1. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Stuttering Acceleration with Check Engine Light...

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Stingery, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Stingery

Stingery Newish Member

I posted a few months back at around 3k miles when I had my “check engine” light turn on while accelerating on the highway. Turned out to be a cracked spark plug which was replaced and resolved the issue at the time.

Cut to 3k miles later (2018 stinger gt v6 @6.5k miles)

A few weeks ago, I started noticing a sputter and/or jerking when accelerating, but hesitated on bringing my car in since it was an over scheduled week already and I didn’t have the time.

Well, the shop visit was forced upon me when the “check engine” light came on. I immediately bring my car to the shop and leave it for the night. A day later they called me to tell me the car was ready for pickup. “Was anything wrong?” I asked. The service rep said no, it was only some sort of legacy code that was popping up from the previous repair. Well I didn’t think to question him and drove home without issue.

One day later (today), I’m accelerating on the highway and I’m greeted by another solid yellow “check engine” light. The dealership/shop is closed since it’s Sunday. This is started to become a nightmare of inconvenience, but I’m trying to be proactive.

What questions should I ask them tomorrow? Is there anything I should insist they do or inspect?

2. falanger

falanger United States Active Member

Did they just replace the spark plugs but not the coils? I went through the same thing early on. At about 2k miles I blew a plug, which was replaced, but the hesitation and sputtering was still there. I took it to a different dealer and they replaced all plugs and all coils. Problem solved, no problems since then, even with mods and a JB4.

You should ask them to do the same for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stingery

Stingery Newish Member

Only the single cracked spark plug was replaced at 3k miles. Bringing my car back this morning to see what they say.

4. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Stingery are you modded or did this happen on a stock vehicle?

5. Stingery

Stingery Newish Member

Stock

6. Stingery

Stingery Newish Member

UPDATE: My car is with the service people at the dealership I purchased it from. I asked about the spark plugs/coils and they just told me they'd look into it. But told me not to expect an answer for 3-4 days...

7. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Did they give you a loaner/rent you a car?

8. Stingery

Stingery Newish Member

Yeah, they put me in an Optima which I have no complaints about, just not quite the same “get up and go” as my stinger.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kamauxx

I traded a 2016 Optima SXL for my Stinger. The Optima was more loaded than the Stinger but it had no "go" when compared to the 3.3tt.

When I had an issue with my Stinger the dealership rented me a old Altima. Not exactly a worthy temporary replacement.

10. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

When I took my last car to the Nissan dealer, 2016 Maxima, they gave me a ratted out 200x Altima to drive around that smelled like cleaning products and smoke, wasn't exactly impressed. I think if I took my Stinger to the dealer for a few days and got a new/almost new Optima, I would be content, they're nice cars. I know at least at the dealer I took my Stinger to to get the recall done, they're giving all Stinger owners the "VIP treatment" per the service manager. They give me a free detail, both inside and out, and topped my windshield wiper fluid.

11. Stingery

Stingery Newish Member

Update: got a call last night, the service department at the dealership lost my key! They have not been able to even look at the car yet. New key is ordered and expected for delivery today or tomorrow. Then they can can START figuring out what’s going on with my vehicle. Quickly becoming a comedy of errors.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Kamauxx

Sounds about right...for Kia service.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club!

Great to know somebody is walking around with the key to your car..

14. Stingery

Stingery Newish Member

Haha, yep... Hopefully some way to deprogram so that key no longer works. Trying to stay as positive as possible right now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. DarthVaderIX

DarthVaderIX United States Active Member

Dude sorry about your situation. Kia service is unbelievably bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Peeso33

Peeso33 United States Active Member

Are these key fob serialized? Can the manufacturer deactivate a lost or stolen key?

17. Alagos

Alagos Germany Active Member

What ? They lost the Key ? ... what the... i can’t find words .. unbelievable .. I would never go to that department again - trust is over.

18. Kamauxx

At least they didn't lose the car.

Small victories.

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. Peeso33

Peeso33 United States Active Member

I know you're only half joking, but did you see this post from last month?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

hhaaaaaaa "Oh man, I thought I won this car for being the millionth oil change or something! my bad broooo"

I bet the inside of that car smelled like vanilla, better than tobacco smoke I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted