Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Stinger GT 3.3TT mods begin

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Jonnytig, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Jonnytig

Jonnytig Australia Member

20171121_120311.jpg 20171120_090759.jpg Hey everyone. Ok so we have gone through our running in procedure and clocked up over 1000km. Before we begin designing and building our performance parts we did some baseline power and afr measurements on the dyno. We saw 233rwkw and quite safe afr targets of around 11.5:1 dropping into the 10s at top of rev range on 12psi. I think this will lean out a tad when we fit our intake system. Hopefully by the end of week we will have our intake kit and dual 3" cat back exhaust finalised. A uncle chip is on its way until my software guru has cracked the ecu for full reflash capabilities. Will keep you all updated with progress with lots of pics along the way. We are really excited at the potential of this vehicle. It is an amazing car to drive. Hope everyone is enjoying theirs just as much

Kind regards Jon

• Like Like x 6
  2. Jonnytig

And so it begins. Oem exhaust is very restrictive. Cat back today, front cat back on weekend 20171121_125933.jpg 20171121_125947.jpg

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. ballistic

ballistic United States Active Member Founding Member Sustaining Member

so the stinger has a very restrictive stock exhaust. i love the sounds of that. it means there's more power to be made from simple modifications. i imagine exhaust and intake alone with make a nice difference. then tune, even more. sign me up!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jonnytig

It sure is. This is how we are looking atm 20171121_135309.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. STINGER

STINGER Bahrain Active Member

Very nice, good work.

Are you eventually doing turbo back?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jonnytig

Definately be doing turbo back. Will get the Stinger back on rollers and see where we are at with the cat back system. Its dual 3" stainless as a prototype. Once we are jigged for production the finished product will be fully tig welded and look much nicer. Its got a bit of a 6 cyl bark to it now and feels a bit stronger down low. Will see what the rollers say 20171121_153757.jpg 20171121_153757.jpg 20171121_153902.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ballistic

nice! it looks better already! yes downpipes would be great as well for a complete system. my plans are intake, exhaust, tune, fmic and downpipes. all stuff i've done before and don't mind the work but love the results!

8. LohungoDave

LohungoDave United States Member

Beautiful! Looking forward to the dyno numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonnytig

Ok so we just ran the Stinger again. These cars are a pain to do power runs in with the control freak auto trans. We picked up 7rwkw this was the lowest gain just to be fair. One run showed 247rwkw. Will post dyno sheet bit later :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jonnytig

Ok guys sorry for lack of updates been really busy. Well we spent the day on tge Stinger designing and building our new cai intake kit. The car feels alot more responsive and there is quite a nice but mellow whistle from the twin snails.

The factory intake is very restrictive and it pulls air from about a 1/4" gap under the big black plastic garnish cover. We have modified the intakes with ducting going straight into the filters and ducting cold air from behind the grille. Anyway here are some pics and we will hopefully get the Stinger back on dyno in the next day or so..... 20171124_123643.jpg 20171124_124322.jpg 20171124_145652.jpg 20171124_172542.jpg 20171124_172555.jpg 20171124_173227.jpg 20171124_173232.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  11. Marko

Marko United States Member

Since the turbos are located on the sides and engine bay looks really tight would turbo upgrades be able to fit with ease? Would you have to pull the motor out to slap on larger turbos? What are your thoughts on a turbo upgrade?

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Jonnytig

From what i can see the turbo bolts straight to the head. With a singular exhaust port. The comp covers are very close to the head so anything with bigger comp covers wont fit. I was thinking it may be possible to run a spacer plate between them to fit a larger turbo

13. ballistic

great! it's good to hear that there's so much restriction involved. it makes sense because they don't want the stinger to be loud and obnoxious. but it does mean there's a lot to gain from a few simple mods. i like that cone cai. another simple mod i'll be doing. i'm sure there's a lot of power left on the table through ecu and tcu tune in addition. it's not going to be difficult to bring this car into the low 12 second 1/4s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. STINGER

STINGER Bahrain Active Member

Is the turbo exhaust housing and exhaust manifold a single piece?

When I looked under my hood, the turbos seemed very small. I am hoping with a tune and/or upgraded waste gates we can hold boost to redline or at least not drop as much as it is now.

Since the turbos are very small, you think upgraded turbo wheels on the stock housings is worth while?

So many possibilities with this car, just can't wait to see were this goes. I hope the OEM fuel system does not lean out on us early and be the holding point for this development, here is hoping for 480-500whp on stock fuel system :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Frubin76

Frubin76 Mexico Member

Very nice work, mine is arriving next week, so collecting ideas for improvement

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jonnytig

Hey guys. Yup there is lots of restrictions. I think to keep it quiet and refined. The turbos are very small. Im hoping they will see it to just over 300rwkw. The fuel system is my biggest worry too being a direct injection. Not like we can just bang in a walro fp and id1000 injectors. Just have to see how much we can go i guess. Im wanting to get it into the 11s without changing turbos. Got a meet on the 8th December, so fingers crossed:)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Marko

Marko United States Member

Not sure why they put such small turbos. I love the sound of a turbo spooling and a waste gate dumping. Thinking back to the jdm cars.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

The smaller the turbos, the less the lag.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Larry Denen

Larry Denen United States Active Member Founding Member

Thank you for these updates @Jonnytig ! I have a couple of questions. I see you're in Australia. Can you give me a ballpark USD figure for the exhaust you're working on? Also would you happen to have any audio of the exhaust note with the new setup?

20. Jonnytig

Hi Larry. We havent finalized the final system just yet. Personally i am not 100% happy with the note. I am also wanting to try a single 4" through the centre section to see if we can get rid of that v6 twin bark. I would think the complete exhaust with 3" down pipes and 100cell cats would be around the $1500-$1600 usd mark. I will try and take some sound clips today of the intake system and exhaust. Hoping to get it back on dyno very soon. That intake system has made a world of difference

Kindest regards Jon

Draft saved Draft deleted