kia stinger store

Stinger v. K5 GT

monusa

Stinger Enthusiast
This is one statement I don't understand? Before I bought my Stinger, people were all gushing over about how much space the Stinger has because it's a hatch
All I know is when I picked up my new "55' in tv still in the box, it fit with no problems......thought it was going to have to come out of the box to close the hatch but it closed without a problem.....;)

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
For as wide of a car the Stinger is, the trunk space is limited imo.
She's wide in the hips, narrow in the waist. :D It's that style priority, of course. I think that Kia executed an amazing hatch with style. And I've found it extremely useful, as you can tell. I had a Voyager before this, so carrying capacity is not even comparable. Everything else goes to the Stinger. :p

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Snatchell

I've fit an amazing amount of stuff in my Stinger before. I would be doing some mental 3D Tetris for sure to maximize space and avoid scratching any plastic/rubber. As an IT guy - I once took all the network equipment out of a branch in Charleston, SC and I was loaded to the gills... but I was able to leave my seats up and cargo cover in place and the Stinger was fantastic on the trip back with all that weight back there. I'm truly jonesin' for my new Stinger! I'm thinking I'll get mine around Memorial Day... hopefully! :)

7Andrei7

Bucharest/Vienna
The Stinger is a special car designed for people who love cars and driving.
The RDW, weight distribution and sharp steering makes it a driver's car. The wide rear arches and low profile makes it really sexy from every angle. Plus, it's very rare, especially in Europe :).
The K5 is just an average FWD sedan. Nothing special about it. I would not even take a second look at it, no matter what engine it has.

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

powermatt

The Stinger is a special car designed for people who love cars and driving.
The RDW, weight distribution and sharp steering makes it a driver's car. The wide rear arches and low profile makes it really sexy from every angle. Plus, it's very rare, especially in Europe :).
The K5 is just an average FWD sedan. Nothing special about it. I would not even take a second look at it, no matter what engine it has.

At least it doesn't look entirely boring. Kia seems to have all the good designs in the corporate lineup right now. Interior is quite nice too. I've been seeing quite a few of them around NovA, and I can understand why. If the driving dynamics aren't as important to you, it's quite an appealing package in terms of looks and features for your money.

vipeboy2000

Stinger Enthusiast
Middle Tennessee
regarding the grand prix.. a friend had a grand prix gxp with the 5.3 v8, that was a hoot with fwd only as well like the k5 gt ha. all the fwd burnouts!!!! also first car i saw in person with a staggered tire/wheel setup where the fronts were 255/45r18 and rears were 225/50r18. It sounded lovely.. Cargo space wise, remember the grand prix (depending on the year) his was a 2008, is a full 8 inches longer overall than the Stinger so quite a bit bigger vehicle and classified as a fullsize vs midsize like the stinger. The stinger with all the seats up has a 23 cu.ft capacity, and the grand prix has a 16 cu.ft cap. Seats down, total capacity of the Stinger is 40.9 cu.ft while the grand prix is 57 cu.ft! so more space yes, and depending on the items being transported, can definitely fit more.. however some bulkier items would fit easier in the stinger since the opening is larger and the cargo cover can be removed.

Transmetal

Stinger Enthusiast
regarding the grand prix.. a friend had a grand prix gxp with the 5.3 v8, that was a hoot with fwd only as well like the k5 gt ha. all the fwd burnouts!!!! also first car i saw in person with a staggered tire/wheel setup where the fronts were 255/45r18 and rears were 225/50r18. It sounded lovely.. Cargo space wise, remember the grand prix (depending on the year) his was a 2008, is a full 8 inches longer overall than the Stinger so quite a bit bigger vehicle and classified as a fullsize vs midsize like the stinger. The stinger with all the seats up has a 23 cu.ft capacity, and the grand prix has a 16 cu.ft cap. Seats down, total capacity of the Stinger is 40.9 cu.ft while the grand prix is 57 cu.ft! so more space yes, and depending on the items being transported, can definitely fit more.. however some bulkier items would fit easier in the stinger since the opening is larger and the cargo cover can be removed.
^ This! I knew someone would drop some facts. Mine was a 2007, which is the same body style as the 08 gxp, although I had the 3800 supercharged version. Didn't realize the full size vs midsize thing you pointed out, figured they were generally about the same size.

IMG_20150731_172428939.jpg
That car could haul the world. I feel like the Stinger overall is longer but yeah, the trunk of that car was golden, not to mention the front passenger seat folded down all the way. I remember when I bought our electric Ego push mower, my truck was down at the time, was doing suspension work on it. Decided to go over to home Depot and "try" to pick up the lawn mower in the Grand Prix. Those guys were clowin me big time saying ain't no way that big ol box is fitting in your car. That box fit in the car with ease.

vipeboy2000

Stinger Enthusiast
Middle Tennessee
^ This! I knew someone would drop some facts. Mine was a 2007, which is the same body style as the 08 gxp, although I had the 3800 supercharged version.

