1. The Kia Stinger Owners Group is a private community. Please login or register to unlock the full content.
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

The Kia Stinger - A Daily Driver's perspective. Ask me questions!

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Windmill, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Windmill

Windmill Member

I have received the car last month from an early order & have been dailying it since.

A member of the FB Oppo Group has suggested that I'd be able to help with answers to your questions. Answers will take a few hours, since it's 11:40 PM here and I am about to fall asleep.

Drop any questions regarding the car, the drive & etc pretty much anything!
    I will be glad to answer & help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. davebo

davebo Member

Well I see it's the GT version so that answers my first question. Second would be what kind of real-world fuel economy are you getting with it? Either mpg or L/100km, however you measure it there is fine.

3. BahamaTodd

BahamaTodd New Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. eljay

eljay Member

Welcome, and thanks so much for being willing to answer our questions. I'm guessing you'll be inundated at first!

What can you tell us about the capacity of the cargo area, with the seats in place or with them down? For instance, how tall of an item can we carry with the window shade in place? Since many members have mentioned that they want to haul work-related items, and others bikes and sports equipment, any information on this will be very appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jumpy

Jumpy Member

What are your thoughts on the driving experience?

• Like Like x 1
  6. delirium

delirium New Member

Welcome! I have several questions regarding infotainment and car handling.

1. Do you have really bad traffic jams when average speed goes as low as 12-14 km/h? If so what is fuel consumption looks like? Does eco mode help a lot in terms of fuel economy? I know it's strange to expect some fuel economy from tt 3.3l engine but still :p
    2. Can you share your expression about seats? How many degrees of freedom have lumbar support? (ie can you move it only back and forth or there is the option to lift it up and move it down as well?)
    3. Do you know who the map provider is? HERE? Is it possible to get updates online or visiting a dealer is a must? I've heard KIA doesn't bother itself when it comes down to frequent maps updates. Guys from the UK have to use dated maps because KIA feeding them with bullshit http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...spite-promising-fix-problem-earlier-year.html
    4. Did you test android auto? Does voice recognition work well? Does infotainment system works smooth?
    5. And the last but not the least. Have you had a chance to drive German rivals? If so how is your Stinger compared to them?

• Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  7. moinmoin

moinmoin Member

@Windmill, welcome to the forum and making yourself available for questioning by a whole bunch of strangers.

I would like to know whether you were pleasantly surprised when you received your vehicle.
    Pleasantly surprised by the smell, build quality, paint job, the sound, the comfort, the overall quality.
    Did you make the right choice? Would you buy it again? Recommend it to your friends / enemies? Have you had to take it back already for adjustments?

Lots for you to answer. Take your time. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bamm1

Bamm1 Active Member Founding Member

Welcome and thanks for being so willing to help out the community!

I am curious about throttle response. Hit the accelerator and ?????
    Instantly take off or there is a percivable lag before the car begins to move?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skyguy

Skyguy Member

I'd really like to know what the stitching on the steering wheel is like.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger Administrator Staff Member

Wow! How lucky is @Windmill! Welcome aboard! Thank you for signing up, for posting pictures and for answering questions! This is great... :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. davebo

davebo Member

Also, how do you get a license plate with all 6's like that?

• Like Like x 1
  12. hej

hej Active Member Founding Member

May I recommend that you answer the thread questions with YouTube videos, if making them isn't too much trouble? Personally, I'm curious about:
    • seat comfort
    • quality of materials, in terms of luxury and perceived durability. E.g. does the leather seem to be pretty thick and durable?
    • how good or bad is the ride over sharper bumps

• Like Like x 5
  13. David

David Member

How sporty is the daily-driverness of this car? Does it feel a sports car? Or more comfortable? Also, how are you finding the road noise and the autonomous driving features.

14. app_master

app_master Stinger Enthusiast Founding Member

Nice color choice, Windmill.
    How is the paint quality/finish?

• Like Like x 1
  15. delirium

delirium New Member

It seems @Windmill saw amount of questions and gave up.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Skyguy

Skyguy Member

The wind must have been a bit strong.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Mike_10

Mike_10 New Member

1) what other cars have you owned previously?
    2) what other cars did you seriously consider ?
    3) Initial driving thoughts ?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Windmill

Windmill Member

It's a 3.3TT, so in-city it gets around ~15L/100km, whilst on highways it can reach up to 7L/100km.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Windmill

Windmill Member

Car can carry a fully loaded golf bag without folding the seats. with the seats folded, it can carry lumber, bicycles (either the foldable nor the unfoldable kind ) and many other things.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Windmill

Windmill Member

Thanks for the questions! Some of your critical questions are the ones I have partially answered before. I have prepared a long answer.

Tight highway exists @80mph possible. Make a mistake? Stock Brembo 4p/2p does their work.

Acceleration as advertised; 0-60 in less than 5 irl in sport mode. In comfort/eco mode the throttle response is just as if the gearbox is having an identity crisis. This is because Hyundai/Kia cars achieve decent MPGs by limiting throttle rather than further engine R&D (idk when they'll ditch GDi), so when fully flooring on comfort mode, car responds half a second late. Flooring out on SPORT mode is satisfying & is quite nimble but you'll never reach MPG as marketed.

It's a Kia but a near 50K one.
    It smells like a 70K Audi. Lexicon speakers,
    HUD, 4 parking cams surrounding the car gives me a complete 360 view while reversing into impossible abysses.

And, modes.

Eco - can achieve 13-15km/L on open roads. 4km/L in the city because of the twin snails.

Pedaling feels like stepping on a loaf of soggy bread & car accelerates slowly unless half a second passes after floored.

Comfort - little softer than eco, but difference is marginal. car feels little bit stiffer than a G80 Gen. Definitely rides better than a 5 series according to my preference.

Not the cosiest, feels like a floating office chair but a fine one.

Sport - Quicker! Stiffer! 4.8sec 0-60, will soon reach 120 even when 1/3 floored when you've never expected a Kia to do so. still feels like I'm floating on an office arm chair.
    feels like being pushed off a ski slope on an office arm chair. Goodbye fuel economy!

YOU CAN COMPLETELY OVERRIDE THE AUTO BOX AND SHIFT ONLY USING PADDLES ON SPORT MODE

Custom
    - you can tweak the car to your preference. I've set mine as engine/trans on eco, suspension on comfort & exhausts on sport because I wanted to sound like an idiot while still saving fuel.

Auto trans does its work. It shifts rather soft even on sport & the only thing I can tell when this thing changes gears is the RPM change on the speedo.

If you enjoy aggressive shifting, fiddling with the paddle shifties are quite fun.

It'll have some issues & following criticisms, but one thing for sure is that the Koreans have came a long way. This ain't no tincan Sonata from 20 years ago.

Having driven many Korean cars of various sizes and uses, this one was by far the most satisfying.

The only things a normal Ghibli has that is better than this car - is the noisy exhaust and the shiny badge.

• Like Like x 9