Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Stinger pricing. Very interesting.

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger in the News' started by jondyer, Sep 27, 2018.

1. jondyer

jondyer United States Active Member

2. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Where have you been, man? It's the end of the year and dealers need to move these things or get stuck with them. Based on his numbers, it has dealer discount plus KIA cash included to get to that price. The 2019s are starting to arrive and KIA won't offer these deals for ever on the older model. People want to buy but some places are still playing games and some are really willing to work to get them out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jondyer

I guess so, but the discounts seem to be pretty steep so far. I am seeing 3 to 6 grand on the GT+ models but nothing like this on the 4 cylinder cars locally.

I knew that resale was going to suck, and I did not care since I intend to keep it for a while, but still.

Wow, that is a big drop in price for a halo car.

4. Jayce

Jayce United States Active Member

It's still a Kia, halo car or not. Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it), the rest of the US doesn't see them in the same light as most of us do.

On the bright side, if you waited, you can get an awesome deal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ScottM

ScottM United States Active Member

Definitely the case. End of the year "get 'em outta here" stuff going on. Sounds about right. The one thing that irks me are these writers or the perception that is made by the writers wording is that the Stinger itself (in all trims) is just not doing well. I do not have the sales numbers in front of me, but an assumption based upon reduced pricing is annoying. :cautious:

6. jondyer

I do agree, since the writer seems to not like the car. Or at least that is what I get from the comments they left. Mind you I am living vicariously through you guys since my car is still getting (re)painted and I have been driving a POS for almost two months.

The question still needed to be asked though. At least I am not the only one to see it. Of course, I am biased towards the car, so there is that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Waynerm002

Just wait, in a couple of weeks, the dealers will start running ads on the Stinger end of year sale to drum up business on it. A lot of places don’t know how to sell the car, they try the same old price gouging tactic but lose customers on it. Still bothers me that some sales folks are not up to speed on the car or the industry they work in.i shouldn’t know more than you do about the car when the internet is there in your desk, accessible to you day in and day out. Even some finance people are not aware of the pricing tool online when they spout ridiculous numbers and tell you KIA set them, when a quick check shows something entirely different. They think people are idiots, but it seem most time they are the idiots for underestimating their clientele. Just to be clear on this, it is not just KIA, even the upmarket brands do this as well. Like with KIA, it is not every store but the exists across the industry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OliverNuther

OliverNuther Australia 1000 Posts Club!

The car in the article plus all the other advertised cars were 2.0L cars. The experience here in Australia is that the 2.OL is much less desirable than the 3.3 so I’m not surprised to see heavy discounting on that model as dealers try to reduce stock. I’m pretty sure the 3.3 will hold its value ok. Even if they don’t, I’m damn sure I’ll get my moneys worth before I’m finished with mine.

9. Callum

Callum United States Stinger Enthusiast

I truly think the 2.0T will be phased out by 2020. The Optima SXL is a better looking car in most eyes. It also leases better. The 3.3T GT should be the “base” model IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

As mentioned those are all 2.0L non GT cars. Thats like saying the BMW M3 is selling for way under msrp because you see a bunch of 330i's heavily discounted...

11. forzanerazzurri

forzanerazzurri Canada Active Member

Thats a bit of a stretch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

How is it any different? The GT is leaps and bounds different than the 2.0L models. Just the engine, brakes, and wheel/tire combined alone completely seperate the two models let alone all the other features and differences between them.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  13. Dave Miller

Dave Miller United States Active Member Stinger Dealer

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  14. brancky3

brancky3 United States 1000 Posts Club!

True, but I would compare it more to how the Audi A4 model line is. The 2.0T (and 3 series BMW) is similar to the A4 but the GT is similar to the S4. The M3 would be comparable to an RS4 in this scenario

15. YEH

YEH United States Active Member

While Kia has narrowed the margin, the Q50 RS still has better lease deals, and Infiniti has long aggressively discounted the G/Q50.

Can easily get $17k off a 7 Series w/o even trying; figure the discounts on the 3 Series are even better (relative to the price) as the new model gets closer to launch.

Yes, the 2.0T will be phased out around 2020-21; around the time the Stinger gets its MCE as the 2.0T will be replaced by the 2.5T.

300 HP (more if aligned w/ a 48V battery system) should make the base model more appealing.

16. Callum

Callum United States Stinger Enthusiast

I would like to see a non-turbo 3.3 (same as Cadenza) with a 8 speed, and the 3.3TT nearing 425HP on a 10 speed auto, or 8 speed dual clutch for 2020. I know it's a far cry, but HYU and KIA already have DCT's on the lower powered model range. Leads me to think they are working up for the larger HP cars.

Sorry, but the 2.0T is just an afterthought to me on KIA's part to have a "cheap" sports sedan. They should have invested the 2.0T Stinger development money into making the Optima AWD. I would have bought another Optima if they made it AWD...that car is awesome however the FWD kills any of the "fun" you might be able to have with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Waynerm002

I just hope the 2.5T gets put in the Stinger as a base engine, that would make for a sportier base model, which they could offer option packages like a sport suspension for more fun and allow them to have a bigger engine on the top model. Bumping the 3.3 to 3.5T would allow for a harder edged car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Stingkia

Stingkia United States Member

Proble
    Problem of sales associates not knowing their product is pretty universal. Many sit around for hours in the dealership, and do no research on their products. Many aren't "car guys."

19. OliverNuther

OliverNuther Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Years ago I was looking to buy a new SS Commodore or preferably an SSV, which was the next trim level up. First dealer I went to asked me what I was looking for, told him SSV for about 40K (which admittedly was kind of a lowball price). He just scoffed at me and said “Mate, you won’t even get an SS for 40, let alone an SSV’. When I pointed out to him that his own dealership’s website was advertising SS Commodores for 38K driveaway he was completely oblivious. Wasn’t even embarrassed by his own ignorance.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Stingkia

Stingkia United States Member

Only benefit I see to the AWD is related to traction in the snow. The driving that 99% of us do in temperate zones doesn't require huge horsepower or AWD. What do you do with 400 horsepower?

Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: