kia stinger store

Stinger Canada Sales? (the lack thereof)

dfsaqwe

Kia has offered pretty much zero incentives on the Stinger in Canada since release. All their promotions have targeted the rest of the lineup and seem to be always solely exempting the Stinger from them. And also, of course, dealers are offering very, very little negotiating room for Stingers.

They're moving on average 200 units a month (source: goodcarbadcar). At first I thought this wasn't too bad considering a being a new vehicle. But then Audi moves about 500 units on average for the much more expensive A5 and well over 600 for the more similarly priced A4.

The Stinger is still high on my list of a vehicle to purchase, but its still a tough sell for me due to expected depreciation, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, and Kia is not really helping the situation. In fact I'm seeing more G70s on the road than I am seeing Stingers, and apparently you can't even negotiate price for Genesis vehicles? Says further to the perceived value of the two cars.

I feel like Kia of Canada is not really doing anything to help get this car moving, even as far as marketing the car goes. I don't think I've even seen a Stinger commercial on tv yet.

Anyone else feel the same/agree?

Digitonaut

Newish Member
I feel the same in my region where only two Stingers was sold in a very large area but I am absolutely happy to be one of them.
Kia did not tried to sell it to me very hard. No rebate at all.
I don't really understand why they are not selling more, in Canada where AWD is a must and competition not very strong in remote locations as in my area (no Audi, no Volvo, no BWM, no Mercedes, no Porsches dealers... just Kia, Honda, Toyota or Hyundai).
As far as I know, this is more about branding, marketing that the car itself - that is far beyond my expectations. So that makes me feel as I did a smart purchase and enjoy having an almost unique car.
As for the value of the car, I am very confident that it will keep high. I already had few people asking me how long I plan to keep it to take an option on it...

Soca Boy

1000 Posts Club!
Edmonton AB Canada
Remember our Stinger has more features and cost less then most other markets. It’s a hard fight since the Canadian market is moving to SUVs and there’s still the “it’s a KIA” crap people like to say. I seen one G70 and a few Stingers lately, they do need to do more marketing on it.

atomiccow

Toronto, ON
Lol, I have to say I'm secretly happy. A rare care is always more special, for better or worse. Others may not appreciate it, but, since you bought it, you'll always know why it's worth appreciating. I'm in Toronto and I've seen more Stingers than G70s. To date, I have only seen one G70, but it might have been a test drive. I also saw another being test driven during my test drive at the Toronto showroom. Needless to say, the G70 could not dissuade me from the Stinger.

When I bought my Stinger from Lockwood Kia, they told me that they had sold 30 or so since the launch of the car late last year. I thought that was pretty good for a car in this segment. The fact that Kia isn't discounting it means that it isn't yet a commercial failure that needs to be cleared. Given the price we pay, there probably isn't much room for Kia to go lower. If we see rebates for it anytime soon, it's probably a bad sign.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
Kia Canada is selling more Stinger GTs than forecast and they have no plan for discounting them in the near term , they're launching the 2.0L GT Line shortly to fill that price gap ...................I think their strategy is bang on . They are trying to build the brand and are moving past their traditional discounting tactics on the Stinger to help create a premium halo ..............I was drinking BMW KoolAid for many years but I get a bigger kick out of driving my GT past the herd of German boys every day . The recent performance stats and vids have given these cars real street cred and I'm getting more and more positive feedback from the car owners that Kia is targetting with the Stinger . There are quite a few GT owners here that came from premium brands and I am pretty sure there will be a lot more when it comes time for lease renewals and new car purchases . After driving my car for 8 months now there is now way I could ever justify paying $20-30 K more to drive a German equivalent ..................in summary go buy the car at MSRP and be glad you did , you'll understand the value proposition pretty quickly

Last edited:

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
I hope they raise the price of 2019s
Totally agree , the GM of my dealer says they are considering it pending the sales results of the 2.0L ................I have said from day 1 that Canada "underpriced" the GT's , I would have paid more !

jdouga

I liked when i wouldnt see any stingers on the road but mine, now i see one every other day( different ones). I dont understand why depreciation is such a big concern, just lease it, and if you decide you want it, just buy it out.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
I liked when i wouldnt see any stingers on the road but mine, now i see one every other day( different ones). I dont understand why depreciation is such a big concern, just lease it, and if you decide you want it, just buy it out.
everyone has an excuse when they just cant quite get there ...............................

Stinger305

Los Angeles
I don't know how the market differences usually shake out, but Canadian Stingers are quite a bit cheaper than American Stingers. There probably isn't any room for price incentives. They look like pretty good deals to me, and you get the 360 camera!

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
I don't know how the market differences usually shake out, but Canadian Stingers are quite a bit cheaper than American Stingers. There probably isn't any room for price incentives. They look like pretty good deals to me, and you get the 360 camera!
agree ! some guys here that want a GT have a budget for something less and just cant get past the reality thAt we have a world class car here ....................need to learn its pay to play or wait 2 yrs for used Gts to surface

Last edited:

Jingguily

Newish Member
The stinger GT Limited is an absolute steal in Canada. Nothing else has that much tech, comfort and power for that price tag. And it comes with a good warranty too. People saying it is too expensive are either saying "I cant afford it" or theyre ignorant of the market.

It is okay not to like what it has to offer, but that has nothing to do with what its offering vs its price.

NS_Stinger

1000 Posts Club!
I think both GT models in Canada are a steal. The base GT still comes very well equipped with the same drivetrain at the GT limited for only 44k cad.

Johnni

Fresno, California
Wonder what will happened to the Stinger, if KIA decide to discontinue the Stinger and only made a one year Production. Until that day I will be the happiest person with a big smile on my face. :ninja:

NS_Stinger

1000 Posts Club!
Wonder what will happened to the Stinger, if KIA decide to discontinue the Stinger and only made a one year Production. Until that day I will be the happiest person with a big smile on my face. :ninja:

I can't imagine they would spend all the money developing the car only to discontinue it after a single production year but if they did the value on them would skyrocket and they would 100% become a collectable car.

atomiccow

Toronto, ON
The platform for the Stinger is shared with the Genesis G70 and other future Genesis products as well. Even though the Stinger might have been the first car they started developing on this platform, the platform isn't bespoke for the Stinger AFAIK. In this way, it's not like Hyundai/Kia will have wasted their full development cost completely. However, I find it unlikely Kia would discontinue the Stinger in one model year. Fiat-Chrysler was eager to kill the Chrysler 200, but it still went on for at least two or three years, and cars like the K900, which sell multi-fold less than even the Stinger, are still being imported.

forzanerazzurri

I feel like the car has totally flopped here. I have only seen two (Kia can spin the sales target/actuals all it wants, but they arent moving). Canadians are obsessed with eggs on wheels and seem to be OK with carrying as much debt as they can to be able to obtain the German brands. Depreciation was my initial concern with the car, but now that little negotiating room and paint defects are now apparent, its a car that will be nearly impossible to move as the lifecycle of the model progresses.