kia stinger store

Stinger v. K5 GT

Mesmorino

You must have a small snowblower then. Ain't no way I could fit my snowblower in the back of my Stinger. My lawnmower is an electric Ego that folds up, that I could fit in there no problem if I needed to.

I have the Ego lawnmower and snowblower. These guys:

Power+ 21

They both fold up, although they're bigger than each other in diffferent dimensions. The blower is taller, the mower is longer. For some reason I still have the snowblower box so I went ahead and put it back in the car for the photo. The lawnmower box is about the same size.

Attachments

• 20210506_160032.jpg
    20210506_160032.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 12

shoengine

As a GT, which supposedly means a car to travel vast distances at speed and in comfort, the Stinger fails. Between the small gas tank and the smallish and ill-shaped cargo space, it's better suited to short trips. And then, only two people. I can't imagine even trying to take along a small child or two.
To each their own. Just completed a 1600 mile round trip to SF with the wife and two teenagers with zero issues. Although I made sure to mandate soft-sided luggage for our week long trip. With the swag we brought back it was very full though.

Vonrichthofen

Did anyone cross shop the Stinger with the new K5 GT? What convinced you to get the Stinger? Was it the sportiness, RWD, handling, power or other?

Thanks.
As to the original question, I went looking specifically for a K5 GT. I was trading in my 2015 Optima SXL, and had such good luck with it that I wanted another one. When I saw it, it looked impressive until you really looked at it. I especially didn’t like the neon z for Zorro treatment around the headlights. Interior was nice, and had lots of tech, but I did not care for the dash at all. So I walked around the lot and spotted a Stinger GT Line. It had the red leather seating, Snow White Pearl paint, AWD, and the sun and sound package. I didn’t think I could ever afford a Stinger so I never really looked at them. I took it for a ride and I was hooked. And the cost was in the realm of possibility. It is definitely more sport luxury and much more of a driver’s car. Although the K5 GT is a very very well done automobile, the Stinger makes it seem like a taxi cab.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
@Mike_TX you're moving the goal posts, bringing up increased road noise: which has nothing to do with cargo space. And asserting that you need the security of the cover? Come on. You can leave it dangling on its strings and unhook the hinges and that cover will press right up against the glass frame when you close the hatch lid; I've done this every time that I've carried a full-sized ice chest. Claiming that you have to leave the back seats up cuts the cargo space from 40.9 cubic feet down to 23.3 cubic feet: is this fair? The K5 (the other half of the original comparison of this thread) has a puny 16 cubic feet: that's called a trunk, and most sedans with trunks (not SUVs, we're comparing apples to apples here) are no better. You might drop a suitcase on its edge in the back of such a trunk, but total cargo room is nowhere near what the Stinger can provide.

stingerstevo

If the K5 is anything like the Sonata N line, I'm assuming it is, you're going to be paying for a lot of tires. I really wanted to like the car, but can't put up with the constant squealing of the tires. Just barley going around turns and the tires are constantly squealing.

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

stoopid

Stinger Enthusiast
Las Vegas, NV
I always find it annoying when we get into conversations like this, and when you voice anything remotely negative there's always someone who tells you that you don't know how to pick your cars, or advises you to get something else. I got the Stinger for a reason, and while I like it, it DOES have some limitations. Don't be so defensive.
My posts can be very critical of Kia and/or this car. It doesn't need my defense.

It sounds like you post a lot of objectionable things. Maybe that's the issue, not the respondents?

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Transmetal

I have the Ego lawnmower and snowblower. These guys:

Power+ 21

They both fold up, although they're bigger than each other in diffferent dimensions. The blower is taller, the mower is longer. For some reason I still have the snowblower box so I went ahead and put it back in the car for the photo. The lawnmower box is about the same size.
Ahhh, that makes sense. I really like my ego lawnmower, not sure if the snowblower would be up to the task of a MN snow storm though. As for the hatch, as I said previously, I don't find it to be all that special but it's May now, so I can dust off my truck to do the real hauling if need be.

