Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Stinger in limp mode, engine code for MAP sensor/internal torque control module

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by CeramicGT001, Jul 11, 2019.

1. CeramicGT001

CeramicGT001 United States Member

So I have a 2019 Stinger GT1 Awd with 7000 miles on the car. My mods are the AEM intake, ARK downpipe and a catch can...no other modifications stock tune. Driving on the highway the other day in Eco mode around 75-80 mph then a bunch of dash lights came on, I lost acceleration power which I’m assuming was “limp mode”. Pulled over and restarted with just a check engine light on and it seemed to drive fine but took it easy.
    Dropped it off at the dealer and they let it sit overnight and when they started it in the morning, the engine light had gone away but the code was still in storage. It’s a code relating to the MAF Sensor and they’re saying it was caused by the intakes which is understandable but I’ve never heard of anyone else having problems from intakes...Next they were considering opening the issue with the techline and mentioned that with the mods I have KIA could flag the car and Void the entire warranty...(What?) I told them to just clear the code and drive it to see if it would happen again. They’re going cover the diagnostics/service under the warranty but if it happens again it’s on me and I’ll have to return the car to stock.
    Anyone have any information about the MAF sensor and can clarify the warranty “flagging” system KIA uses for cars with any modifications?

2. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

That it is interesting. Our cars do not have a MAF, they are MAP based engines.
    Flagging a car is totally dependent on the dealer, however when they open a case with tech line they are required to specify if the vehicle has been modified and if they are tracing an issue to something that has been replaced by an aftermarket part then they, KIA, can deny the warranty claim.

Check your intakes most likely it is a hose that was left loose or a clamp that was not tightened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CeramicGT001

That’s what I thought about the warranty and tried to clarify with the service tech on the phone. They can’t just void an entire warranty..
    Our cars do have a MAF sensor as they called it and it can be affected by changes in airflow. Also everything looked tight with no loose components and they said it looked “professionally installed” even though I’ve done all the mods myself. Guess I’ll find out later when they test drive it and I pick it up. Have had the intakes on for 6000 miles and the down pipes for 2000 miles with no problems up until now.

4. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Our cars do not have MAF sensors.
    MAFs have not been used on vehicles for a few years now. Manufacturers have switched from MAF to MAP as it is more precise and less troublesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. CeramicGT001

Okay, thank you for the clarification. Guess that’s what the tech was meant to say. Have you heard of anyone ever having engine codes/ problems caused by cold air intakes on the stinger?

6. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

My buddy with a Q50RS had a bad map sensor, took it to the Infiniti dealership and they refused to replace it because he had changed his own (stock) airfilter.....

I would never take my car in for work with mods on it, should have put the stock intake back on. An aftermarket intake COULD be responsible for a bad map sensor. I wouldn't warranty it either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

As trivial as this is going to sound, the technicians and service manuals are based on OEM parts. If you replace parts, which perhaps contributed to the issue, some techs will have a difficult time diagnosing the problem.

With all that being said, there are no sensors on the intakes. However, if there was an air leak then it will impact the MAP sensor voltages (i.e., readings) and throw a code. What the technicians aren’t going to do is troubleshoot your non-OEM intake. So, i’d just double and triple check that all couplers are secure and all clamps, related to the intake, are tight and secure.

By the code clearing itself, it means that it wasn’t a permanent code and that after completing a drive cycle, or three, the ECU determined that all values were in range and therefore the CEL was no longer triggered.

While it may seem like an inconvenience, you’re actually doing the technician a favor by reverting to stock. I wouldn’t do it for a cat-back exhaust, but an intake, sure, why not. It’s also process of elimination, if the code isn’t present with stock parts then it points to the aftermarket, but it either case it could be something as simple as a coupler unseating itself or a loose clamp as opposed to an actual issue with the part itself.

In terms of warranty, I personally wouldn’t be concerned about it. There are horror stories out there and you won’t have to search hard to find them but the process of voiding one’s warranty isn’t as straightforward as it may sound. The car has at least 4 warranties and legally they cannot void the entire powertrain warranty for an intake. And that warranty has nothing to do with your emissions, rust, etc. warranties. It’s a much more involved process than some would lead you to believe and it’s much more probable for aspects of a warranty to be voided as opposed to the whole thing, which is done to limit potential legal challenges related to said components.

You’ll be fine but don’t expect KIA to be jumping for joy to diagnose your modded vehicle, regardless of how “minor” the mods are. Additionally, it’s not the individual dealership that approves warranty work, it’s corporate. Lastly, some dealers can help get warranty work approved for modified cards, after all they want the revenue, but if an inspector is sent then the dealer, and potentially the customer, may have a hassle on their hands.

8. CeramicGT001

So I got the car back, it drives fine now and no engine codes after the service dept cleared/test drove. The code that was originally stored was P061B00 - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance. The service tech and I speculated it could have been a combination of traveling at highway speeds, the aftermarket intake and the car being in Eco mode possibly affecting the air/fuel and the Map Sensor which tripped that code.
    If it happens again I’ll read/clear the code myself and likely install the stock intake. Thanks for the clarification on the situation to the above posters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

Do me a favor and double check your intake anyway.

P061B00 is definitely a PCM code with a direct tie to the MAP sensor.

If you’ve been nursing the car you won’t throw the code again. You’re going to have to get it above 5K for more than a second to adequately test if the issue is resolved.

Engine torque is monitored the PCM using input signals from the MAP sensor and the accelerator pedal position. Approximate required engine torque is calculated using the APP sensor and actual engine torque is calculated using data from the MAP sensor.

If the PCM detects a discrepancy in desired torque and actual torque for more than 1 second with the engine RPM above 5,000 RPM and volumetric efficiency greater than 16-percent, a code P061B will be stored and CEL triggered.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. CeramicGT001

Okay so I actually did check everything intake related and the catch can just to be sure when I got home. Drove around after checking and had it above 5000rpms for a few seconds did like a 40-80 pull in sport mode. No hiccups or anything. Very strange what happened the other day but glad it’s good..for now.

11. cncBilly

cncBilly Canada Active Member

Well I guess the morale of the story is "stay the #%*# out of ECO".

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

bahahahaha but seriously, it's worthless. I've tested it vs comfort and I have seen no difference in MPG.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

I don’t have definitive data to conclusively say that there’s a difference betweenness Comfort and Eco.

The throttle seems lazier in Eco. I needed to make a trip to Pittsburgh from Northern VA yesterday.

I wanted to run my tank as close to empty as possible before refilling with 93. I was about 65 miles from the gas station I wanted to stop at in Hagerstown, MD, for a number of different reasons. I was showing 58 total miles to E. Driving in Eco, that 58 total miles ticked up and I made it to the station with 3 miles to E remaining. I filled up with a little over 15.3 gallons. Given that we have a ~15.8 gallon tank, that’s pretty close. I probably wouldn’t have been able to stop where I wanted if I was driving in Sport.

14. Gtecko

Gtecko Canada Active Member

Eco mod definitely helps your mileages !! I did a trip the other weekend, all highway in eco (coasting is pretty cool) and I ended up avg 8L/KM
    filled up the empty tank and showed me 503KM range which I never had seen that high before.

15. Stingrey

Stingrey United States Newish Member

Ceramic...glad it seems it was "fluke" so to say. I am looking @ the AEM CAI system for my Stinger GT1 AWD, still researching others as well. I wont be pulling the trigger on one for a couple of months, so if you have any other "hiccups" over the next couple of months that maybe due to the CAI let me know. I agree with Billy by the way, screw ECO mode..:thumbup:

16. robz32

Which catch cans do you have?
    There was a report from a member here stating the he had a vacuum issue with the ADD W1 V3 cans. IIRC it was @ecko04 ?

17. CeramicGT001

I use eco mode on the highway because it seemed the “coasting” feature helped with mpg and would switch back to comfort/sport once in the city or on backroads. (Commute 35 miles each way) Other than the coasting aspect, eco is pretty useless compared to comfort in my experience and comfort is smoother in stop n go traffic.

18. CeramicGT001

The service techs just pointed fingers at the intake because it seemed the most related to the issue/engine code. I think the AEM intake is awesome and would recommend. Fitment is perfect, the heat shields are huge, no metal intake tubing and it looks professional as quite a few people have commented to me. Have had the intake and catch can on for 5000 miles with no problems until this incident on Tuesday which i still don’t have any answers to. Car drove fine again this morning to work.

19. CeramicGT001

That’s the exact catch can I have...the single can kit ADD W1 V3 from the stinger store. What did @ecko04 end up doing to fix his issue?

20. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States 1000 Posts Club!

Im sorry but those are complete junk. I have no idea why the K8 store has them on their site.

Draft saved Draft deleted