kia stinger store

Still Looking BUT

DTD

Yes I am still looking at the Stinger. I think in pictures the 22 looks nice. In my opinion 22 or 23 will be the last year for this car. The sales have fallen every year since 2017, in 2018 they sold the most 16,806 not good can't make a profit on that, So far in 2021 they have sold 1,437 that number is terrible unless sales sky rocket the Stinger is gone. I also see that the whole dealership experience has a whole is not good. I have read about many bad purchasing experiences and many service problems. I know that not all the dealerships are bad but it appears the majority are not good. Now we all know that getting cars serviced anywhere can be difficult so I would not want to have more problems after I buy the car. Just don't know the Kia's and Hyundai's keep getting more and more recalls. Where is the new K5 GT, that was o arrive in December, must be some problems. Kia's and Hyundai's are also easy to steel and they depreciate like a rock. I know this is mostly negative but this is just information about these vehicles and the information is not good. I have read that many of you really like your Stinger's so for that reason alone I will keep looking.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
This is a Stinger enthusiasts' forum, after all. :D

Like brakes, paint, extraneous noises, et al. the flaws that get trotted out daily on here, the dealership experience is also a bone of contention. But look: The Stinger Dealership Experience the good outnumber the bad, even here where people come to vent over grievances.

HGK don't get into the top five year after year for reliability if recalls outweigh reliability. Those recalls reflect due diligence, not poor quality.

DTD

I don't know how I ignored MerlintheMad but I did catch a glimpse of his reaction I can't see it anymore. Since he said this site is for Stinger Enthusiasts I won't post anymore unless I buy a Stinger.

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
So far in 2021 they have sold 1,437 that number is terrible

Are you sure about that? That number CAN'T be right.

*Edit: You're right BUT February saw a drop of 30% which is also when the 2022s first started arriving. That massive drop is probably because people were waiting for the facelifted Stingers to arrive. The April numbers should see a jump over the 2020 April numbers.

monusa

I am kind of inclined to agree a little about the clock ticking on the Stinger. Sales make money and that is the basic goal of any business. Not sure how Kia can increase sales of the Stinger when the SUV appears to be KING right now.

They will always be able to sell "Soul's" and now the K5 Just like Toyota will always be able to sell Camry's and Corolla's but the Stinger requires a special buyer and there are just no enough of them to keep the car alive. I hope I am wrong but this is our reality.

WRXtoStingerGT

Stinger Enthusiast
Yonkers NY
Buy the Stinger if you like it. Don't buy it if you don't. I don't think it really matters. I went with my 2020 GT-RWD because I wanted a new car for the first time in my life and I figured since Kia throws in a pretty solid (best in the market?) warranty from the factory it's a no brainer. I could not care less if they discontinue the Stinger tomorrow afternoon after a lunch meeting or turn it into an entirely different type of car. Makes no difference to me at all haha. :D :p

Buy the Stinger and forget the rest of the nonsense. It doesn't matter. Trust me! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

monusa

Such a weird post from op. So i will leave no comments by leaving this post
It Was kind of "out there" and like WRXtoStingerG stated: If you want the car, buy it. Some of the issues you talked about are no different from other auto makers when they bring a brand new model to market.

I believe the Stinger was/is worth my money and after a quick 30 min drive to my parents house today, I still had a smile on my face when I got back to my place. The car now has 30K on it. I have owned cars that didn't do that for me.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
They're valid gripes and clearly the OP is reading the threads here, as all those issues are present in one or more topics.

Had I spent more time on this forum prior to buying the Stinger it may have made the decision to go with the Stinger less 'foolproof' due to the number of random problems people have, whether mechanical or service related. Am I happy with my purchase? At 5,000 miles in 4 months I'm fine, and unless something drastic happens to sour me I will continue to be a proud owner of the vehicle for several years to come. However, I can understand why someone looking in from the outside would be weary, and Kia is entirely to blame.

Geebucks

They're valid gripes and clearly the OP is reading the threads here, as all those issues are present in one or more topics.

Had I spent more time on this forum prior to buying the Stinger it may have made the decision to go with the Stinger less 'foolproof' due to the number of random problems people have, whether mechanical or service related. Am I happy with my purchase? At 5,000 miles in 4 months I'm fine, and unless something drastic happens to sour me I will continue to be a proud owner of the vehicle for several years to come. However, I can understand why someone looking in from the outside would be weary, and Kia is entirely to blame.
You need to consider that every car has problems, and the forums will always play host to those who have issues. I've bought many cars without getting ingrained in the enthusiast forums, because the cars were basically appliances. The Stinger engenders feelings, which is a reason people are passionate about them! But don't believe that STi forums, or M/RS/AMG forums, or any other enthusiast forums are without many threads that might warn someone off buying. And just like any review or rating, outside of 'the locals', you're much more likely to hear from someone who had a bad experience than someone who's had a great time. Nobody signs up to say 'everything is going well!' if they wouldn't otherwise join a forum.

