Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Sudden "engine failure" might be fuel level sensor issue - Was: Help ! Kia Stinger Died On the road.

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Brian B, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Brian B

Brian B United States Newish Member

On today's afternoon drive home which is about 16 miles each way on the last 2 miles the car suddenly started to sputter and cut power big time in the comfort mode to the point were I was flooring it and it didn't do anything. The car was working its way up a slight Hill and simply couldn't power its way up the hill and got stuck with all of the sputtering of the engine. Note that there was modest rain in Denver but not a ton of heavy rain and it wasn't being driven by any puddles it was driven through the highway up to those last two miles. After I was stuck the car simply would not turn over after 7 attempts. The car started really rough on two attempts but had the worst sounding idle and cylinder misfire I've ever heard of coming out of a car. Had to call KIA road side assistance to have the 2293 mile old kia to the nearest Kia dealership Grand Kia od Colorado ?. This sucks got to the dealer after the service department was closed so no loaner or anything. I'm so disappointed right now any advice from anyone who's had any sort of similar problem or dealing with service department from Kia ???

Mod Edit: Ended up being a bad fuel sending unit. OP ran out of gas but the gas gauge showed there being fuel.

Help ! Kia Stinger Died On the road.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mandasol

mandasol United States Member

Sounds like the fuel pump issue that's been mentioned in a few threads.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brian B

Oh no i thought that was a 2.0T engine problem.... :eek: The failure was so abrupt maybe it is fuel pump related.:unsure:

4. bal

bal United States Member

I also experienced sputtering due to misfires, and low power, but the car still turned over. According to the dealer, there was a Technical Service Bulletin to replace all plugs and coils to resolve (some people reported cracked plugs due to this, mine were not cracked). The dealer did that around 750 ODO and I did not experience any issues until the motor blew a few weeks ago around 2300 ODO. The engine swap process is looking to take 3-4 weeks but they did give me a loaner. This is the 3rd motor they've had to replace at that dealership alone (and 6 that I'm aware of total, from forum posts). It seems like Kia has some major quality issues to address with this platform and it will be interesting to see if the G70 has similar quality issues.

In your situation it does sound like a fuel pump or misfire issue as long as there is no smoke. Hopefully it's nothing too serious, let us know what the dealer says when you find out.

5. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

It can't be a quality issue with the engine.(well, I guess it COULD, but that isn't probable). The 3.3TT engine has been used in Genesis cars and in other Hyundai/Kia vehicles without the turbo. If engine failure was common for the motor they would have had to address it years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DaJackson

DaJackson United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

And 6 engine replacements out of 20k+ cars is not a lot.

And engine can be replaced for a number of reasons. So those 6 could all be for different reasons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Stinger Enthusiast

Agreed, this drivetrain has been around for at least 5 years so i dont believe the issue is inherent.

Agree here as well...sounds to me like shitty luck is all. My last visit to the dealer found me chatting with their stinger mechanic about the the driver side turbo that blew up on a test drive earlier in the week...17 miles on the GT2 and the driver side turbo basically came apart.

Hopefully you get a loaner and they take care of it proper.

8. RobertE

RobertE United States Newish Member

Hey @Brian B Yikes, sorry to hear this. Did you get any updates from the dealer yet?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brian B

Update !

I'm back on the road with the Stinger, I was driving yesterday afternoon ! So what happened ?
    After the dealership first called me their first assumptions was around the fuel pump since the pressure testing was reading 0 psi.

But it wasn't the fuel pump system... Further investigation into the fuel pump and fuel tank revealed that the tank had nearly no fuel it. How did that happen if the fuel gauge was reading just under half a tank and some 140 miles of range left ?

The answer is the fuel sending unit in the fuel tank became stuck on what was described as a wire that wasn't properly clipped in to the tank( I dont know why there is that wire in the tank but the floating fuel level device became stuck on it and wouldn't go below the half a tank fuel level giving us false fuel level readouts.

So I was driving around thinking I have half a tank left but in reality I was on fumes. ![werd]

Good on the KIA tech for really Diging into this finding the issue, taking it all apart and putting it all back to together before the service center closed for the day. less then 7 hours total , I got my car back the same day with a property functioning fuel tank now [driving]:thumbup:

I have to say I underestimated the service center of that kia dealership ship. From a very old/small frumpy looking KIA dealership, there service guys were on point (Grand KIA of Colorado) good work from them

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. OliverNuther

OliverNuther Australia Active Member

That is good news. And presumably they had to put some juice into your empty tank to determine the sender was working ok so you’ve scored there as well. Win win!

• Like Like x 1
  11. RobertE

RobertE United States Newish Member

Nice! Glad to hear that you're back on the road!

12. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 1000 Posts Club!

Super good! Only one caveat: the manual says don't run out of gas, it could do bad things to the engine. I don't know what. I only repeat what I read several/many times!:eek:

My wife says to try and pay attention, also, to how many miles you've already gone on a tank of gas. Your internal warning "meter" will say that something is not right with how "good of mileage" you are "getting". Okay! You can only try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brian B

Well one could only hope that longevity of the pump isn't compromised from this one event. Interesting to note that the technician stated that the pump used in the stinger Is a design that doesn't rely as heavily on fuel for cooling purposes of the pump. I wonder how much truth there is to that. No damage was found when they pulled it to inspect. The interior of the car smelled like gas for 2 days before that smell dissipated.

14. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 1000 Posts Club!

I think the danger of running out of gas is to the catalytic converter, if memory serves just now. :p I am too lazy to go look for it in the manual, just now.

(Edit to add: My OC kicked in, and I found it. Quote: Avoid driving with an extremely low fuel level. Running out of fuel could cause the engine to misfire, damaging the catalytic converter. Failure to observe these precautions could result in damage to the catalytic converter and to your vehicle. Additionally, such actions could void your warranties. Unquote (page 7 | 102.))

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  15. NICK_KHAR

NICK_KHAR United States Member Authorized Vendor

What vehicles was this 3.3 used in?

16. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

Kia Sorrento
    Kia Sedona
    Kia Cadenza
    Kia Stinger
    Hyundai Santa Fe
    Hyundai Genesis
    Genesis G70
    Genesis G80
    Genesis G90

Some with turbos some without. I might be missing some...

17. NICK_KHAR

NICK_KHAR United States Member Authorized Vendor

Ahh I thought you meant older vehicles

• Like Like x 1
  18. BlaydeX15

BlaydeX15 United States Active Member

It's in my other car, a 2017 Kia Sedona. Kia/Hyundai Call it their Lambda II GDI, and the Turbo version is the Lambda II T-GDi

The 3.3 Non-turbo list is:

2012-present Hyundai Azera
    2013-present Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015-present Kia Sedona
    2014-present Kia Cadenza
    2014-present Kia Sorento

The 3.3TT list is:

2016-present Genesis G90
    2016-present Genesis G80
    2018-present Genesis G70
    2017-present Kia Stinger

I think it's funny that my wife's minivan has the same engine as my Stinger. Lol.

19. max2382

max2382 Ireland Member

I am wondering if this is an isolated problem or a general issue. I suppose we only have to wait and see if it happens to others.

20. Thang

Thang United States Active Member

Where in Colorado are you? Grand KIA is less than 5 minutes away from me. I've been there once. Not sure if I would ever go again. I actually drive all the way up to Longmont (I-25 KIA) for my car now.

Draft saved Draft deleted