1. PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Stinger sales in Aust

Discussion in 'Stingers Down Under' started by Ozstung, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Sales figures for Kia Stinger in April.

Large: Holden Commodore (629), Kia Stinger (160) and Skoda Superb (104)

2. Manaz

Manaz Australia Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Interesting. Would be good to see May and June figures!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ozstung

As requested May 19 figures per carsguide.

Large: Holden Commodore (670, 74.9%), Kia Stinger (157, 17.5%), Skoda Superb (68, 7.6%)

4. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia Stinger Enthusiast

You’d have to think most of those Opel shitbox sales would be fleet sales because I still don’t see a lot of them on the road. I don’t think they’re that popular but they’ll flog them off cheap to local councils and government departments

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

6. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Agree with the uniqueness but the downside is if they don’t sell they may discontinue the line and that just makes parts and services more expensive which isn’t good for any of us

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ozstung

With I believe 221 dealers Nationally Kia really need to be selling more than 160-180 a month. I know sales generally in the industry are at the lowest since 2011. But the Stinger should really have taken off imo.

Commodore? Why would you.

8. DCBStingerGT

DCBStingerGT Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Another segment that contributes too Stinger sales is the amount shifted too Australian Police , the Highway Patrol according to the notice below which was printed in the Herald-Sun Cars Guide last friday shows, the Kia Stinger is up 6.4 per cent increase over the same month last year, not a significant addition too total sales , but an addition none the less.

DSC_0534.JPG

9. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

90% of you live along the coasts.
    Most "Stingers in the Wild" sightings are from you lot down there.
    You're just not getting out much or keeping your eyes open. ;):p

10. Ozstung

To be honest I only probably report about 50% of what I actually see. Obviously I'll have to lift my game.:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

Large sedans are not selling well in any brand here in AU, wait until the Optima is gone from the AU market then customers in this market & price point will progress to either the 2.0T or 3.3TT Stinger variants.

12. crg

crg Newish Member

I think I've only seen about 3 or 4 in the inner west (Sydney). There is a red GT in the neighbouring suburb and a white one over in Marrickville about 5km away. Apart from that I've seen only another couple driving past out and about. At least I'll have exclusivity when I get one.

13. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia 1000 Posts Club!

I saw this on the news a few days ago, saying that although new car sales were low in June this year, the only brand that increased sales overall and by 2% was Kia.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DCBStingerGT

DCBStingerGT Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Same here, watched that as well, I was thinking "GO KIA":laugh::rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Joeygt

Joeygt Australia Member

I don’t think 160 sales a month is sustainable. I’m all for exclusiveness and rarity of it, but I worry that the stinger might have a short life span here in Australia.

16. Stinger GT SS

Kia Aust. original target was for 200/mth so with a bit of a push from all dealers these figures are achievable.
    Imagine if they aggressively advertised this car, not the soft way they are now.

17. crg

crg Newish Member

I feel like mid 60k for the GT (which is the only one with real interest) is just too limiting for mass sales. Not discounting the value for money, Kia is not a "premium" brand so it's much tougher for them to sell a car at $60k than for any of the Germans, even if you're getting much more car for the money. What are the volumes of the cars it competes against? I'd argue it's no longer competing with Commodore or any of those family vehicles and it's nowhere in the same price range. It's a tricky sell for a brand that traditionally sells cars based on the value price-point.

That's not to say it's not worth it, and they can't discount it. Just that it has limited widespread appeal due to those factors.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Stinger GT SS

$60k is not a “premium” for a car here in OZ in this day & age, but for this money you get a lot of kit as compared to comparable models.
    I was checking out the Infiniti Q50 sedan & you have to pay over $83k for the top “Red Sport” to come close to the Stinger GT, as for the Audi the A5 Sportback with same amount of appointments can top out at $135k for the high end model.

19. Dreddpax

Dreddpax Australia Member

Are you saying 60k, is in the reasonable margin to pay for a vehicle in Aus? In my mind its definitely in the premium category.

20. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

He's saying that if you want that much cool tech, features and "stuff" with any other brand you are into it tens of thousands of dollars more. It's the same story everywhere: Kia kicks butt on the price point. If you can't afford $60K in the first place for a car, that is of course a non starter.

Draft saved Draft deleted