As OP self-identified, his comment is mostly full of negatives. You can cherry pick negatives about any car. Buy whatever you can't stop thinking of, and roll with whatever comes up. If you expect the experience to suck, well...

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
You need to consider that every car has problems...

I've considered and posted exactly what you just did elsewhere [and in this same section, a few threads down]. Sorry you had to waste that time.

It's about optics. Recalls, rattling trunk lids, brake dust creating vibrations, humming/cutting off stereo amps, service department issues, etc isn't building a strong case for someone looking at their first Kia that costs $35-52,000. I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to go in another direction based on the issues posted here (often the same issues).

People complaining is one thing, people complaining about the same things consistently across geographic areas and model years, another. The issues are not the car owner's fault (most of the time), so that leaves only Kia and/or the dealership to blame. Hence "I can understand why someone looking in from the outside would be weary, and Kia is entirely to blame."

Kia doesn't need apologists, they need to get their act together and get called out for their shortcomings. They should also get praise when deserved, which most of us shower on the vehicle itself. In the bigger picture, Kia makes fine cars. But there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Last edited:

Geebucks

I agree with almost everything you've said, and yeah your prior post is making the exact same points that I am. I'm not trying to be an apologist - my point is more that in my opinion and prior ownership history, the Stinger is not more prone to issues of varying severity than any other car. Don't get hung up on all the negatives. You'll NEVER get a car that across a decent ownership sample is without issues.

If the forum is scaring some prospective owners away, maybe including the OP, I would just suggest that they spend equal time in the forums of all the cars they are considering. Level the playing field, and know what you're (potentially) getting into.

ht_addict

I would suggest the OP, quit reading and plunk his ass in the car and take it for a test drive. You will not find a finer sports car in this price range with all the features and raw power it has from other Brands. With a warranty to boot. I have been a KIA owner for the last 11 years, have bought 3 Souls(2010 x2, 2018), 2012 Optima Hybrid and now my 2020 Stinger. I have had only 2 issues in owning all 5 vehicles. One was a sensor in a Soul and the other was some suspension on my Optima after 150k km. All were covered under warranty. My Stinger had the hatch rattle but that was an easy fix for under $10. I also bought the Extended warranty for my car(8yrs/200K) so I am covered bumper to bumper for as long as I keep my car, and its an bonus selling point if I sell down the road. But to be honest, I can't see that happening. This car is a thing of beauty and I will do to it like I did to my Optima and keep it in tip top shape both inside and out. If you saw my 2012 Optima before I traded it in, you would think it was brand new.

Ric 'Ochet

I agree with much of what is posted in just a few short months of owning the Stinger. It’s a great car if you don’t have problems, It’s a crappy car if you do. I’ve owned three Kia‘s prior to this and have been lucky to not have had any major issues with any of them. I don’t, however, agree that the Stinger will be gone in 2023. With the elimination of the K900 and the Cadenza, the Stinger will become the flagship sedan for Kia, followed by the K5, Forte, and Rio. SUVs reign supreme, but Hyundai/Kia is also missing a pickup which I believe every mass production manufacturer has.

The problem that Kia has is in its marketing of the Stinger stateside. Hopefully that changes with the elimination of the other two sedans. I have not personally had a bad experience at the dealerships in my area. The dealer I take my car in for (warranty) service to, I would never buy a car from.

ScottM

Las Vegas, NV
Owning my first Kia...the problem is not the Stinger, it's the Kia dealerships in relationship to this car. I knew that I would deal with some growing pains when I bought the first generation. My issue is that when I go to a dealership it just doesn't feel right. It feels like the people working their aren't happy about having to service a Stinger because it's a Stinger. It's almost like they work there, but they don't respect that the Stinger is a sports sedan. Then again, maybe that's related to all of this. It's their first sport sedan type thing and they just aren't used to dealing with these things. BUT... it's 2021 now, so I'd think it wouldn't be a thing anymore. I dunno. I just don't trust the Kia dealerships. The car, I'm fine with it and would buy it again. :cool:

G

G-110120

I have a 2021 Stinger and am very fussy with servicing. Have owned Hyundai's for over 15yrs and have had them serviced at The Hufhines dealership in Plano Texas and have nothing negative to say. So when I took my Stinger in for service and a small factory recall I received nothing but excellent service. All I can say is from owning Alfa Romeos, BMW and Mercedes this is one of the nicest rides I have had and enjoy it every time I get in.