Kamauxx

5000 Posts Club!
Eh, maybe. The Stinger is a larger vehicle on a RWD platform,

For the record (In case it hasn't been mentioned already) the Stinger is actually smaller than the K5.

Screenshot_20210507-062829.png

hummus

Did anyone cross shop the Stinger with the new K5 GT? What convinced you to get the Stinger? Was it the sportiness, RWD, handling, power or other?

Thanks.
The Stinger is not configured--and probably not intended--to conquer sales by checking the boxes most buyers have on their lists. Roominess, comfort, tech level, badge/brand appeal, etc... it has never been the benchmark on these. Sure, there aren't many viable 4 passenger cars that can trap near 110mph in the quarter mile while feeling reasonably premium and selling in the mid $30k range, but trap speeds don't sell cars and brand perception is hard to overcome. It's even harder to overcome when nearly all the reviews show a $52k GT2, promoting the perception in the general pubic that all Stingers are $50k (and for more casual enthusiasts, that they all lack a true manual mode).

The appeal of the Stinger is deeper than that, and not everyone will get it. Tell the average car shopper about increased launch traction from weight transfer, steering unburdened by transaxles and lawn dart weight distribution, high bandwidth power delivery--most of their eyes will glaze over. They will see a $50k msrp and figure at that price they will shop for a BMW. Some will look to $30k K5s, Accord 2.0Ts, etc. that will still blow the doors off most cars while looking great, probably have lower running cost, have much more modern/fashionable interior tech, and ultimately do better on the typical the check list.

Different strokes. I'll take the Stinger every time, warts and all, even if it wasn't faster.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

vipeboy2000

Stinger Enthusiast
Middle Tennessee
The k5 is actually bigger than the accord as well . 193 length for the k5 192.2 for the accord 190 for the stinger .. the long hood and the wheel placement on the stinger really gives it a longer look.

Mesmorino

Ahhh, that makes sense. I really like my ego lawnmower, not sure if the snowblower would be up to the task of a MN snow storm though. As for the hatch, as I said previously, I don't find it to be all that special but it's May now, so I can dust off my truck to do the real hauling if need be.
I'm in Manitoba and we get about the same snowfall you do - all the artic winds blow through us first lol. The snow blower can handle pretty deep snow, up to 2ft, the problem is when it gets compacted and then it struggles really hard. It also struggles when the snow has started to freeze (at any depth) because it's heavier, and of course it's not going to move ice.

I've found that the trick with this snowblower is to not let the snow build up at all, I've had to clear snow while it was snowing and then get back out when it stopped snowing. It doesn't have a metal auger so it can't chop up the snow, it just scoops it up so the less work it has to do the faster you'll get through it. Ego does have the same one but with a metal auger; they released it 6 months after I got mine. They also have the big one too.

Mesmorino

The Stinger is not configured--and probably not intended--to conquer sales by checking the boxes most buyers have on their lists. Roominess, comfort, tech level, badge/brand appeal, etc... it has never been the benchmark on these. Sure, there aren't many viable 4 passenger cars that can trap near 110mph in the quarter mile while feeling reasonably premium and selling in the mid $30k range, but trap speeds don't sell cars and brand perception is hard to overcome. It's even harder to overcome when nearly all the reviews show a $52k GT2, promoting the perception in the general pubic that all Stingers are $50k (and for more casual enthusiasts, that they all lack a true manual mode).

The appeal of the Stinger is deeper than that, and not everyone will get it. Tell the average car shopper about increased launch traction from weight transfer, steering unburdened by transaxles and lawn dart weight distribution, high bandwidth power delivery--most of their eyes will glaze over. They will see a $50k msrp and figure at that price they will shop for a BMW. Some will look to $30k K5s, Accord 2.0Ts, etc. that will still blow the doors off most cars while looking great, probably have lower running cost, have much more modern/fashionable interior tech, and ultimately do better on the typical the check list.

