Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Shifter-which is "better" and why?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by 4wheelpilot, Apr 16, 2018.

1. 4wheelpilot

4wheelpilot United States Active Member

The GT2 has the drive by wire shifter that does not have a manual shift mode.
    All the other models have the "mechanical" shifter that does give you the ability to put it into manual mode, and keep it there until you put it back into auto mode (unlike the paddle shifters which revert back to auto mode).

Which do you think is "better"?
    Pros and cons of each?
    To you, was/is the drive by wire shifter a deal breaker because it doesn't have a manual shift mode?

I'm leaning towards the GT1 for this reason.

2. Weareblondi

Weareblondi Canada Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

are you certain about the drive by wire not having a shiftable option?

3. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

There's no "permanent" manual shift like the mechanical shifter.

Using the paddles puts you into "manual" mode, but going below 4MPH will put you back into auto shifting mode and there's no way to disable it.

The mechanical shifter has a "manual" position that will keep you in manual shifting mode since it's physically moved into that mode.

4. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

The shift by wire does have a manual shift mode. All you need to do is press the minus (-) paddle and voila!
    To put it back into auto mode, you just need to press and hold the plus (+) paddle for 1 sec and that's it.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 4wheelpilot

4wheelpilot United States Active Member

The mechanical shifter has a separate "gate" to the left that puts you in manual mode, and stays there until you push it back to the right for auto mode (in addition to the paddles).
    So the drive by wire has a way to go into manual mode for as long as you keep it there, or just the paddles?

6. Grayt 8

Grayt 8 United States Member

The drive by wire will revert back to automatic mode when you stop, even if you are in Sport mode. As you are stopped, you can pull it back into manual with the paddle, and it will stay in manual from that point forward, even if you stay stopped. But you have to remember to do it each time you stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MikeyCanuck

MikeyCanuck Canada Active Member

With the drive by wire shifter, I find it easier to just pull back on the shifter (D) to put it back into auto mode... no button press required BTW...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

My daughter's challenger behaves like this if you *don't* put it into "manual", but I've never found it annoying to select 1st (left paddle) before moving off again. I can use it when I want by simply pressing the paddles, as opposed to having to mess with the (mechanical) shift level.

Not saying it's good or bad, just saying it's not uncommon..

9. Sensibly Spirited Driver

Sensibly Spirited Driver United States Active Member

I got the GT instead of the GT1 in part because of the shifter. From a design standpoint, the ham fist Audi thing in the GT2 is just fugly. From a usability perspective, I prefer to have an actual "park" shift, not a weird button setting park mode. The shifter in the GT looks better, and is superior from a functional perspective. As a bonus, it also has a dedicated "manual" mode, so if you prefer that to the paddles, you've got both options. I don't know if anyone has tested it, but I think on Saabs, the stick changes were input by the car faster than the paddles. It would be interesting if that were case in the GT. Other benefits the GT has are a mechanical steering adjustment. It's just the standard lever to unlock, you move the wheel where you want, and flip the lever back to lock. Sometimes I'll make a steering wheel adjustment at a red light, and I want that to be instant. With the upper trims, the steering wheel is adjusted by buttons and motors, so that's one more electromechanical thing to break, as well as being slow and cumbersome. I wish it had a real ebrake, which you could use during driving, but none of the stingers do.

Perhaps the biggest benefit to the GT is that it doesn't have that huge sheet of glass above your head, so you get lower cabin noise and a more rigid frame. You also don't have to deal with the glass exploding, as some forum members have experienced in their GT1/2's. The shifter was big for me, but the quieter cabin was the main reason I chose the GT over the GT1. My previous car, a Saab 9-3, had a sunroof I used all of three times. I would have happily traded that functionality for the reduced road noise of a real roof.

My disappointment with the GT would be in its stereo. I think it's rather poor, so will probably be upgrading that. I find it fatiguing, and fiddling with the tone controls didn't help. Switching amps and routing it through a dedicated equalizer should sort it, as I think the speakers should be fine.

There wasn't really anything in the GT2 that interested me except the LSD (Limited Slip Differential), but that is under $1,000 to add at a shop. I also liked the HUD, but you can buy GPS speedometer HUD's on Amazon starting at $30, so neither of those were worth an extra $10,000 to me. Then you're stuck with the glass roof on the GT1/2 and that ham shifter. I liked the larger LCD between the tachometer and speedometer, and might put the GT2 version in my car at some point, but that's pretty minor. I didn't test the sound system in the GT1/2, and reviews say it's decent, so that could be a plus.

I will say, if you're getting a GT, be sure to get the driver safety package. I didn't think I'd have any use for it, but the blind spot warning lights in the side mirrors are actually quite useful given how limited the rear visibility is. Obviously lane assist and adaptive cruise control and all that stuff is nonsense, but you can turn all that off by pressing a couple buttons to the left of the steering wheel. It also gives you auto wipers, which are actually good (and there is a sensitivity rocker switch you can use to adjust it).

That's a bit long, but, yes, I certainly prefer the "T" style shiftier to the ham fist one.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Eugene Onegin

Eugene Onegin United States Active Member

...and adaptive cruise control and all that stuff is nonsense ?

11. BIGRED

BIGRED Canada Active Member

I wouldn’t change my GT Ltd for any other trim. This car is fully equipped

12. Sensibly Spirited Driver

For those that don't use cruise control, yes. For those that do, no. He asked for opinions, that's mine.

13. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

While it may not be the best looking shifter, it is the most comfortable thing I've ever rested my hand on. It's basically hand-shaped and amazing to rest on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Rango

Rango United States Stinger Enthusiast

GT2 owner here. Love all the bells! HUD with nav, speed sign, blindspot, radio station displays. Love it!!! I like the look of the drive by wire shifter. Better looking than the outdated T bar shifter. Absolutely love the sunroof!!! Fresh air and the warmth of the sun ... girlfriend poking her head through the opening while I hold her legs! Life is good!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Sensibly Spirited Driver

I didn't know people used their A/T stick as a hand rest. I've always used the arm rest. :) Learn something new every day.

Anyway, in terms of the OP's questions, has anyone with a GT tested the shifting action with the stick and with the paddles? I know on some Saab's, the stick action was inputted faster than the paddles. My car is still in the break-in phase, at 500 miles, so I won't be doing such testing for a while. I'd love to hear from GT owners that have. I'm glad they put a rally-style shift option on the GT, which I found out about when I test drove it. Most reviews of the car have been based on the GT2, so paddles were their only "manual" option, and they reported the changes often being sluggish (same as Saab paddle shifters). That, of course, isn't about the transmission, but about the software choices. Does the software approach the rally shifting action on the T stick the same? I know, from reviews, that turning the ECS off allows for redline bumps, so testing it with the ECS both off and on would be welcome as well.

16. SonomaGT

SonomaGT United States Active Member

I love my GT1 rwd. The transmission is so quick and smooth, I haven't found a need to go manual, not even to shift down for more power. I've used the paddles a few times for fun. I've also found the car to be very quiet. Maybe test drive all three options if you can? Then you'll know for sure. Good luck on your selection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hydrajin

Hydrajin Canada Member

I don't see any reason really to keep it in manual mode, if you're after early shifts to save gas you can still override by shifting up or just put it in Eco mode and it will shift automatically under 2000 rpm (1500rpm if ur easy on the gas pedal). In any mode you're in, whether it's sport or not, downshifting will hang gears more than long enough for you to maneuver or for track use. I say go with the gt2 and don't look back, buy this car fully loaded as it really is something special fully loaded and way more enjoyable with all it's features. I think the comfy palm rest shifter is much nicer than the ugly sticks which are dated and look out of place in modern sport luxury cars.

18. Sensibly Spirited Driver

This seems to be being posted over and over (in many threads). The main thing is getting the car that has what you want, and certainly test driving each of them is a good idea. In many cases, more expensive trims will have "features" people do not want, and would pay not to have--across all brands. For example, I'd pay not to have the sheet of glass above my head, because I want a quieter cabin. Some people would pay to have it. I'd pay to have the more functional T shifter, some people would pay for the ham shifter. I'd pay to have a mechanical tilt shift on the steering wheel, some would prefer a motorized version, and so on. I wanted a V6, and some will want an I4. Both have pros and cons. It's just about getting the right car for the individual, and no single trim fits that bill. That's why we have options. The OP wants a T shifter, and was asking about other's thoughts, and if the ham shifter was a deal breaker. Telling people to "just buy" the particular trim you like isn't helpful, especially when their stated tastes differ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sensibly Spirited Driver

*UDPATE: I just found out that the L.S.D is only on RWD cars, so for the AWD cars--from the GT through the GT2--it's all the same! The main feature that interested me in the GT2 it didn't even have!*

20. Sensibly Spirited Driver

We don't have a GT LTD trim in the US, otherwise I would have got that too! I'm jealous of you Canadians! No 360 cams here :( Also, Thunder Gray is my favorite color for a car. My Saab was was a very similar color. The best we have in the US, for my taste preferences, is Panthera. It's a really nice color, but I'd certainly take Thunder Gray if we had it, and I would have gotten the GT LTD trim too. Count yourself as lucky! :)

A couple days after I got my car, I read that Kia was going to release an "Atlantica" limited edition (500 units) in the US which will all be a deep, dark, beautiful blue. It also has espresso brown seats, designed for the true gentlemen (or lady). Further, it will have the dang 360 camera American's got stiffed on. *sigh*

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted