Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Stumble on hard acceleration

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by StingerGTT, May 13, 2018.

1. StingerGTT

StingerGTT United States Active Member

So I'm sure this subject has been covered in some way shape or form I have a GT 3.3K on it and sometimes not all the time it stumbles on a hard acceleration I'm sure its a misfire I have not got a CEL nor is the car chipped YET my question is has anyone found a permanent fix to this yet?? Is the dealer taking care of this for us ?? are they going to use better plugs in the car to fix this issue ?? Any info would help me greatly without berating me and saying things like if you knew how to hit your gas pedal 2mm to the left this wouldn't happen . lol Thank you everyone

2. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

You should take it in to the dealership. Have them check to make sure the plugs aren't damaged. If they are they'll replace them with the same plugs gapped at .036 ish.

The general consensus is that with or without a higher boost tune the plugs should have a smaller gap, so if the dealership says the plugs are fine it might be a good idea for you to re-gap them at home.

I've gapped mine to .025 to use with BMS's JB4 on map 2 (+4psi) and have had no problems with it.

Oh yeah, one more thing. If you weren't hitting the gas pedal so far to the left you'd be fine. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. StingerGTT

So you re-gaped the factory plugs on a tune ? You didn’t pay the rediculous price for HKS plugs ? Thankyou for the input greatly appreciated.

4. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

Yes I just regapped the stock plugs.

If you look in the tuning forum there's a thread about spark plugs stickied to the top. In there is a wealth of information from a few very knowledgeable forum members.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. TwistedOrca

TwistedOrca United States Active Member

Mine pulls the same miss feeling under load, plan on taking it to the dealership. Reading the forum, looks like these plug/gap issues are solved at home.

6. Fl stingergt

Fl stingergt United States Active Member

What spark gap we using with hks plugs. Stock 35 ish. Give me that good info guys

7. Johnny B

Johnny B Canada Member

I find this only happens when I have both traction control and stability control disabled. There was an article where they were testing the drift abilities of the AWD model and found that with both of these functions disabled a torque limiter kicked in under hard acceleration and forced the transmission to shift to second gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fl stingergt

These are learning transmissions . When I got mine and drove in manual mode with everything off. It would shift still on own at high rpm. After a few weeks of driving mine stays in gear but if you don’t shift quick enough fuel is shut off to engine at 6500 rpm and car just falls on face. The car shifts quick enough in auto

9. Beege

Beege United States Active Member

You're holding it wrong??

10. StingerGTT

Lol I just realized that last comment Kam lol I figured someone would say something like that in a non joking way so I got it over with for them lol thanks for all the help though guys the dealer will gap them at what I tell them to, cleared it up today with them. now I just need the time to get it done.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Beege

Beege United States Active Member

Hmm maybe I can get the dealer to regap mine for me...

12. StingerGTT

I know the service manager very very well he knows I know what I'm doing and trusts my judgement not all dealers may allow this just be cautious on what you say a lot of dealers are foaming at the mouth to void your warranty just a word of advice but good luck !!!

13. StingerGTT

actually had a tech loose his shit when he got curious and looked under my hood without me knowing and then returned with he car after a "test drive" to see my BOV venting atmospherically and when he returned first words where " your gonna void you warranty doing that stuff watch out " my response was "doing what ? the BOV mod ? it has nothing to do with any crucial sensor in the engine management system so you should maybe go back to class son" The service manager intervened just in time before I sent the " tech" back to class and told the tech " he knows what he's doing go back in the shop please" lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Sabz

Sabz United States Active Member

So I’m wondering if I have a problem... I don’t get any codes but the car feels like a dog sometimes when I step on it. Do you think it could be my plugs? I would at least think I would throw a code right ? I really don’t know much about working on cars

15. StingerGTT

I don’t get a check engine light either but it’s clearly the plugs missfireing for a few seconds on hard acceleration

16. Fl stingergt

Run 93 octane

17. Sabz

Sabz United States Active Member

You think that will solve it? My last tank was 93 and you may be right because I notice it now with 91... even though it’s a small difference

18. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States Stinger Enthusiast

@Sabz and @stingergt@stingergtt are you both stumbling on initial hard acceleration or high RPM WOT. Sounds like initial. I have the HKS smaller gapped plugs and have stumbled on initial acceleration once. Plugs fix high rpm which i have never encountered.
    Interesting comment above about torque limits and shifting into second as thats what mine felt like.

19. Johnny B

Johnny B Canada Member

It is not a misfire. I am using gapped plugs at .024 and 94 octane fuel. Ecu nannies kicking in. If you feather the throttle instead of mashing it down I find it eliminates the hard cut.

20. Johnny B

Johnny B Canada Member

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted