Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Temporary Spare Tyres for a Stinger - WTF?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Trimster, Feb 13, 2020 at 5:33 PM.

1. Trimster

Trimster Australia Newish Member

Hello people

As previously posted I am looking at getting a Stinger over the next year, and after some good advice have decided to fork out the extra bucks and get a top line GT with all the mod cons.

Looking through the online specs I notice one glaring problem, spare wheel type "temporary spare".

Now is it just me, or does driving a 272 kW/510 Nm (about 360 HP?) Stinger on a tyre with substandard performance specs compared to the other 3 tyres, mean a form of suicide?

I do country driving, and driving on such roads with one of these mounted, does not seem to me a good idea.

Questions I have from the Stinger Gurus is this;

1) Can the boot / tyre well fit a full sized wheel?

2) If not, is there space and mountings to safely store a full size wheel?

3) If I do get a full size spare wheel, is it preferable to get a front tyre spec 225/40 ZR19, or rear tyre spec 225/35 ZR19?

Cheers

Trimster

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Lol.

buy a pickup.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. G70 Owner

G70 Owner United States Member

When you put on a spare you slow down and only use it to get to the tire shop...are you saying you want the spare to be your replacement tire? Or are you thinking of a Jeep where it has another full size tire hitched to the back?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CKeeler

CKeeler United States Stinger Enthusiast

No. A full size will not fit in the back, unless you don’t care about trunk space. I recently had to utilize my spare. It drove fine with it. Had to keep it under 55mph, but that’s the whole reason for a “temporary” spare. It’s just meant to get you to a safe place.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Trimster

Trimster Australia Newish Member

G70 Owner">
    In country Australia tyre shops are not exactly around the corner, depending on where you are it can be over 150km (about 100 mile) to the nearest tyre store that can help. On top of that most are only open during business hours, and Saturdays if your lucky, so not a good fall back position to assume an open tyre store is handy nearby when getting a flat.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

You're borrowing trouble. A spare will go a lot farther than 100 miles. As said, just keep your speed down and go directly to the tire shop; or home, whichever works best. Or, keep a full wheel and tire ready in the hatch. You'll still have lots of room left. :D

And welcome to the forum; I missed you the first time around. :thumbup:

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. G70 Owner

G70 Owner United States Member

AAA says not more than 50: https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/how-long-can-you-drive-on-a-spare-tire

8. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

G70 Owner">
    Yeah, I know. But that is to protect themselves. Kia also says c. 50 (iirc; or is that on zero flat tires? Maybe both). But a temporary spare can definitely go way farther than that when new. A worn temporary spare, maybe problematic. Perhaps after running the temp, you should just replace it anyway. There is also the added likelihood that the temp has been in the hatch for years down the road, i.e. is no longer considered viable from a materials degradation standpoint. We know that smart drivers replace their old tires even if they have a lot of tread left at the recommended half dozen years or so. Especially an UHP tire should not be driven like that when that old. You're asking to die.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. eflyguy

eflyguy 2500 Posts Club!

Sounds like the Stinger is not the vehicle for you.

Neither would many others. My Sorento (mid-sized SUV) also comes with an "emergency spare" with similar limitations. Last vehicle I bought with a "full size spare" was my F150 in 2003. Heck, even some Stingers come without a spare at all, like many other vehicles they include a "repair kit" - a can of fix-a-flat, and a compressor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Rob M

Rob M United States Active Member

I have a Chrysler Crossfire... No spare tire. Bought it new and drove it home 800+ miles and midway suffered a large puncture. Car came with compressor and fix a flat which just oozed out the hole and never sealed it. Called a 24 hr towing company to come out and attempt to plug. The large plug held and i drove 400 miles home like that. Though I can't recommend it.... I drove 20k+ miles on that tire and replaced it after its 12th year of service, lol. What I do now is carry around a simple vulcanized rubber tire plug kit (plugs, reamer, insertion tool) and a pair of needle nose pliers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CKeeler

CKeeler United States Stinger Enthusiast

I almost wonder how much deeper the trunk would be if it only had a repair kit and small compressor instead of a spare tire. Hmmmmm, @Chris71 you’re always messing with something on your car. Care to look into it? lol

12. OliverNuther

OliverNuther Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Anyhoo, back to Trimster’s original question. @Trimster, you are entirely correct in surmising you might have trouble sourcing a new tyre in country Victoria. Even in Brisbane I once had to wait 4 days for a Continental in my size to be tracked down. You’ll be on Michelin PS4s but I would imagine they’re hard to find out the back of Bourke also. I have no experience with the space saver spare so I can’t provide any advice on driving distance, conditions etc other than to say I wouldn’t like to be driving too far on country roads on one, particularly if it’s the left side tyre where you might be periodically on and off the bitumen.

13. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia 2500 Posts Club!

This is poor lop sided " Budgee " ....the owner advised she drove under 50km/hr and had to travel 3kms to the tyre shop.
    Another person said they had to drive on their space saver spare for over 200kms, from Bathurst to Dubbo but he wouldn't do it again.:eek:

IMG_3304.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia 1000 Posts Club!

If you're so worried about having to run a temporary solution then ditch the original tyres and buy a full set of run flats. A spare tyre phobia is no reason to not buy this great car.
    It's no different to most recent vehicle offerings.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Nasscar

Nasscar Australia 1000 Posts Club!

You could always call roadside assist. It comes standard when servicing with Kia.

16. Nasscar

Nasscar Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Run flats are expensive and may adversely affect the ride. Agreed, all manufacturers are going this way nowadays. Cheaper and more luggage room I suppose.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 8:47 AM
  17. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada 1000 Posts Club!

This is the case with most spare tires on many cars. It says right on the sidewall not to exceed a specific MPH. I had to run my spare to drive about 20kms once, handling was squirrely for sure, but you just take your time and don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend runflats, I'd say they're even less safe to drive on versus an undersized inflated spare.

18. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Out of curiosity do you think other performance cars are rolling around with full-sized spares?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 87and66

87and66 United States Active Member

that looks hilarious :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. NismoDPB

NismoDPB United States Active Member

I think you are going to find a similar case with most cars. There are many performance cars that dont even carry a spare these days. Not only that, many stinger configs have a staggered tire setup so your full size spare would only be good as a temp depending on which tire you had to replace.

I dont think a spare should be causing you this much agony over which car you are going to buy. If it is that important to you I would honestly just keep a supply kit in the car (for these moments in the boonies) and pay for a good road side assistance service.

• Agree Agree x 2
Draft saved Draft deleted