View attachment 57875
That car could haul the world. I feel like the Stinger overall is longer but yeah, the trunk of that car was golden, not to mention the front passenger seat folded down all the way. I remember when I bought our electric Ego push mower, my truck was down at the time, was doing suspension work on it. Decided to go over to home Depot and "try" to pick up the lawn mower in the Grand Prix. Those guys were clowin me big time saying ain't no way that big ol box is fitting in your car. That box fit in the car with ease.
i have a fond soft spot for the 3.8 supercharged engine. test drove many 2001/2002 gtp's in high school but never found one that was clean enough in my price range to buy at the time.

Transmetal

Stinger Enthusiast
i have a fond soft spot for the 3.8 supercharged engine. test drove many 2001/2002 gtp's in high school but never found one that was clean enough in my price range to buy at the time.
I've had a few, 1st was a black 97 2dr gtp. That car was a blast but my son was born so we traded it in on a bronzemist 00 gt 4dr, no more supercharger :( but it was basically the wife's car and she wanted to save a few bucks, which is why we didn't get another gtp (which she later regretted).
100_2646.JPG

26863600024_large.jpg

And later I got the grey 07 that I mentioned, which I crashed just before I was going to give it to my son :(.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
I fear the K5 was not out when I was shopping for a new car... or perhaps it was but I did not see it? not sure... don't care...

I like the K5 a lot. It looks fantastic. I remember seeing one back in August of 2020 on a little road trip with my gf to the beach and she pointed it out to me and said that was a very good looking and sporty car. As we got closer she saw "Kia" and asked if it's another type of Stinger. lol :p

I got a ride-along in a K5 a few months ago. It wasn't the "GT" top of the line model but the one right under. GT-Line I think? It's lighter than the Stinger but I think it might actually be larger in size? Front-wheel drive is pretty easy going for most folks compared to RWD. It's cheaper to buy with a lower cost of ownership. I think it looks better than the Stinger but looks are always subjective. I would not have got the K5 since I wanted something RWD. Cool car though. :)

Snatchell

Stinger number three? 2.5T this time?
WOW! You are observant! Yes it would be my 3rd Stinger. My first one had casting sand in the heater core - my second one I sold for a few reasons - the AT had a slip occasionally, tires were getting pricey, and the front brakes kept getting that "warped" issue. Had that brake thing fixed about 4 times. Also 2 kids in college.

Now I have a kid about to leave college soon - combined with the attractive 2.5L Turbo option and the price is more reasonable (Lease for $350/month with $4K down) - and I'm getting a new one for sure. I absolutely love Stingers. No other car out there that meets my needs quite like the Stinger.

I love the hatch - the looks - the tech - the warranty - the list is long.

The only cons on the V6 were GDI issues - (LSPI and intake valves - this is more of a mental thing as I used Valvoline Modern Engine - and that's supposed to mitigate those issues) - the staggered tire sizes - I had a few nails - one in a sidewall and having to replace all tires so the AWD system works properly was for the birds... and the brake issue.

Mike_TX

Stinger Enthusiast
North Texas
This is one statement I don't understand? Before I bought my Stinger, people were all gushing over about how much space the Stinger has because it's a hatch. I may be the one person who feels the opposite. I don't find the trunk space in the Stinger to be all that great actually.

My previous car, 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix was vastly superior I feel. The seats folded down all the way, just like the Stinger. The front passenger seat also folded down all the way. The rear doors also opened a full 90 degrees. The trunk floor space was also much better. We moved 2 years ago, while I had my truck to help, I used my Grand Prix a ton. If I woulda had my Stinger instead, it would've been much harder. The hatch wasn't even a selling point imo. Especially when I 1st opened it, I thought, this is it?
You are not the only person who thinks like that. I'm on my second Stinger and I've completed week-long trips in both of them. With only two of us, the "cavernous hatch" requires a shoehorn to get our stuff in it, and even then some of it has to go in the rear floorboard.

The trip we just completed in my GT2 involved one medium-sized and one carry-on-sized suitcase, two skinny soft cases designed for takedown carbines, a small range bag, and a GI ammo can. Mama's overnight bag and little Igloo cooler had to be wedged behind the seats, and our jackets and miscellaneous stuff piled in the back seats.

To make it worse, we had to take another small case (15"w x15"d x 12"h) with us to deliver to a friend, and I damn near couldn't find any place for it. As it was, I had to try several configurations to fit it all in. The swooping roofline at the rear and the high floorboard severely limit the height of anything toward the ass-end of the hatch area.

As a GT, which supposedly means a car to travel vast distances at speed and in comfort, the Stinger fails. Between the small gas tank and the smallish and ill-shaped cargo space, it's better suited to short trips. And then, only two people. I can't imagine even trying to take along a small child or two.