Different strokes. I'll take the Stinger every time, warts and all, even if it wasn't faster.
I cross shopped Stinger with the Accord, and would definitely have cross shopped it with the K5 had it been available then. For me the stinger won on looks, power, and the hatch

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
I like the look of the K5 but was disappointed with what the did with the infotainment system. Personally, I think KIA and Hyundai swapped interior styles for these new model. I was hoping they would have put the buttons at the base of the screen like in the K9. I also wanted to have the rotary dial for the gear selector. Of course for me, the hybrid version is what I have owned since 2012 and no hybrid seems to be coming for 2021 or 22. So my 2017 continues as the family hybrid. Almost 5 years and close to 50K miles, it still looks mostly new (except for the paint chips).

I’ve transported desks from IKEA in both vehicles and the Optima had extra space compare to the Stinger. Im always pleasantly surprised when transporting other folks in the Optima and the folks in the rear don’t need folks up front to give them extra room. When I was in between Stingers, I looked at the K9 with the VIP seats and realized the Optima was more spacious in back. My ‘17 Optima hybrid rides and handles well, I can only imagine the improvements some to the 2021 version. All the being said, the Stinger was always my choice when going out to do anything. While no longer a owner of a Stinger, I was certain I was going to get a 3rd, provided they made it quieter and more luxurious. With KIA making improvements to their lineup and going electric, if they do an electric GT, with Stinger level performance, slightly more interior space and a quieter interior, along with improved tech, I’ll probably be getting one.

Depending on your specific need, both cars are a very good choice in their category. I was lucky enough to have one of each and now my 2017 Optima hybrid is officially the car I have had the longest in my years of car ownership. My vote is whichever suits you, both are great buys.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Yeah like I said in my previous post a while back... the K5 is longer than the Stinger... and to my surprise both the Accord and the Camry that I was cross-shopping with the Stinger were also longer than my current car... I find the Stinger very big indeed; especially coming from a WRX.

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
It's not significantly longer however, the FWD layout allows them to maximize the interior space and it is quite good. The Stinger proportions are quite good for a GT car, we can all be happy that they did a great job to make it a functional as it is sporty. With the upcoming crop of EVs, maybe someone will make a Saab 900 Turbo style version where you can cram a giant couch in the back. LOL! That car was ahead of it's time.

Need to do some serious hauling? I got you bud

1620492297522.png

1620492338174.png

Wanna go camping? Got you there too!

1620492482516.png

JSolo

Stinger Enthusiast
Chicago
Is there a thread dedicated to how much will fit in the stinger trunk, pics included?

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
It's not significantly longer however, the FWD layout allows them to maximize the interior space and it is quite good. The Stinger proportions are quite good for a GT car, we can all be happy that they did a great job to make it a functional as it is sporty. With the upcoming crop of EVs, maybe someone will make a Saab 900 Turbo style version where you can cram a giant couch in the back. LOL! That car was ahead of it's time.

Need to do some serious hauling? I got you bud

View attachment 58518

View attachment 58519

Wanna go camping? Got you there too!

View attachment 58520
jeez lmfao :rofl::rofl:

Navalus

Toronto
I considered the K5 GT but after seeing it struggle to put down power to the front wheels I decided against it. Also, I didn't want to get the K5 and then a couple years down the road regret not buying the Stinger and then not being able to buy new. For me, AWD, power and the fact production of the Stinger will end convinced me. Got mine delivered last Friday. Absolutely love the car.

I'm coming out of MK7 VW GTI, which had a LOT of cargo space with the seats down. However, with the seats up, I didn't really have any more space than a mid sized sedan. I did consider the K5, and also looked at the G70, but realized that I wasn't ready to give up the sheer utility of a hatch. Plus, the Stinger is about as different that you could get from a hot hatch while still being an actual car without going to something like a BMW 430i for $10k more.
I did some errands last week and I was amazed at the sheer amount of STUFF that I was able to put in the car with the cargo cover on and the seats up. If I had had to put that load in the GTI, my seats would have definitely been down.