Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Stinger vs public opinion

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger vs The World' started by David Thomas, Jun 4, 2019.

1. David Thomas

David Thomas United States Newish Member

It does not affect me when someone expresses pleasure or not with something I buy, say or do. To prove my point I once bought a brand new 2002 grand am.

We have all had the conversation, wow what it that car......oh Meh it's a Kia. I got it from guys at work most of which drives trucks and SUVs because it is socially acceptable. Full disclosure I also have a truck.

Flip side, people that appreciate driving and aesthetics. A few days after picking up my gt1 I went to get my windows tinted. When I pulled up there was a new Tesla something and BMW something sportback I do not know much about either of those cars. The owners of those stood around mine talking about the stinger. Appreciating what it is and does not focusing on who made it.

These are just a couple of reactions I've had in the 3 short weeks I have owned this car.

• Like Like x 8
  2. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

real car enthusiasts should not throw shade on other cars ...................just the wankers that drive BMWs, Mercs and Audi's ! ( full disclosure ,I was a BMW bonehead for years ! ) :laugh::)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Reverse prejudice: decades ago, I was informed by someone who seemed to know, that getting a BMW turns everyone into a**holes. I tucked that away and never forgot it (obviously!:)). It is telling, that my prejudice has been reinforced TWICE in four road trips: the only two excesses I have been guilty of ("excesses" translated to: extra legal speed) were prompted by BMWs acting like asshats. I took after them and made sure they discovered that this KIA cannot be shaken off. I succeeded. The first took some convincing; pretty much an hour's worth; the second figured it out in under a minute.

I do not judge people by their cars. But both were BMWs. Oh, and the first instance involved a third driver in, you guessed it, another BMW. So for a while I was a Stinger sandwich between these two Bimmers. The rest of the time I watched the two of them going at it, and kept them in view handily. When the initiator (a BMW i8, btw) finally had enough, and pulled over to the right lane and slowed to "civilized" speed, I passed and got a look at the driver; and the asshat was a girl, with long, straight beach bleached blond hair.

All the talk on here about "badge snobs" is reverse snobbery. I don't mind admitting and pointing it out. :laugh: :p

4. MIGULZZ

MIGULZZ United States Active Member

I had an M6 for a while and refused to hang out with the BMW crowd here, but no one wanted to mess with it so it was boring to have...10 cylinders of loneliness :( lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. 19GT-AWD

19GT-AWD Active Member

I've owned/raced Mustangs for decades, but have always hung around Camaro guys. For some reason (in my area at least) the Chevy guys were friendlier and easier to get along with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

From my experience, the import guys love the car, the European guys is a mixed bag, the domestic guys are mostly negative, but they're negative about every Asian import except maybe the GTR.

7. Fboost

Fboost Australia Member

It's hard to throw shade on the stinger without sounding like a complete fanboy.
    Most similar featured cars are way more expensive and or slower. Not to mention best warranty in the business.
    When I talk to people they usually end up trying to justify why they paid so much for their car :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. David Thomas

David Thomas United States Newish Member

That's the vibe I've gotten from owners of other gt cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu United States Active Member

I don't give 2 shits about what anyone thinks, I love saying I drive a Kia Stinger. Before that I drove a Hyundai (Equus). If you drive this car it means you are smart and cutting edge.

Regarding Porsche guys vs BMW guys, I always found Porsche guys friendlier and down to earth.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. 19GT-AWD

19GT-AWD Active Member

Everyone I've met has been really cool about the Stinger. :D

For those that might not be, allow me to introduce you to my friend Jimmy. :cool:

"Jimmy crack corn ..."

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Mz B1ggz

Mz B1ggz United States Member

Hi, I am a newbie on this forum. We do not have a GT, but do get the same reaction with our Stinger. I am driving my husband's Stinger, as someone totalled my Sportage. I will pull up somewhere and have had several, "No way that's a Kia?!". Have had, men mostly of course, walk over and ask to look at and look inside the Stinger. It is amazing how many car conversations I have had. Needless to say I am learning more about it all the time as I have also had men walk up say, "Do you know...", lol. The Stinger has been a great car. Having had a fully loaded one of a kind Sportage, I was thinking I would get another. However, we might have His and Hers Stingers with my husband getting the newer one since I have been driving what is really his. Just thinking back, I did have one man ask if it was a Tesla before he saw the Kia emblem. The stainless door handles is what got him he said, but I reminded him the Tesla's handles are recessed when in drive mode or locked. I am sure he knew that though. I feel bad most times driving my husband's car, he should be enjoying these moments, not me. Maybe with a newer one he will finally get to drive it. (He has a company car to drive.)

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sime

Sime Australia Active Member

My boss at work (a chick) who thinks she’s a bit of a rev head, tried to argue with me that it’s just a Kia, then I took her for a drive.
    That stopped the conversation.

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. westcoastGT

really , tell us more .............................?? Bawaaaaaa

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. DrPattyCakes

DrPattyCakes Canada Member

I too want to hear more :)

15. Legendsk

Legendsk United States Active Member

My guess is that you may not hear the rest of the story, because she fired him. Not for arguing with her THE BOSS, but for believing he won the argument. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sime

Sime Australia Active Member

She got in the car, and got out.

17. westcoastGT

Now they're dating ............................:laugh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. There's a large gearhead community at my office. Several Subie drivers, a couple of Evo's, some Bimmers, a pair of Tesla model S's and one psychopath who bought an Alfa Giulia (which is a beautiful disaster. it IS an Alfa, after all). There's a lot of bench racing that goes on around the office, but everyone's pretty respectful of each other's cars. They rib me about rolling my Bug to work, but they all love it when I do. Since I got my Stinger, I've taken them all for rides at various times, and every single one of them has been impressed. "That's a Kia? Wow, I had no idea they had any cars with balls" kinds of comments. The tesla guys still kind of turn their nose up a bit, but I can't say I blame them, I love me a Model S.

Our hobby takes all kinds, and at some point, people are going to wake up to what's coming out of Korea. I dunno if the Stinger will ever be an RX7 or a Supra in tuner legends, but the potential's there and wouldn't it be fun if it was?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. YEH

YEH United States Active Member

At one extreme are the badge snobs/badge wh**es (most don't know much about cars) and at the other extreme are the real auto enthusiasts (not just those who claim to be) who respect anything that brings the goods.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Agreed and I bet that the Stinger IS the next RX7, GTR & Supra.:D

Not only does it have all the makings of a legend, it also starting out the same way those cars did. They were all unknown underdogs trying to complete with big name sports cars like Porsche & Corvette. I remember the car magazines promoting the Japanese cars as true competitors, and all the non-believers laughing at the thought that they’d even be in the same ballpark. They also started with amazing “bang for the buck” pricing that undercut its competition by tens of thousands of dollars. And even the tuners & aftermarket crowd didn’t take them seriously.

Now look how far they have all come. They almost doubled in price during their run and now are collectors items selling for $100k+. They are coveted by almost every auto enthusiast, and tuners & the aftermarket world is crazy for them. Nobody can deny their greatest & legendary status even though they weren’t taken seriously in the beginning.

I feel like we have just as much potential to do the same types of things and already see how the tide is changing. I’ve personally changed a few non-believers minds just by taking them for a ride and the word is spreading quickly. I’m so grateful to be part of the 1st generation of this amazing car, and can’t wait to see what the future holds for the Stinger and all who are lucky enough to have one.:thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
Draft saved Draft deleted