Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

STILLEN Front Splitter Falling Off

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Exterior Discussion' started by NYstingerGT2, Oct 9, 2018.

1. NYstingerGT2

NYstingerGT2 United States Member

I installed the splitter with the double sided tape it came with but it’s not strong enough to keep this splitter on . It’s starting to fall off and wondering if it safe to use the self tapping screws it came with . Has anyone installed the STILLEN splitter with self tapping screws ? I’m worried that I’m gonna screw into the fascia . Any pointers ? Help

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Never thought

Never thought United States Stinger Enthusiast

I saw either here or on FB where someone’s splitter came off when they were on the highway. Personally, I’d take it off and ask for your money back. Their stuff for the Stinger is pretty craptastic on the fitment. I am pretty sure that person used the screws as well and the whole thing came off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NYstingerGT2

Thanks for the input . It’s ridiculous , paid 330 $ plus shipping and now it’s falling of and sagging also . They assured me the double sided tape is strong enough to hold it . Total BS

4. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

Yea total BS.

You should always use the screws supplied. If it was a side skirt, maybe tape would hold better but the front has a lot of wind resistance.

Screw those suckekers in... don't be scared

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Socalstinga

Socalstinga United States Active Member

I’ve had this on my car and used both the tape and the screws. No taped on splitter will stay on by tape alone. The quality is actually good and durable. I’ve taken my car up to 120 and it still on... don’t accept the dogma, it’s a good product if installed properly

6. MekstingerGT

MekstingerGT United States Active Member

Theres no double sided tape on earth that's going to keep it from falling off. Your going to get oil, gunk, water, in between the splitter keeping it from sticking. I always use screws or clips w/screws.

7. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Active Member

Whoever told you double-sided tape will hold any kind of front splitter on needs a head exam. I would remove it, reapply new tape and secure it with the provided screws.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. NYstingerGT2

I did take it off and reapply it and screwed it in . It’s super tight and not coming off but I’ve encountered a new problem now . I guess the force of the wind is pushing down on the splitter and now the bumper is pulling apart from the lower grille . Every time I drive at high speed the bumper slightly dislodges from the shiny part of the lower grille . Best way I could describe it without a pic

9. SilverNitr8

SilverNitr8 United States Active Member

Can you post some pics? I'm trying to picture how it would pull the bumper from the lower grille.

10. Never thought

Never thought United States Stinger Enthusiast

I guess Stillen’s claim that it is functional is correct! That sucks man.

11. Socalstinga

Geez how fast are you going lol... I thought my 120 was fast... and that was the I15 which can be windy af and debris filled...

12. Rango

Rango United States Stinger Enthusiast

See if you can get your money back and get the M&S splitter (make sure it is the advanced version). Solid and well made. I taped and bolted it on the front (8 bolts). Also used 3M adhesive promoter with the tape. The adhesive promoter makes the tape stick like the OEM KIA badge emblems, and we all know how hard those are to remove. No issues with my splitter and it is rock solid. Plus I have scraped the front a few times because my Stinger is lowered, but when I do scrape, it scrapes underneath the splitter and shows no damage from the front.
    20180913_173948_3.jpg 20180913_174029_3.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Active Member

You're not the first on here to complain about this. Another member on this forum had a thread about a roadtrip in Dubai and had the same issue and posted some pictures of it.

14. Socalstinga

If I’m not mistaken, I don’t think he had a splitter. The problem was w/ the bumper itself right?

15. SilverNitr8

Nope he did not. He was going top speed at 168 mph when his bumper came loose.

16. NYstingerGT2

I am posting a pic of where it’s coming apart . The fastest I’ve done is 90mph . I’m figuring the downforce wind is pushing the splitter down which is forcing the bumper to come loose where I put the arrows . Let me know what you guys think

Attached Files:

17. SilverNitr8

Thanks, so the other issue with the other guy with the bumper coming loose is not the same as this. How is the lower grille attached? Is it clips or screws? Did this happen before you screwed the lip in or after? If the grille is held by clips, you may be able to re snap the clips or add a 3m tape.

18. Socalstinga

i'm thinking you may have scraped something that pushed the bumper down. that part wouldn't be coming down with downforce, I don't think..

19. NYstingerGT2

I’m positive I have not scraped anything . I thinks it downforce wind

20. Erock1800

Erock1800 United States Member

Did you paint your front splitter? I only see the matte black when I google it.

Draft saved Draft deleted