't want to touch domestic. Japanese seems plausible but nothing stands out. Of all options, I'm currently leaning towards a Golf R in a small field of options. It's built on a solid chassis, is well into its generation and should have all kinks ironed out. I would lose a sunroof, a bit of engine sound, hud and a few features, but I looked into that car before the Stinger and other than the fact it's relatively expensive "for a Golf," it seems to hit a very nice mark right between performance and comfort, with good build. I'd also only consider a lease so I don't feel such an obligation to keep it mint for resell, and I can care less about some defects since it will eventually be turned over to be someone else's problem.

Curious to see if there are some other options I've missed, but I'd like to retain some level of performance, gain some refinement that the Stinger didn't deliver, and isn't outrageously expensive (preferably under 50K CAD or thereabouts). All the premium German cars get too expensive once optioned, and Japanese cars somewhat similar, plus often missing the mark of exactly what I want, like the 10K premium they charge to make it a coupe rather than a sedan. I would like a smaller car.

Of course, this whole "new car" situation is under the assumption that they're going to fix the Stinger. I just see it being easier to trade rather than to sell to the terrible lowballers in our city, just get it over with. If I was paid out for the car completely, that gives me options in the used market with the equity.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada 1000 Posts Club!

That’s sucks hope your ok, you never seemed happy with the Stinger, check out the CT5 or the G70.

18. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

so sad !! glad you are OK . Get a new Telluride .....................you need something completely different now !!

19. Revvdmedia

Been following the G70 on the Genesis Forums, they have the same sunroof issues. That Caddy looks big, would be nice to have a smaller car, I don't need a big car at all. Thanks for some suggestions though.

20. Revvdmedia

I said I wanted something SMALLER...LOL! That thing is huge.

Also, given a choice, I will choose a car over an SUV any day. I just don't make enough money to buy what I'd really like...like Porsches, etc.

• Funny Funny x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted