Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

SSR down pipes + Thermal cat back = DRONE

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Andimal, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Andimal

Andimal United States Member

Hey all,

I just had SSR down pipes and Thermal catbacks installed. There is A LOT of drone when on the gas between 1800-2300rpm or so. I picked the thermals because of the tame note and lack of drone, according to reviews.

So my question is: is the drone being created due to the down pipes in addition to the catbacks? What are some ways to help the situation? Resonators? Anyone else running this same setup?

Thanks!

2. Socalstinga

Socalstinga United States Active Member

I'm running the same set up. I got the thermals on first for about 5k miles and then the jun bl dps (on for a few weeks now). that 1800-2300 rpm range your talking about, I've experienced that since I got them installed, usually the resonance in that range I experience while light acceleration and wouldn't necessarily call that drone. semantics aside, it quieted down quite a bit when I installed some sound deadner in the spare tire area (road noise reduced substantially btw). Then I installed the dps and although louder, it wasn't as intense of a resonance as when I initially installed the thermals by themselves and prior to the sound deadner.

Some have suggested to either get some new resonators or use the old ones from the stock setup. Another option would be to sell the thermals and throw the stock mufflers back on. you get the performance aspect of the DPs plus a little more growl without the deep bassy sound of the thermal (which I think is one of the bigger reasons for the resonance) I may do that eventually, but I would just cut the thermal muffler off and sub the stock ones in so I can still use the piping from the thermals. There is no way I'm putting the stock piping back on, way too restrictive.

Either way, there is always bit of trade off when trying to up the ante on performance and power...

3. Never thought

Never thought United States Stinger Enthusiast

There was no drone pre-install of the DPs, right?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andimal

If you're asking me, I put them both on at the same time so can't answer that.

5. Never thought

You may want to try adding a resonator. I’ve read great things about the Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator. You may want to try that.

6. Andimal

For my knowledge, how do you attach a resonator? Do you have to cut the pipes and weld it in, or attach it some other way? Not too familiar with them and have done limited research.

7. Never thought

I am no expert but I think they are welded in.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hojae84

Hojae84 United States Active Member

I went from stock, to ssr downpipes w stock exhaust, now ssr dp and junbl gt catback.
    Holy smokes the combo is loud as hell. I am going to sound deaden the spare tire area soon. Did you just use dynamat or equivalent? Or did you do the whole shebang with the insulating layer after dynamat etc?
    I do think for those who value quiet, downpipes with stock exhaust while not awesome sounding, is an improvement over stock with a lower bassy growl.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jwolf

Jwolf United States Member

I have the SSRs and Ark Grip catback. It is loud and the resonance in that range was pretty bad. I put dynamat in the spare tire area and under the back seats. It made a huuuge difference. There is still drone, and it is still loud, but on the highway at 80 it made it to where the road noise and wind noise is about equally as audible as the exhaust which is fine for me.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hojae84

I guess I'll be dynamatting the tire area at least. Maybe more.
    That dynamat adhesive is nasty gooey stuff.
    I remember replacing my floor carpet on my old shitbox tacoma truck. that went fine, then I decided to dynamat. Little did I know that a dynamat adhesive chunk made it's way onto the sole of my shoe. Then I realised I had lots of black spots all over my new floor carpet.
    Hopefully dont make that mistake here

11. Hojae84

Was it pretty straightforward to remove the door sill trim to pull up the carpet? Any gotchas or tips ?

12. Jwolf

Jwolf United States Member

The trunk area is easy. I didn't pull up the carpet anywhere. Just take out the spare tire and do that area. I didn't take the battery out because I didn't wanna deal with any negative consequences from doing that. In the back seat area I didn't pull up any carpet either except a small patch right behind the seats. You'll see it when you remove the carpet over the spare tire. The seats are easy to get out. Unscrew one bolt on the middle pivot point of the back rests, then pull them out one at a time. Lift the middle out and pull it towards the front of the car until the corner will clear the other section, then pull towards the opposite side of the car. The seats have clips at the front on each side, just pull up firmly, and one bolt on the back side underneath the folding pieces. Remove those and they come out easy.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Hojae84

Cool thanks for the info :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Socalstinga

Socalstinga United States Active Member

Dynamat... although I have seen lighter weight material that people have said has worked well also. I think one guy used flashing tape from Home Depot (on fb)

15. Adamdan

Adamdan Canada Active Member

I thought about getting the thermal or ark to go with my jun dp. After hearing how loud these setups are I’m happy I have the jun evc coming tomorrow. Downpipes are stop catback is a good way to go for most people. It sounds a little louder and deeper but still super quite on hwy. I wanted louder though. It sounds louder down low but higher rpm in the cabin engine sound over takes it.
    From the outside it sounds good though powerful but not loud.

16. Andimal

I put sound dampening all in the trunk, helps some with the resonance, I have to agree with SocalStinga that it is indeed resonance. In sport more where the RPMs sit a little higher you don't really get that low rumble, but definitely when giving moderate gas in ECO mode. I'm going to get under the car and double check everything the shop did tomorrow, and put on the proper clamps that Thermal sent, and arrived today.

I am getting a pretty strong vibration/buzz in the early gears while accelerating in eco mode. Usually in the 15-35 range with low/moderate gas input. It seems to be coming from the hood area right in front of the drivers seat. Can't tell if it's just hitting that special resonate note, or if something is lose. Went in and tightened up everything I could post intake install, and it's still buzzing occasionally.

Let me say though, finally opened her up today and she PURRRRRs! Sounds amazing once you get above about 3,500 RMP! Still seems to be a little bit of lag in the gas pedal before it really kicks in, but I'm presuming that's going to remain until I get a tune.

17. Adamdan

You might be hearing rasp from the downpipes. I can get some rasp too in the lower gears when I hit the throttle somewhat hard in the lower rpm range it starts around 2000rpm and stops around 2400. Is that when you hear the sound? It almost sounds like a loose heatsheild or something but it’s just coming from the pioes because there is no cat. Also I don’t think the thermal has a resonator so that will make things worst. Do you have a video of the sound?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

Thermal has 2 resonators.

19. Andimal

No video.. Lose heat shield kind of makes sense, I took it off the other day to put on new hood "vents", and broke a few clips, so I'll replace those and see how it goes. No problems when I hit the throttle hard, it's mostly with slight-moderate input, slowly creeping up between the 1500-2200 range.

20. Adamdan

Sounds similar to what my car does. Here is a video of my car this is with door open so it’s sounds really loud in video. Yours sound like this?

Draft saved Draft deleted