Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

The Stinger reminds me of a ...

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by YOWStinger, May 12, 2019.

1. YOWStinger

YOWStinger Canada Active Member

One of the things that I like about the Stinger, from a design perspective, is that it's taken some of my favorite aspects of other cars over the years and pulled them into a seamless package that is uniquely a Singer. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I thought I would pull a couple of pics together.

On the flip side, I was wondering why there was something bothering me about the back of the car, and then I remembered.

B087A8FA-0D2C-4BD1-8EA9-2C701A10C797.jpeg
    AC52D3D0-E995-4FF1-BA5B-DAD0E6049DB3.jpeg
    The side markers were never one of my favourite details.

But then there's the big booty of the Stinger that reminds me of this, which I love.

BE1DBA4A-2A16-4766-AB3E-E9710C1E9D95.jpeg

There are certain things that the Stinger did better than what must have been some of the original inspiration, which sometimes looks a little wonky.

ADCFCD00-F3E7-4F92-85B8-80F8DB42E243.jpeg

Anyone else have any design favourites or dislikes? I have a few more I'll post later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Shrikecorp

Shrikecorp United States Active Member Sustaining Member

Obviously...to me the A7 brought the idea of a serious lift back to the table.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Manaz

Manaz Australia Active Member

I see Jag in the rear...

4. Shrikecorp

Several cues appear here and on the Stinger:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

The designers said it themselves, the Maserati specifically from the 70s was their retro inspiration. This modern comparison still shows shared design cues:
    IMG_20181010_165330.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Manaz

Manaz Australia Active Member

I see Maserati, Jag (KXR), the SVX was a surprise (but a valid one), I even see aspects of Corvette in it.

I think it's a beautiful melding of many styles, and I think that's one of the things that really makes it special.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Shrikecorp

It's a bit reminiscent of my old Genesis sedan in the sense of melding designs. That car owed a great deal to early 2000s S-class (front) and the Infiniti M (rear)...but it worked for me.

8. Crisis

Crisis Canada Active Member

i took my car to the drag strip this weekend to participate in the "Street Legal Drags" event. It was funny that the track announcer originally thought my car was a Porsche and during about my 4th run, he was corrected and said "oh, it's a Kia.... Stinger. Never heard of one of those animals".

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. YOWStinger

Alright, here's my next one. I find this one a little hard to capture in photographs of a Stinger, but I think we can all generally agree that this car has nice hips. The tapering rear windshield / hatch gives the car a nice wide stance at the back. Maybe not as pronounced as the reigning king of hips, the Porsche 911, or silver medalist the Nissan 370z, but they're still there, which is impressive given the size and interior space of the car, or the fact that it'll seat 3 more people than either of the above 2 medalists.

5000032_1_low-af1f17b0.jpg
    370z.png
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The federation stinger gets a little extra help from the meaty rear tires and improved stance from springs, but doesn't have the forum now pretty much have both?

10. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

The other cars cars have a much more "organic" shape/design , the Stinger is more angular and would look right with a "fat ass" .....imho

11. Mike_TX

Mike_TX United States Active Member

Not that I like it (because i don't), but the tail lights on the Stinger look like a direct rip of the Dodge Charger (minus the connector trim strip).

[​IMG]

12. Shrikecorp

13. GenesisG70

GenesisG70 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Stinger it's unique stop making it look like it looks like other cars.:)

14. YOWStinger

It is definitely unique, I just thought it was interesting where the inspiration came from. Especially the front fascia.

The SVX is actually what started it for me, for a few weeks I've been thinking "where have I seen these wrap around lights before"

15. Chucky

Chucky United States Member

Audi 7 and Sportback 5 series all day for the shape size and hatchback design. Stinger is the clear winner here hands down:
    Wheelbase Length Width Height Price 0-60
    2019 KIA Stinger
    114 190 74 55 $52k 4.4
    2018 Audi A7: 115 196 75 56 $68k 4.7
    2018 Audi RS 5: 111 187 73 55 $88k 3.8
    Looks more like the RS 5 with the hood line, wheels and brake calipers in the last pic.
    FYI the 2019 RS 7 isn't out yet but a 2017 with <10k miles is $90k; 2018 >$100k if you can find one
    Stinger Audi A7.jpg
    2018 Audi A7 $68K above 2017 Audi RS 7 $90k below
    2018-audi-rs-7.png
    2018 Audi RS 5 Sportback $88k (awesome car I test drove one)
    Audi RS5 Sportback.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Shrikecorp

I find the below comparison interesting. Position of the wheels in front is very different, obviously...kind of funny, a company I tend to associate with minimal front end overhang took this direction with a great lot of metal hanging out there, whereas ours is nice and tidy by comparison. But general lines and placement of design notes aft of there...definite similarities.

8 Gran Coupe.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. YOWStinger

Yes, I remember parking on the street, and walking out of a shop one day to see my car and thinking how little overhang there is at the front, there's almost nothing there.

18. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

What is that? 8 series rendered with 4 doors?

19. Shrikecorp

20. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Draft saved Draft deleted