Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Surround View Monitor - Let's do this

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by Callum, Sep 27, 2018.

1. soulevo8

soulevo8 United States Active Member

Has anybody found the part number for the front camera for the SVM (Surround View Monitor)? I've been looking and found these 2 parts for the front that are specific for the surround view. upper grille.jpg harness.jpg

2. soulevo8

this may be the control module needed.
    control.jpg

3. Callum

Callum United States Active Member

I'd be curious to plug in the SVM (Surround View Monitor) computer and see what happens when you shift into reverse. My Optima had the SVM (Surround View Monitor) and when I unplugged the front camera it just showed blue. I think this would allow us to plug in the SVM (Surround View Monitor) computer and see if it gives us the 4 camera mode.

4. DaJackson

DaJackson United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

At what point is it cheaper just to trade in your 18 for a 19 with SVM (Surround View Monitor)?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Depends. If you are able to source the components from a wrecked Stinger, then I think it is worth it to add it to your 18. If you are buying everything new, then I don't think it is sensible to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Callum

It doesn’t make sense to cut a check to the dealership. Gathering parts from totaled Kia’s works.

7. CDv6

CDv6 United States Active Member

Or you could just look at aftermarket options. At least three have been posted in the other surround view thread, and I believe I recall seeing a fourth brand somewhere, but don't seem to have bookmarked it. From what I've read, they just plug into the video-in port on the head-unit for reverse activation, and probably also have an override switch for manual activation. Do your own research, of course. I haven't purchased one yet, but I can say that I have strong indications in this case that cheaper isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be.
    I actually really like the idea that they market these for large trucks too. Having driven them, I can attest that a 360° camera would have been very helpful in tight spaces.

8. AnyVare

AnyVare United States Active Member

Well...considering 2018s are now <40K and the 2019s are still above 50K, I'm sure adding camera's could be done for less than 2 or 3K.

9. soulevo8

I just got off the phone with my local dealership parts guy and he DID confirm after hours of research and talking to Kia, that the GT2 mirror glass is the part listed as "w/ side camera". He has no idea why, but that's what they are. Either way, he's doing a direct swap with me for the more expensive mirror for my trouble. One less part to worry about.

I've also been watching the part website waiting for the 2019 stinger to show up. So far the only 2019 listed is the Sorento.

10. Callum

It seems like things get better with age...here is a break down of what you'll need to install the SVM (Surround View Monitor)...it would appear that the installation will go in just like the wireless charging pad...Kia even had the coding process up...it's pretty lengthy, but to sum it up I think it's 100% doable. Just like the wireless charging...once they car sees the device, it will allow programming and should be a plug and play option. I'm almost 100% certain, that KIA just removed components and setup the vehicle in a way that it just removes that option until installed in the cluster, and diag software. There is SVM (Surround View Monitor) literature scattered EVERYWHERE on the 2018MY data, this is locked for US vehicles and no mention of Canadian vehicles only. US Spec repair/software information

I just need to get my hands on a tablet with the Kia software on it and play around with the options...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. niko

niko United States Active Member

Where r u located? Do u have all these parts already I may be able to find a tablet!

12. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Confirms what I suspected all along. It is a plug and play kind of feature.

Now to source the parts . Any of our Canadian friends willing to lend a helping hand with this?:rolleyes:

13. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

This may not help people who are trying to retrofit to a 2018, but I will say, I am VERY glad I waited for the 2019. The usefulness of the camera system is even better than I had expected given the short times I drove my ex GF's 'merc that had it.

14. brancky3

brancky3 Canada Active Member

Now we need someone to check if the wiring is already in place. It is a really nice feature, but since I park in a lot 99% of the time I don't really feel like I'm missing out. If I parked by a curb / parallel parked then maybe...

15. Callum

I do not have the parts, but apparently the mirrors have a casting inside to cut out, not visible from the outside due to the mould process.

I truly miss the SVM (Surround View Monitor) system from my Optima. It was incredibly useful and make parking a cake walk. I find the turn radius in the Stinger sub par, and high belt line make it hard to roll up to a curb side spot with out puckering up as you turn in.

16. Killian

Killian United States Member

Someone in Korea did a write up on this already. Really hard to translate and read bit by bit. All the wiring is there. You only need to add some pins into the existing connectors. Install the extra 3 cameras. Add the coax cables. Add the module back in under the dash. Add the switch panel in the center console. And then It needs to be activated by kia and also calibrated. I think it was under $1k in parts

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Killian

• Like Like x 1
  18. Callum

Sweet!! Just need to PN and we should be good

19. robz32

That did not look as painful as I thought it would be.
    All we need is a bit more info on the coaxial cabling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Killian

They have a whole kit for about 2000usd. I've been in contact with them in Korea.

Draft saved Draft deleted