Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Stinger Oil level - Above Full

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Salman, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Salman

Salman Saudi Arabia Active Member

I just got out the Service Center for (1,000 km service), since the dealership here have only sold a few stingers, I always double check with them to make sure they have not made a mistake.

First mistake they did, was put 10w-30 oil when I clearly requested them to put 5w-30. So they went back and put the 5w-30 oil. And gave it back, once I checked the oil level, it was considerably above the "F". So I told them how much liters did you put - stating to them that the recommended amount in the manual is 6.9l - which they answered that they have put 7.2l. So I asked why have you done that? The said because they have changed the oil filter and with a couple hundred kilometres, it will go back to normal between "L" and "F".

To be honest I'm not convinced, I'm no mechanic expert. So please guys tell me your thoughts about this? I'd love you knowledge feedback.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

The quantity stated in the manual accounts for the oil that the oil filter needs to fill up. They definitely over filled it. Need to drain some out.

3. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I'd find a new place to get your oil changed. Overfilling it and then telling you it will eventually burn off the excess is both lazy and incompetent - as well as bad for the car. :thumbdown:

• Like Like x 1
  4. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

If I recollect, Salman has said there is ONE Kia dealer.

Stay on top of 'em, Salman!

5. SteveCo

Unfortunate, but unless KIA is enforcing different warranty conditions in Saudi, there is no requirement to use the dealer for either required service or otherwise - based on this example, I'd look for alternatives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Salman

I've checked agian this evening, the oil level is way above "F". I'm worried, I hope it did not damage the engine as indicated in the manual book.

20180805_200605.jpg

7. SteveCo

It's doubtful that damage would be done in a short period of time. Take it back and have them drain the extra oil until it is at the proper level - they are the ones who screwed up in the first place (twice now), and have the proper tools to rectify it. They likely have 'de-oiling' equipment that just sucks oil out through the filler tube.

Again, can't believe that they told you it 'should be OK' in a few hundred kilometers. After the oil circulates the first time it runs after an oil change, the oil filter is full and the new indicated level is accurate.

8. Salman

I sent an email to the Service Manager and Cc'd the GM of Service Center. I'll be going to them first thing Tomorrow Morning.

Service Email.png

9. Salman

Yes, we only have one. Unfortunately I can't go anywhere, because in some way if the services where done outside Kia it will affect the warranty. Also, the car comes with 100,00km free service. So I would be throwing to huge deals out the door if I do so. @SteveCo
    I sure am !! I did not pay 50k to watch them damaged the car !

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Salman

And I can't belive how I drove away without a fight! Maybe because I worried that I'd be late for work. Anyways, for sure this will not happen again!

But it is truly amazing to screw up TWICE for 1,000km service checkup. That must be a world record of some sort !?

I'll have to double check everything they do, just like @MerlintheMad written above.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MerlintheMad

"May damage the engine" means, if you overfill routinely, over a period of time. There is no way that a single overfill, caught within a few hundred (or even thousand) miles is going to damage the engine (as long as you don't push the engine like a race car, anyway!). And even if you routinely overfilled the oil for the life of the car, it only "may" damage the engine (again, all or mostly conservative driving - between 2K and 4K RPMs - is good).

But if your sole Kia dealership will be so ignorant about such a simple, fundamental thing as refilling or topping off fluids, they will require serious watching. I would even get on the phone with Kia Premium customer service and give them a heads up about "your" dealership": let Kia know that issues with how your Stinger is going to be maintained have manifested from the get go. There's no reason why you should endure this alone. And Kia absolutely wants to know about their associated dealerships' incompetency before the fact of some warranty obligation because of what a dealership did wrong. 855-454-2847 is the number to Kia Premium Customer Service phone number in the US (got that off of this other Stinger forum webpage: https://www.stingerforum.org/forum/threads/1970-Kia-Premium-Customer-Service-phone-number). I have no idea how this works outside the US.

12. Salman

I'm at service now. They're reducing the oil.

20180806_074818.jpg

13. Salman

This is the oil they use:

20180806_075511.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. MerlintheMad

Looks good to me! 5W-30 synthetic is precisely what the manual recommends.

15. OliverNuther

OliverNuther Australia Active Member

And boy, don’t they look happy about it!! Lol.

Keep up them mate.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. NoVAGT2

NoVAGT2 United States Member

@Salman Thanks for posting your travails! It reminded me that I had the dealer change my oil late last week, but I hadn't checked it. Sure enough, they way overfilled it. Took it to a local mechanic and he drained the excess.

Cheers

17. Jasem

Jasem Saudi Arabia Newish Member

Hi Salman,

Sorry you had to go thru all the hassle for a simple oil change, I can't imagine how they are going to deal with bigger and more complex tasks?

18. MerlintheMad

Salman and Huda have been absent lately. Ironic: they get their long awaited car and then, silence. I wonder if they are too busy joyriding?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Salman

Hey Merlin, apologies if it seems that way.. But we are enjoying riding the car almost every our of the day !! we're having going to these far places having fun with the car, accelerating, listening to those great Harman Kardon and just enjoying the ride in itself.

Were almost never at home, its either I'm at work or joyriding the car with @Huda . we're only home at bed time, and in some cases we prefer enjoy the car than sleeping:laugh:

The car is so exciting to have, and the RWD is something else, I believe a mentioned to you before that this is my first time owning a RWD car. So I'm the only one aloud to enjoy the RWD. Unfortunately for Huda, I'm giving her the time to get used to the car first, and not to experiment with anything unless we are far away from the city, were I can't teach her how enjoy a RWD car with total caution and Safety. Because these two I take extremely seriously.

Anyways, were going to Dubai Tomorrow Morning, Because we have a Holiday Vacation for 9 days, but we're only going to spend 3-4 nights there. we need to go back to our hometown in time for the Eid Holidays (2nd Muslim Holiday's). To spend it with the family, and enjoy it alongside friends and families.

However I do remember I post about am expat livening in Dubai wanting to purchase a Stinger, which I've promised to let him test my car once I come to Dubai. But it seems I could not find the post were I've done that. I hope if reads this he can contact me to arrange this to happen, it would be an honor to help a fellow Stinger Forum Member.

Anyways, would anyone want something from Dubai? just let us know!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. MerlintheMad

@Salman as I thought: joyriding! Get that little woman trained, so she can drift through the corners with that RWD hanging out in back!

Draft saved Draft deleted