Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Shift knob bumps from Drive to Neutral without depressing shift button

Discussion in 'Open Letters to Kia Motors' started by Dr_jitsu, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu United States Active Member

This is a potentially very dangerous problem. I was in drive the other day trying to launch into traffic doing 55 mph. Just bumping the shift knob lightly put the car into neutral and nearly caused an accident. This is my first major problem with this car, and it is significant.

The car should not just dump into neutral so easily. It should be necessary to push the knob in in order to shift from Drive to Neutral.

2. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

This is not unique to Kia.

91 Nissan 300zx.... I think my 11 moustang did it too.

It’s so that you can safely get it into neutral (coasting) with fear of over pushing into reverse.

You have to adapt. Very deliberate (holding) going into drive or reverse.

3. ...This is an automatic transmission functioning as designed. There may be some brands out there that have a neutral lock-out from drive, but they're definitely the minority of manufacturers. It's been this way for decades. I can't say I've driven every automatic there is, but I can say every automatic I've driven behaves this way. There are safety mandates nowadays requiring there to be a lockout to go into reverse (either from park or neutral), but you can enter neutral from either reverse or drive with no additional action other than bumping the stick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gargamel

Gargamel Sweden Active Member

I have more the problem when i put drive in and let go of the stick, it jumps often back to neutral for me.

Other cars with automatics i've had, did not do this.

5. Callum

Callum United States Stinger Enthusiast

GT2 is pretty easy to bump into N. There is no real mechanical resistance on that shifter. I have done it a few times with my hand resting on the shifter and hitting the brakes.

6. NismoDPB

NismoDPB United States Active Member

Common for modern automatics. I will say that the shift lever is high relative to the seating position which makes it easier to hit with your elbow, but the shift mechanism itself is working as it should.

7. Sushi

Sushi Canada Member

That's because the stinger has an electronic shifter, not a manual shifter.

8. fastestneon

fastestneon United States Member

:thumbdown: almost all cars made do this... Its standard in the industry haha lmao

9. gbgary

gbgary United States Member

that's pretty much normal on all automatics.

Draft saved Draft deleted