Oryan

Hampton Roads, VA
Spouse has a K5. It's just fine for what it is and suits them. I wouldn't have even looked at the K5 GT. A FWD 4-banger doesn't do it for me. I'd give consideration to maybe the Alfa 4C or a Miata/124 or something as a second car, but not a sedan.

Snatchell

FWIW - I had all 4 of the Stinger tires in my GT2 with the hatch closed. Those are some big tires. I had to swap back to my summer tires from All-Season tires at Costco. I've always been impressed with the space in a Stinger with the seats down.

stoopid

Stinger Enthusiast
Las Vegas, NV
You are not the only person who thinks like that. I'm on my second Stinger and I've completed week-long trips in both of them. With only two of us, the "cavernous hatch" requires a shoehorn to get our stuff in it, and even then some of it has to go in the rear floorboard.

The trip we just completed in my GT2 involved one medium-sized and one carry-on-sized suitcase, two skinny soft cases designed for takedown carbines, a small range bag, and a GI ammo can. Mama's overnight bag and little Igloo cooler had to be wedged behind the seats, and our jackets and miscellaneous stuff piled in the back seats.

To make it worse, we had to take another small case (15"w x15"d x 12"h) with us to deliver to a friend, and I damn near couldn't find any place for it. As it was, I had to try several configurations to fit it all in. The swooping roofline at the rear and the high floorboard severely limit the height of anything toward the ass-end of the hatch area.

As a GT, which supposedly means a car to travel vast distances at speed and in comfort, the Stinger fails. Between the small gas tank and the smallish and ill-shaped cargo space, it's better suited to short trips. And then, only two people. I can't imagine even trying to take along a small child or two.
Your expectations might be a bit out of alignment with the reality for car class and expected capacity. Every vehicle has its cargo capacity limitations. As far as "GT" space goes, the Stinger is comparable to other "GT" cars. If you need to haul multiple pieces of luggage, a cooler, other odds and ends then a SUV would be the way to go, not a four door performance sedan. Adding more things (kids, more luggage) isn't going to magically transform the space that's there. The steel doesn't grow just because you want to put more into it than it was designed to carry.

The hatch is there to load awkward sized objects, hatch does not equate "hauler". There's a lot of smallish cars with hatches that couldn't transport a couch. Are they junk because someone is trying to fit something it wasn't design to carry in the first place?

The fact you fit what you described should be praise for the car, not a flaw.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
I'm just going to chip in here and say I managed to fit in a a lawnmower and a snowblower, in the back of my stinger with the seats down and had room to spare.
I believe it. I hauled enough belongings for two people with a passenger in my right seat on a road-trip from Florida to New York and back. Tons of room! Love it! :D

Transmetal

Stinger Enthusiast
I'm just going to chip in here and say I managed to fit in a a lawnmower and a snowblower, in the back of my stinger with the seats down and had room to spare.
You must have a small snowblower then. Ain't no way I could fit my snowblower in the back of my Stinger. My lawnmower is an electric Ego that folds up, that I could fit in there no problem if I needed to.

Mike_TX

Stinger Enthusiast
North Texas
Your expectations might be a bit out of alignment with the reality for car class and expected capacity. Every vehicle has its cargo capacity limitations. As far as "GT" space goes, the Stinger is comparable to other "GT" cars. If you need to haul multiple pieces of luggage, a cooler, other odds and ends then a SUV would be the way to go, not a four door performance sedan. Adding more things (kids, more luggage) isn't going to magically transform the space that's there. The steel doesn't grow just because you want to put more into it than it was designed to carry.

The hatch is there to load awkward sized objects, hatch does not equate "hauler". There's a lot of smallish cars with hatches that couldn't transport a couch. Are they junk because someone is trying to fit something it wasn't design to carry in the first place?

The fact you fit what you described should be praise for the car, not a flaw.
While I appreciate your comments, I am comparing my GT2 (and my 2.0t Stinger) to other cars I've owned. And I've owned a LOT of cars, trucks, and SUVs in my day.

In cars of similar size, those with conventional trunks have - in my experience - held more "stuff" than hatchbacks, especially hatchbacks with the swoopy shape of the Stinger. That sloping roofline effectively rules out all but flat carry-on sized suitcases at the very back. That pushes everything up toward the seatbacks, and there's only one row of space there. Add in the cover (which I consider essential for security), and you're really limited. I can get more stuff in a decent-sized trunk than in the "cavernous" hatch of the Stinger.

And yes, you can drop the rear seatbacks - just as you can in most sedans these days - but in the Stinger the back seats are already doing some carry duty because of the other limitations, and need to be up. Besides, you get more tiring road noise with the seatbacks down.

I always find it annoying when we get into conversations like this, and when you voice anything remotely negative there's always someone who tells you that you don't know how to pick your cars, or advises you to get something else. I got the Stinger for a reason, and while I like it, it DOES have some limitations. Don't be so defensive.