Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Spark plugs without tune

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by T-Mo94, Feb 12, 2020 at 5:36 PM.

1. T-Mo94

T-Mo94 United States New Member

It's time for me to do my plugs at 42k miles. My question is would it be alright if I went ahead and got the HKS plugs (plan on getting a tune eventually)? Or would the gap they come with not work for the stock tune?

• Like Like x 1
  2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

You've been lurking for a spell! (since before I even joined, but only just barely:)) Welcome into the open! :D
    I can't answer your question. But I do like to say hello.

3. T-Mo94

yeeeaaaa I’ve been around awhile and seen lots haha. Never really had much of a reason to post since most of my questions get answered some where but this one I just couldn’t find.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Silverghost

Silverghost Canada Active Member

I have a stock 3.3 and asked my dealer to re-gap my original plugs to 0.025".
    They did that, charged me, and I have had no problems since the re-gap.
    I am sure you could supply your own plugs and get them to install them.
    My car runs just fine - like before the re-gap.
    Go for it.

5. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

I would wait until you get the tune to do the plugs (or just before). Since the HKS ones are all colder heat range, putting them in without a tune would just lead to earlier build-up of carbon deposits on a stock tune.

Check the condition of your stockers at worst, and maybe gap them down to .027" or something if they look a little aged.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. T-Mo94

That's what I'm thinking. Or go no lower than 1-step colder. As far as actually doing the plugs I don't really got a choice haha. Less than 100 miles shy of 42K and that's the change interval in the manual.

7. StingerGTT

StingerGTT United States Active Member

waist of money till you get the tune in my opinion I mean unless you plan of getting your tune very soon that is.

8. Pnasty

Pnasty United States Member

spark plugs aren't that expensive. If you're set on changing them now and not waiting to tune then just go with the same plugs and upgrade once youre ready to tune imo

9. NICK_KHAR

NICK_KHAR United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

10. M'Kehyah

M'Kehyah United States Active Member

Plug change interval is a conservative engineering estimate based on substandard fuels and worst case driving (all traffic and no highway driving which cokes up a plug eventually).

If the car starts and idles fine now - and you plan to tune in the next 10K KMs - just wait and tune at that point. If performance suffers before the tune - then buy OEM and regap closer. But a heat range colder to support tune is not dramatic and any carbon will burn off once tuned and some "spirited" driving ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted