1. PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
  2. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Snow: Rain-sensing wipers are driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Canada Stinger Forum' started by Clearly Canadian, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Clearly Canadian

Clearly Canadian Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Not exactly sure how this technology works but the rain sensing wipers do not seem to know what to do in the snow. Half the time they dont turn on, the other half they are running too fast. Just give me my manual timed delay wipers back! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

I don't even need to experience this to know that I want nothing to do with such a fangled "convenience", ever. It was just one of the many features on the GT2 that I was glad to avoid by getting the GT1.

3. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Just change the setting to manual.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Dan1028

Dan1028 United States Active Member

Is there a way to have manual/normal intermittent control? I couldn't find it in the owner's manual and the auto feature is worthless and frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Clearly Canadian

Clearly Canadian Canada Stinger Enthusiast

You can manually control them but there is no time-based intermittent setting.

6. Ucinn

Ucinn United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Mine work pretty well, just have to change the sensitivity once in a while is all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Crisis

Crisis Canada Active Member

Agreed. In fact, if I feel the windshield needs a wipe, I just rotate the wiper stalk end by one notch up the sensitivity and then back again to the lowest sensitivity sensor - that gets me one pass of the wipers. I'm used to cars that have a way to have the wipers make just a single pass, so this is how I accomplish that while having the wipers set in Auto.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada Active Member

I'm a little late to this party. I've done the 1 notch change for the wipe, but I also agree these auto wipers don't perform well in the snow, mine just don't wipe hardly ever.

Second to that, if you don't have the defrost up high enough or you don't wipe the window enough, snow becomes frozen to the blades and leaves crazy bad streaks. I've never had this problem on any other car. And why did Kia remove the heated wiper blade strip on the windshield, I had that on my '12 Sportage SX. It's already a million dollar replacement windshield, so that heated bit couldn't have made it cost too much more lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

m
    Oo! I like that. Never heard of it before. What a "cool" idea: while the wipers are in the "off" position the blades are being kept cozy and pliable. Every vehicle should have this. If the government can mandate things like catalytic converters and various warning devices, it can surely demand clear windshield devices on every vehicle. All it is, is a single strip of the same material and function as a rear window defrost. How much could it cost? I'm surprised that if the Sportage has it that the Stinger doesn't.

10. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada Active Member

From what I recall in my terrible memory, it seemed to work quite well too...

• Like Like x 1
  11. PMB

PMB Canada Member

I think that on some vehicles with thin glass, the front defrost can cause the window to shatter. As opposed to the rear windshield which gets a much larger defrost area, and therefore the stress is more distributed. Also, the front is more prone to chipping from impacts, and stress from heating can cause the glass the crack. I've seen it a bunch of times that windshield with that strip are cracked along the bottom, so that's my educated guess what is happening.

The stinger has pretty thick glass to help reduced wind noise, so, like you I want the strip.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted