1. PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Stinger arriving soon, questions.

Discussion in 'Stingers Down Under' started by Wazz, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

Hi All. A newbie here and enjoying learning more about my soon (?) to arrive brand new Stinger GT MY19.

I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered here.

1) Ordered Bi-Modal exhaust, can the noise by tamed in ECO mode? Does the exhaust get loud at any RPM or does it kind of kick in say around 2500-3000 RPM in other modes?

2) I have read reports that the dash rattles a bit after fitting the exhaust. Is this common and any chance the dealer will have to correct this if it happens to mine?

3) I want to keep whatever parts of the OEM exhaust they remove, in case I want it reverted to non-bi modal later. What should I expect to get back or do they keep it as part of the deal?

4) The dealer's "pre delivery" person phoned me to say she could offer me free tinting...brilliant. Later explained a paint protection film thing and if I get that, tint is free. Told me $1395. Has anyone been offered this? Price?

5) Got the car for a good price, around $57k D/away for Nov18/MY19 with bi-modal but could only have Silky Silver. I wanted Blue or Red but had no choice. I thought ok, obviously in stock awhile and they want to clear it, hence cheap price so went for it. I asked if brand new, told yes "probably" less than 10km on it and still in plastic. Found out only after I paid the deposit that it was approximately 10 days away, 2 days later the contract was emailed to me and said around 20 days. Dealer claimed when in transit they count it as being in stock! Fact or Crap?

Cheers and sorry for all the questions.
    Waz.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Hi Wazz and welcome. I'm sure all of your questions can be answered by the fraternity.
    The Bimodial exhaust I test drove a vehicle with it on, I was considering having it added to my existing car. It was really hit and miss with the sound. It came on start up and then didn't appear to later in the rev range but that was my one driving experience. I didn't purchase.

The bimodial is useful in that the engineers have developed it to cut down on the horrendous drone that the other aftermarket exhaust incur.

As the Bimodial is axle back you won't have many stock parts to stock pile. Bimodial is a safe bet.

Dollar wise if you went in to purchase the exhaust after the fact it would cost you $2600 retail. But if you factor into the purchase price of the vehicle then you're getting it for nothing.

I have just finished the last of the sound proofing which included all the boot and under the back seats. The reverberation has moved up the car as a consequence and is rattling the USB port area in the front like a demon. I have an aftermarket modified Ark grip exhaust.

$57,000 good price. Some will say its last year model, but if you plan on keeping it for years to come who cares.

You will love the car, great value and brilliant bang for your buck.

3. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Congrats on your new ride, welcome to the Hive , enjoy :)

4. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

5. Flameangel

When we went for a test drive for an hour, the demo Stinger had a bimodal.In Eco mode it was quiet but when we booted it at bit in sport it was very obvious.When we were sitting at the lights it does have a nice rumble to it without being over the top.Originally I was interested in the Borla S type but hubby thinks this exhaust will be fine.We do want to use it for touring, after all it is a GT and not a " sports car ". Plus we work shifts, I don't want to annoy the neighbours at around 6:30 am starts.In recent times a lot of Dealerships have dropped the price of the bimodal to $1,300.I mentioned this to the one we are going through at the moment, the sales guy told me the exhaust price was $3,000 and I corrected him, he went to check with his manager and game back saying " sorry, I stand corrected " If you haven't done your research about the car, they really do try to pull the wool over your eyes :rolleyes: .We are not asking for the stock one back as we are more than happy with the bimodal.

What PPF are they offering you ? at the dealership we are with they have Hydro Protectiv it is made of combing Silicon Carbide and Ceramic and has a life time warranty.It was going to cost $995 but that included a discounted deal which also included the window tint and Black Vue front and rear dash cams.
    There was a issue with the presentation of the car when we went to pick it up so they are sourcing a new one and we are considering doing the PP at a detailer in Geelong who has a 5 star rating and rave reviews.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

Not sure which type but thought it was similar to what you mentioned. She was very pushy when I said I've already gone over budget getting a new car vs 2nd hand/demo. She said "if" I was financing it, it's only a "cup of coffee" extra per week added to repayments over a 7 year loan. I guess she'll pay the extra $$$ interest for me over that time? As she said tinting was free initially then backtracked and said free if I get the PP deal, I asked if the windows already had tinting (I'd hope so for a $57k car). She said "probably" but we can make it better with out tint. No deals offered, thought seeing I mentioned it's too much for me to do, she'd throw in a sweetener or two, reduce the price. Just felt $1395 was a little over inflated.

7. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

Welcome, sounds like a reasonable deal, however Nov.18/MY19 is not in stock if it’s 20 days away, where is the car, this is now over 7 months old, if it was in stock it would be in a yard belonging to the dealer & would take no more than 2-3 days to deliver to you drive away, so I call BS on this & worry what they are giving you.
    I would require an inspection of the car the minute it arrived at the dealership & also 20 days gives them plenty of time to get the colour you want, so I would be a little wary & cautious.
    In the end I hope all goes well & you get what “you” want that’s the most important thing.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

Yes a bit odd now you mention it. That says, apparently (according to my invoice) it has a compliance date of May 19. Still a 5 month gap from production date of 02/11/18 to then. I am about to email the dealership for a please explain. As mentioned earlier, when I said yes to the deal and asked if I can pick it up in a few days, he said not in stock for another 10 days. When I asked him the how do you say it has "probably" less than 10km on it and still in plastic is it in stock... he said it's on the way and anything still coming in transit is classed as "in stock". Then invoice came, and said 20th June approx (invoice generated on June 3, so another 17 days beyond that!)

I did a search on Vic Roads site for VIN/engine #, nothing comes up, it's no registered as yet.

Maybe I will ask for my $1000 deposit back citing dubious discussions with the person in question in terms of blown out dates of delivery his version of "in stock", saying will take 2 days to fit the bi-modal (dealer is Southland Kia in Cheltenham). I'm really worried/stressed by this now.

9. Stinger GT SS

Well if your not comfortable with the situation use you instinct & move on. I always go with my gut feelings, did exactly that on Saturday, I walked away on something I was going to buy, went to another store, paid a bit more but both my wife & I are glad we did, could have made an expensive mistake.
    In the end if Silky Silver is not what you want, you need to hold your ground on the colour choice you want or go elsewhere, remember this, while you still have the $$$ you have the power, after you hand over the $$$ you are then at their mercy.

10. Flameangel

@Wazz, are you prepared to travel into Melbourne ? I know someone who bought a Stinger off the floor, it was build 19 My19 with Bimodal and GT matts for $57,800. There's red and blue at this dealership on the floor

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

I have paid $1000 deposit but I'm happy to complain to the Dealer Principal tomorrow rather that the Sales Manager and even speak to KIA head office and I am sure they don't want its name tarnished by (possible) weird practices at a dealership. Silky Silver is fine but when he couldn't budge on a demo chroma blue (with 8000 on the clock!!!), he messaged me with "Deal of the Century" (lol), and did mention it was a Silver Stinger. It was then I asked if he could make it the red or blue and was told no had to be the silver.

12. Stinger GT SS

Well if he wouldn’t budge on a demo with 8k on the clock, but happy to make “ the deal of the century” on a car you cannot see, well I smell a rat. They should have been open to do a deal on that demo as it has high kms on it & should have been happy to shift it.
    Let’s be realistic the sales guys don’t care about you or the car you end with, they are only concerned about end of month sales figures, nothing more nothing less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

Yes very true - I've just emailed KIA head office to ask about the specific VIN number (KNAE551CMK6053594) to see if they can shed more light on the situation and see when that car actually left their holding yard...and why dealer would not offer me other colours etc - not that I mind Silky Silver, just not my first option. I'll speak with Dealer Principal tomorrow and express my concerns and possibly cancel the deal.

14. Stinger GT SS

That’s a good process to go through, stick to your guns, go with your “gut feel” & most of all don’t let them bully you into something you don’t feel comfortable with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Just a side note complaining to Kia Aust is liking complaining about your wife to the mother in law:D. Take it from me Kia Aust made it perfectly clear to me they do not care what so ever about what the dealers get up to.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

Sounds about right, Holden weren't much better with my VF Calais V a few years back :(
    Oh didn't mention earlier I didn't know it would be a 2018 MY19, asked him a few times to clarify it was a MY19, which he did, I didn't expect it would be a 2018 so I've been mislead by that a tad... omission of details is pretty ordinary, only knew of this when a mate pointed it out on the contract/order. Not once did the Sales bloke mention was a 2018!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  17. Bigbikes

Bigbikes Australia Active Member

Congrats on your purchase :thumbup: I pick mine up on Thursday White, red leather, bi-modal ex, the bimodal works off throttle position and the drive mode your in at the time..As for the aftermarket stuff my daughter was selling it for VW dealership she worked at the mark up is ridiculous.
    As for window tint they have only factory tint through glass, but for $250 you can get whole car tinted.,,As an ex spray-painter half of these polishes they want to sell you can source yourself and do your own ceramic coating its so so easy to apply and varies in price from brand to brand,but you can get enough for 2 cars for around $125...seen cheaper on ebay but not sure of the contents :thumbdown:..just apply it when car is new if you can saves the extra prep work...hope this helps you abit cheers

18. Wazz

Wazz Australia Member

Thanks mate, that's a great help. Well done on your purchase too. I was after red leather seats, dealer gave me no choice of anything for the deal I got. The white looks damn good I reckon, would have gone for that but have had a white car for past few years, wanted a change.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted