Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Tail gate trim removal

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by yunis, Aug 8, 2018.

1. yunis

yunis Australia New Member

Hey guys,

Has anyone here removed their plastic tail gate trim before?Do I just pop it off with a plastic pry tool? looking for any advice/things to be cautious of before I attempt to do it and install my dash cam.

Cheers

2. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

ask a body shop , most trim comes off relatively easily with a pry tool , but .................................

3. bumble bee

bumble bee United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Intresting question my friend!

4. Jp1i

Jp1i Canada Newish Member

IF you’re referring to the trim just below the third brake light they pop right off with a trim removal tool. The middle one is held on by 4 pressure fit push pins. Just pry gently. Once the middle one is off, taking off either of the ones on the side is a breeze. I’m assuming you’re trying to get to the grommets so you can fish the wire through to the rear. I recently installed front and rear dash cam on my stinger.

Only thing I will tell you is the 2 push pins in the rear for the headliner must be removed by getting underneath them and pinching as you pry down. I did not do that broke both off. Apparently Kia does not keep those in stock and if you want an oem replacement must buy a new headliner altogether at a price of $2500 CDN!! Hope this helps, good luck with the install!!
    If you need more info let me know!

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Madman

Madman Australia Active Member Sustaining Member

Assume you didn't buy a new one? What did you do?

6. yunis

Thanks Jp1i! I really appreciate your reply!
    I have removed the cover beneath the brake light, but now you have me a little weary on removing the headliner clips. Did yours brake while using a removal tool? I am now thinking of trying to feed the cable through using a cable tie instead!

7. Madman

Can you please document your journey? I want to do the same shortly and would love to learn from your...errr...opportunities. Thanks.

8. Jp1i

Just went to a local parts store and bought a 6mm push pin that resembled the oem ones. Worked like a charm!

9. Jp1i

As I was prying with the trim removal tool on the headliner push pins I didn’t pinch them enough and exerted to much downward force, hence why they broke. What I would have done differently would have been to grab a second removal tool and pinch the clip. I think needle nose pliers would work effectively as well. Just take your time and be patient.

10. Madman

Perhaps you can sell them to Kia for, say...$1800? Everyone's a winner then.

11. Jp1i

I’m hopeful in due time OEM parts will be more readily available for our cars. As of now can’t even source part numbers for specific parts online. Even while looking for the headliner push pins, the parts manager at the Kia dealership had a heck of a time trying to find a parts number for them! In the end, they don’t have a specific parts number.

12. yunis

I managed to get the cable to where I wanted Jp1i! Once again cheers for the help! My method was a little different, basically I pulled down the rear passenger weather rubbers and also the rubbers from the tailgate to access underneath the headliner. I fed the cable from the rear passenger side headliner using a 400mm cable tie and pulled it out the tailgate side. I used another cable tie of the same length and fed it down the rubber grommet between the vehicle and tailgate, attached the two cable ties together with electrical tape and pulled the cable upwards and there you go! Camera cable is now in the tailgate area! The rest is straightforward from there. It's a little tedious but with a little exploring and planning it actually isnt too hard!

I actually managed to snap 2 out of 4 clips on the tailgate trim beneath the rear stop light as I did not use the right tool, but fixed them with a little super glue!
    Hope this makes sense to anyone who else wanting to install the rear camera! Quite happy to also explain further if need be.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted