Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Stinger GT2 AWD ACCIDENT

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Expatkevin, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Expatkevin

Expatkevin United States New Member

Gents, last February I leased a Stinger GT2 AWD. (St George, Utah) Middle of October I was traveling on a highway and came up to bunch of deer in the road at night. Long story short I breaked heavy and skidded into the ditch, back on road and ditch again. God was watching out for me as I didn't even scrape a knee. The car handled well for the quick corrections, but the ABS did not kick in at all, and when I went back to look only two long skids. Had blown driver front tire so maybe why no ABS. The ditch and rocks I went over tore up the underside of the car. State Farm has paid 33K in body work and labor. The car was in the body shop for 2 months. 2 months! Due to parts not being available I was told. Finally fixed- it was brought to the dealership 3 or 4 weeks ago for alignment and sensor calibration.

They noticed the car was overheating on one side of the engine. Did a block test and it passed. Had to reach back to engineers in Korea several times to troubleshoot. They checked the thermostat last (like after several tests and several weeks) as it is located back against the fire wall and required partial tear down to reach it. So therm fixed and now 4 months later and 33K into repairs...and NOW dealership is saying it's a crack in block/engine. Since therm replaced it does not pass block test. Also they took for one maybe two road tests. So who knows if block was bad before or after road tests. New engine needed. They told me honestly they don't know for sure but everyone is stumped and to test the heads would be a waste of money and time. Apparently engineers agreed new engine is best course forward. But they are stumped as well.

New GT2 Engine little under 7k and with labor about 12k total. Also no engines available currently. Dealer said may be a way to get around that.

So long long story short pray you all never get into an accident because Kia isn't going to do much for you. Even when using the dealer recommended body shop 2 months just to have body work (new front and rear end) done. Mind you no impact at all and 40k+ in damage.

I'm at a loss. Unsure if SF will approve another 12k to replace engine after shelling out 30k already. That would come to 45k claim total. No rental, nothing but excuses and ”I don't knows” from body shop and dealer. Talked to GM of place and he was supportive but said couldn't do anything and to hope they total it out and then come get a new one.

Had I leased a 55k Mercedes or Audi would I be in this predicament? Likely not! Love the Stinger, but this is just some major nonsense. Got another payment coupon in mail today. If I pay it then I will have paid about 4k (lease and insurance) for a leased car that I haven't been able to put a single mile on in 4 months!

Hope you other owners never have to experience this!

Kevin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada Stinger Enthusiast

When I had my hit and run my Insurance took good care of me, only problem I had was that KIA shipped the tailgate in a box which got damage during shipping. Came up to almost $6000 for a new bumper and tailgate, mind most of that was labour. It’s sucks I hope things start to go your way but, the main thing is your here to tell us about it.

3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Thanks for the kind words! Your story is the worst nightmare. Would be better just to have the car obviously totalled and written off than to have to go through this kind of prolonged agony!

As I look at your front end, I cringe to think that I could so easily have experienced virtually the same thing: if I had high centered on the taller version of those median "do not turn here" ridges (a Torrance CA economy for a proper island, and almost impossible to see in the dark): the one I went onto was just barely equal in height to my undercarriage panels, the two front ones of which I replaced. Just one inch higher, and my splitter and everything behind it would have been torn up.

There won't be a "next time", hopefully. But if any of us reading this encounters deer, I'm going to stay on the road and hit the thrice bepoxed deer. (Oh sure, in the moment, the wheel gets thrown unthinkingly; but I can try to plan my moves before the fact.)

4. WillieP82

WillieP82 United States Member

NEVER SWERVE FOR AN ANIMAL. Break and hit them, actually you're not even supposed to break for deer because it lowers the front and will most likely shoot them to your windshield. Glad you are okay and good luck, they should total it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Joeh1974

Joeh1974 United States Member

As a former claims adjuster years ago, State Farm should have never tried to pay out $33k and repair the vehicle. With that much damage, they should have declared the vehicle a total loss (even if the numbers didn't meet the threshold). Cars with that extensive of repairs are almost never right afterwards.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Stinger Enthusiast

I agree... they need to revisit their original decision. That sounds like a total to me.

7. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States Stinger Enthusiast

I prefer to floor it and hunt them down! Derp. Damn bastard animals.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WillieP82

WillieP82 United States Member

Taken out a few birds and cats in my day. Dogs hit my feelings a little unfortunately. lol

9. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Thank you. Made no sense to me.

10. GRStinger

GRStinger United States Active Member

What a nightmare. I agree with most posts here - ins. co should have totaled it! If you haven't already, start raising holy hell with them.
    My biggest concern for car damage is hitting deer. They are like frickin' field-mice here. My daily commute includes 10 miles of winding road thru heavily wooded areas - much of the year, dark or near dawn in the AM when they're moving alot. I've already had 4-5 near misses with the Stinger Brake, but don't swerve is my MO. And, I'm always happy to get not-too-far behind another vehicle moving at-speed. Let them 'plow the road'.

11. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

That car should've been totaled form the beginning, very surprised they decided to fix it. Let them total it and get on a 2019 and negotiate a deal for all the troubles.

Best of luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Stinger Enthusiast

I was going to say the same thing. (With the exception of being an insurance agent). That's total loss.

13. Jimmer

When I lived in North Dakota, a deer actually ran into the side of my car once while my daughter was I the car.

Then a few years later, I hit two row of deer at 70 mph...in a truck that had a front grille. Airbag deployed. Total loss.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  14. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

EXACTLY ! :) Wash

15. Jean

Jean United States Member

I had the very same accident...literally. I had about 31K in damages and the adjuster told me..."it is below threshold, but we will not risk finding any hidden damage" so they totaled it. Screenshot_20190104-031325_GEICO Mobile.jpg 20181105_082245.jpg 20181105_082235.jpg 20181105_082230.jpg 20181105_082202.jpg 20181105_082115.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. MerlintheMad

Horrible deer stories, folks! :thumbdown: The closest I care to get is my single "incident" many years ago in my Voyager, coming back to West Jordan from Herriman. Two lane highway, wide open fields to the left, and a doe loping across the grass toward the road, angling for me: seriously, it looked like she was trying to get to the same spot of road at the same time as me. I slowed down; she curved in, "trying" even more. By the time the stupid animal clipped across the road barely in front of me, I was under twenty MPH and braking harder. Deer on suicide mission: fail. She must have realized that all that was going to happen by that point was a lot of pain and no death. :rolleyes:

17. phxgt

phxgt United States Active Member

Terrible turn of events and I certainly feel for you op. But your wrath should be at the insurance company-not Kia. It should be totaled as others have mentioned as it seems odd a company would pay out $45k to repair a $52k list vehicle. The lack of rental is on the insurance company as well and has nothing to do with not being a Benz or Audi. It is probably something you turned down when you signed up for the insurance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Jimmer

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Joeh1974

Joeh1974 United States Member

The problem now is that the insurance company will be even less agreeable to totaling the vehicle as they've already spent the $33k in repairs. if they total it now, it will be $33k in repairs plus the market value of the vehicle ($40k-ish). That would put the payout on the claim at over $70k for a $50k vehicle. Poor handling by the adjuster.

20. MerlintheMad

"It's so hard to find good help these days." What else can be said at this point?

Draft saved Draft deleted