Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Snowwwwww!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Non-Stinger Talk' started by DiabloStinger, Oct 28, 2019.

1. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

You don't need to convince me. :laugh: What I don't get is that up there in Canadaland, there are actually drivers who think that they can get around just fine on A/S. On the coasts, sure. The lowlands. But inland with arctic freezes for days on end. Holy, crap.o_O

2. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada 1000 Posts Club!

As noted, you CAN use A/S. You might never have a real issue doing so. To debate that a winter tire ISN'T better than a winter (as some have said to me in my lifetime) is just preposterous. I firmly believe even some of the worst winter tires will perform better than the best all season tires. Don't even start on the people with AWD SUV's and their ideology of invincibility in all conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. turboAWD

turboAWD United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

When I entered a winter rally in Ontario back in the day (~20 years ago), the first car in the ditch was a Subaru WRX with all seasons.

Experienced rally drivers called them "no season tires". It was a timed rally, not go as fast as you can, although we were behind at every stage due to not daring to go at the 50 mph speed limit on the snow/ice covered cottage roads at 3 am. I did hit 115 mph down a farmer's path and got air once.. :) Guy who won? He was in an '81 RWD Tercel. He won most of them.

Traction can vary a lot - best snow tires on my '84 Jetta GLI (13" - yes 13" wheels!) - some Uniroyal brand (my sister worked at BF Goodrich / Michelin for a while, so I got cheaper tires for a while). Worst "snow" tires? Michelin Arctic Alpin. Best winter/snow tires period (not for ice, but for winters with frequent snow) - Michelin PILOT Alpin. Handled like a low-to-mid level performance tire on bare pavement. And had great traction in the snow. Did a winter rally with them with maybe 4/32s or so left, and still did ok (car broke down, no fault of the tires). Drove them in the summer at the wear bars (I was moving and selling the car in a few months) and they were as good as my Kumho performance tires. This is from 25 winters in SW Ontario..

Edit: I meant '81 RWD Corolla, not Tercel.. My bad.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 12:37 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  4. turboAWD

Thanks for the map! That's hard-core :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Pretty sure all the Tercels (other than the 4WD wagons) were front wheel drive.

Good setup for a rally car, though - we rallied a front wheeler Honda Civic of that era back in the day, and that thing was unstoppable. :thumbup:

6. turboAWD

Yeah, my bad - I totally got my econo-box Toyotas mixed up. Never owned one, so maybe that's why. I meant Corolla. I think it was part of the E30 generation ('74 to '81).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Choppa

Choppa United States Member

Her first Snow :coffee:

IMG_3091.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  8. P22Tyler

P22Tyler United States Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Nasscar

Nasscar Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Great colour for the snow. Camouflaged.

• Like Like x 3
  10. lun471k

lun471k Canada Member

Can confirm. It's really not that effective with darker colors :D

upload_2019-11-11_11-36-54.png

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Nasscar

You wake up in the morning and say 'Where has my Stinger gone??'. Incredible. How do you drive it now?

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

You have to get the snow off first! ;):p After that, "piece of cake". :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Nasscar

What, with a shovel.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. lun471k

lun471k Canada Member

I'd rather use a rake considering there's always an ice crust somewhere in that snow. You just gotta be gentle with the paint.

The real answer is I'm using a scratch-free snow brush:
    [​IMG]

The wiper area is always a pain in the ass though.

Attached Files:

15. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Sorry guys you're braver folk than me.

16. P22Tyler

P22Tyler United States Member

If there's a lot of snow I'll take it off down to a certain point so that I'm not creating my own blizzard as I drive along. But I won't take it directly off the paint.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nasscar

Never seen one of those. The things you have to do just to drive your car. Unbelievable.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

True , but you dont see many dash mats or windshield reflectors here either ................

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

.........................and we dont need Kangaroo bumper guards ..................... kang.jpg :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. namja

namja United States Member Sustaining Member +

What about alcohol/water solution?
    What about isopropyl alcohol and water solution?

Draft saved Draft deleted