Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Stinger GT4 may be on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by RonNSoCal, Mar 22, 2020.

1. RonNSoCal

RonNSoCal United States Active Member

According to Motor Trend, March 2020, Kia is hinting at a possible Optima GT Coupe in the near future, powered by their new 2.5 L turbo which puts out 305 HP and 311 lbft. torque. MT feels this car could be based upon their 2014 concept Stinger GT4. I looked up the concept car and was blown away! To me, it is gorgeous and would make a great replacement for my aging Corvette. If it were to be available with the 3.3T, it would be perfect, but even with 305 HP it should blow away most anything in its class. The article states that Kia has Toyota in their crosshairs and this new coupe would compete with the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ twins. With the 3.3T, it might even compete against the new Supra, which, based upon sheetmetal the Kia wins hands down, imho.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

I think that the new Supra is annoying in some of it's design cues, like "they" tried too hard and overthought the various cues and how to fit them together. All subjective, of course.

To what extent a Stinger concept coupe would translate into a production coupe for an Optima is really questionable.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

The landscape has changed so much in the last 3 years , I woud bet on an Optima or Stinger SUV before a Coupe of any stripe ..........

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. RonNSoCal

The current Supra looks a lot like the concept car Toyota designed about 5 years ago. If Kia follows suit with their Stinger GT4 concept design, they will have a winner. The GT4 concept car is gorgeous.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RonNSoCal

True, but I am not sure we should rule out the coupe just yet.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Mike_TX

Mike_TX United States Active Member

Yeah, although Kia has a pretty full stable of SUV's right now.

This is just my own opinion, but I'd bet a coupe right now would sell about 10 units and them fizzle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. westcoastGT

I agree , they have a solid line up now with the new Seltos and Telly , plus updated Sorento and the rumoured Mohave , they cant keep the refreshed Sportage on lots for long either .....................Coupes are not something they'll invest in ...........( imo )

8. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada 1000 Posts Club!

To me, Optima GT means FWD. That alone is eww. As much as I can help it, RWD, or RWD biased AWD is the win, slides are fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RonNSoCal

The GT4 is a rear drive, front engine design and the concept shown has a six speed manual trans. Look up the info on the internet. It appears to be an amazing car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Revvdmedia

You post mentioned a Motortrend article, but I can't find that particular one. I went off of you calling it the Optima GT Coupe. While not impossible, it's unlikely for the same nameplate to have both a FWD transverse architecture, and a RWD longitudinal architecture at the same time under the same name. If it is a GT4 Concept based vehicle coming out, I doubt it would be under the Optima name (unless the Optima name is replaced by K5 around the world). I would think the RWD based variant would be a Stinger nameplate, or an entirely new name.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. RonNSoCal

The notation was within a paragraph near the beginning of the Mar 2020 magazine in which the reporter was interviewing someone from Kia, it was not a stand alone article. After reading it, I looked up the 2014 Stinger GT4 concept car and it looks amazing. The concept car was driven in a youtube clip, but gingerly, suggesting it was not ready for production in 2014. Also, that an Optima coupe would be based upon this concept was speculated by the MT author, not the Kia rep being interviewed. So I guess we should not start drooling yet, but the possibility is intriguing.

12. Revvdmedia

It would be interesting to see which of the brands actually ends up with the coupe, if any. Genesis, formerly having the " Genesis Coupe" would seem logical, and the G70 chassis feels like a good home for a quality RWD 2 door. Kia could do it, but would it fall on a Stinger chassis? Unless the coupe was FWD, I think that may be the only option (I don't know if the Optima chassis is suited to a longitudinal engine?). I somehow doubt Hyundai will end up with the 2 door, it just doesn't seem to be in their portfolio (sporty car there is the Veloster).

This 4 year lease I'm in should end with me departing the new car market, that would be the smart call, but if there was a good (not first model year) coupe in the HKG lineup, I could be interested by then, if the car is interesting. If I were betting, I feel Genesis will have a coupe in their lineup first.

13. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Would be sweet if the GT4 got the green light.

Attached Files:

14. westcoastGT

$1000.00 bet we will not see a Coupe from KGH in the next 2 years , unless it has an AWD drive train and looks like a BMW X6 !

15. Revvdmedia

Gran coupe...auto makers biggest lie today!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. YEH

YEH United States Active Member

Why would Kia be interested in something that would compete against the likes of the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ twins when the 2 barely sell?

Toyota sold less than 3,400 of the 86 last year and Subie sold even fewer of the BRZ.

The highest BRZ sales got was 8,500 in 2013.

Kia brass have all along stated that a production version of the GT4 was unlikely.

When the fate of the Stinger is up in the air, why would Kia be interested in investing in a 2-door that would sell at a slower rate?

Kia did state that they were considering doing a lux RWD CUV based on the GV80's or Stinger platform.

However, it could very well be that the production version of the Imagine concept no longer necessitates that (being a higher-end BEV sport CUV).

Which, if you add being a BEV, is pretty much the Imagine.

Genesis had plans for an entry-level coupe (GT70), but there has been little mention of it as of late; wouldn't be surprised if it has gotten replaced by the 3rd (BEV) Genesis CUV.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  17. Revvdmedia

The chassis sizing of the G70 is quite logical for a 2 door variant of the G70. The reality and question is what does it cost to R&D, tool and design everything for the sheet metal on a 2 door? Usually 2 door cars have unique seats (to allow for rear seat access), most interior bits are different less the dash. It sounds like a lot of investment for not a lot of vehicles sold.

I guess this is why coupe versions of the sedan (Like Infiniti Q60 Coupe vs. Q50 Sedan) cost so much more, trying to recoup the R&D and tooling to make the lesser sold variant (amortization over fewer sales).

18. RonNSoCal

Sometimes the loss is justifiable to create a halo car, because it can result in increased sales of the mainstream vehicles. A Chevrolet buyer may want a Corvette but may buy an Equinox because that is what he needs and can afford. Psychologically, his purchase may satisfy his desire for the Corvette on some unconscious level. Historically, a reason major car makers raced was because they found when their car won on Sunday, more people bought their cars on Monday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. YEH

YEH United States Active Member

^ But an entry-level coupe like the Q60 or RC wouldn't be a halo model.

A halo model would be a production version of the Essentia (BEV) concept - which the top brass at Genesis has been pushing for production.

[​IMG]

Altho, if it does end up getting the greenlight, can see it morphing into a 4-door coupe.

Automakers like Peugeot think that mainstream coupes are dying and will be only viable in the lux market, but even that seems dubious as BMW has been struggling to move the 8 Series.

More and more it seems like sporty coupes will end up being CUV-coupes like the X6 or Cayenne Coupe.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  20. RonNSoCal

The Essentia is a beauty!

Draft saved Draft deleted