kia stinger store

Taillights blink on video

Roadpig58

Newish Member
Question- why are my rear taillight running lights blinking on video from my phone?
Also, I have a 2021 gt and the middle strip between the taillights does not light up? Thanks

Stock_stinger

the blink is usually because of frame rate flicker. the led's are turning on and off thousands of times a second. your camera clicks on a few of those "off" cycles so it looks odd

Roadpig58

Newish Member
So the rear taillight running lights are led’s along with the brake lights and turn signals? The brake lights and turn signals do not blink on the same phone video on when activated, I’m guessing it’s their brightness when on that’s masking the frame rate blink??

Roadpig58

Newish Member
So the rear taillight running lights are led’s along with the brake lights and turn signals? The brake lights and turn signals do not blink on the same phone video when activated, I’m guessing it’s their brightness when on that’s masking the frame rate blink??

NS_Stinger

1000 Posts Club!
Yes everything back there is LED and the flickering is totally normal on video. The middle of your lights doesnt light up because it's not lit, the 2022 model Stinger will light up in the center though.

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
Part out.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Cowboy says that one a lot. :D

Aarvix

North TX
LEDs are typically dimmed using PWM (pulse width modulation). They turn on/off many times per second, the more "off" time they have versus "on" time makes them appear dimmer. This happens faster than the eye can see, but cameras have a habit of snagging one of the "off cycles" making them appear to flicker.

sting me

Sustaining Member +
LEDs are typically dimmed using PWM (pulse width modulation). They turn on/off many times per second, the more "off" time they have versus "on" time makes them appear dimmer. This happens faster than the eye can see, but cameras have a habit of snagging one of the "off cycles" making them appear to flicker.
Yup. Cameras with adjustable shutter speeds can often be set to compensate for this. It's similar to the reason why you couldn't easily film CRT TVs and computer displays without flicker. Many display technologies rely on high speed tricks like that to fool our eyes into seeing specific effects.