Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

SSR Performance down pipes sound

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Dochidalgo, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dochidalgo

Dochidalgo Mexico Active Member

I'm disappointed in relation to the sound of the exhaust, far from the sound heard on the product SSR performance page video, seems to me that their test Stinger had another addition in the exhaust......axle back maybe?. I liked the fact that I had a nice sound and an extra ponies gained.
    I have installed the drop ins K&N filters only.

However, I feel a gain in engine power according to my "dynobutt" or "placebo effect", definitely.

Am I the only one with this impression?

2. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Do you have stock exhaust?

3. SKStinger

SKStinger Canada Active Member

It adds a bit of a deeper tone to the exhaust and that’s all I was looking for. I’m happy with it. You’d have to change the rear exhaust portion to see a major change in noise but that exposes you to drone.

4. Dochidalgo

Yes..

That "a bit a deeper tone" I can't hear from the exhaust that I was looking for too !. In fact, the sound heard on the product SSR performance page video it's by far a bit deeper tone.
    May I ask you to see the video....
    KIA Stinger GT 3.3TT Competition Series Downpipes (2018+)

Thanks for your comments....

5. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Active Member

To my unrefined ears, mine sounds just like the SSR video, therefore I am very happy with my SSR Downpipes with the stock exhaust.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Active Member

The design of the stock catback is slightly different from country to country. The US versions were made to be a little bit louder for our market from the factory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dochidalgo

Ahhh, that explanation seems logical and I see the reason my Stinger's exhaust does not sound like the SSR advertisement video.
    Thank you.

8. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I'd be very wary of comparing anything to (or making a purchase decision based on) a video recorded on YouTube. Especially when using something like a smartphone for the recording.

There are so many variables and limitations involved with both the recording and playback (hardware and software) that at best it's useful for hearing a relative difference when using the exact same equipment, recorder location, and settings throughout (e.g. a recording of sound before pipe installation and sound after).

Even then you're often dealing with automatic sound compression, equalization, etc. that is going to affect the audible results.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kgh31386

Kgh31386 United States Newish Member

Can someone post some cold start videos inside and outside with just the downpipe and stock exhaust? Any drone cruising around?

10. JP's_Stinger

JP's_Stinger Canada Member

Does deleting the secondary cats cause trouble with the KIA dealership? I know that just a catback is nothing to them and they won't bother to see it in the shop (no warranty issues for the rest of the car). Is it the same for a downpipe that deletes the secondary cats? Anyone ever asked the question to them or have bring their cars in with this mod at the dealership?

11. dwh7

dwh7 United States New Member

I will be able to post some videos here shortly with the downpipes from SSR, got a lil antsy and put on the axel back with the rest of the stock exhaust today. The sound from the outside is phenomenal, the drone while even city driving is absolutely horrible. Im going to try different setups to see what is tolerable.

12. SKStinger

SKStinger Canada Active Member

It’s still “cat back”. These are mid-pipes which would traditionally be included as part of a cat-back exhaust. So if your dealer is fine with a cat back exhaust then they’ll have no issues with these.

13. SteveCo

Sorry, not following what you've got on there now - the SSR downpipes, and what behind them?

14. Kamauxx

Sounds like he's running SSRs muffler delete with Kia resonators in the middle and SSR mid-pipes up front.

15. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Stinger Enthusiast

Cat back exhaust paired with these midpipes should be nice.

To the person who said catback included this section, that isn't correct. They start at the x pipe and back.

16. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States Stinger Enthusiast

That seems like a stretch since you are removing cats still which is illegal in most if not all states.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. dwh7

dwh7 United States New Member

Right now I have just the ssr axel back on with the rest of the car exhaust stock. Ordered both the axel back and downpipe at the same time but have yet to recieve the downpipes

18. Kamauxx

Ohhh... The mid-pipe is going to make it way better on the outside and worse on the inside.

19. SteveCo

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not a fan of increased noise, but like the additional performance promised by the SSR downpipes/secondary cat delete.

I'm going the route of the down/mid pipes only, and keeping the stock exhaust back to the tips. I'm willing to trade off a small increase in noise (and I'm hoping it will be minimal) in favor of a considerable power boost. It seems that the gain in the down/mid pipe is the best way to achieve that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Dochidalgo

...and How would you rate the sound, deeper.."nice" or drone,,thanks for your imput...

Draft saved Draft deleted