1. PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Saskatchewan Stingers

Discussion in 'Canada Stinger Forum' started by Crisis, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Crisis

Crisis Canada Active Member

Kinda sounds like a sports team, doesn't it?

Seeing as how Stingers have been available here for nearly a year and I do occasionally see some on the street, I figured it's time to start a thread to see how many flatland Stinger owners we have out there that might frequent this forum. I've seen at least one other posting from here, discussing winter tires as I recall - no big surprise there.

So, if you're out there, let yourself be known.

2. SKStinger

SKStinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Hello from Regina! I've only seen two other's in the Queen City so far but the dealer here told me in August that they've sold 10 locally.

And yes, it does sound like a sports team!

3. Spilly73

Spilly73 Canada New Member

Hey SK Stinger. I am in Regina also. My wife bought a 2018 Stinger 3.3T-GDI AWD GT Limited in Micro Blue. Had it since August. I get to drive it on weekends.....lol

4. SKStinger

Congrats! Hope you get more time behind the wheel! How does she like it so far?

5. Spilly73

Spilly73 Canada New Member

She loves it, as do I. I owned Subaru WRX's when I was growing up in Sydney Australia and they are nothing compared to the Stinger. I would love nothing more than to trade in my Dodge 3500 for a Stinger, but that would not be practical so I will just be happy to be allowed to drive it on weekends....lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Talloneus Khan

Talloneus Khan Canada Member

Hey, I think that might have been me. And greetings from moose jaw dudes! Maybe we should do a meet in the spring? Show off a bit!

7. Crisis

Last week I saw my first red Stinger (other than my own) at the top of the Broadway bridge. Belong to anyone on here?

8. Crisis

Took my Stinger to the "Street Legal Drags" at Saskatchewan International Raceway yesterday. First time ever running on a real dragstrip. I wanted to see what the car would do after I installed a Racechip a couple weeks ago (I also replaced by stock plugs with tighter-gapped Denso plugs). I was able to make a dozen passes and the Stinger was very consistent, running most in the 31.2 - 13.4 range. My best pass was a 13.189 @ 107mph. I also made one run with the Racechip turned off and ran about 4/10s higher and 5 mph slower.

The entire day was a blast. $45 total cost for the day. But because I was running under 14 seconds, I did require a Snell-rated helmet to be able to participate. As this was in Saskatchewan, there were about half dozen pickups there, some fast, some slow. It was funny that the track announcer originally thought my car was a Porsche and during about my 4th run, he was corrected and said "oh, it's a Kia.... Stinger. Never heard of one of those animals". Later when I was running against a Jeep Cherokee, he came up with the cheesey line, "and the Cherokee gets stung".

9. Talloneus Khan

@Crisis good job on the runs! Thats awesome considering our high elevation. Do you have any other supporting mods? Or just the racechip and plugs? Ive kept mine stock, (plans to upgrade this year though) and done some off track runs, ;) i love how the quickness of our cars garners tons of awesome responses from people who didnt even know they existed

10. Crisis

Just the Racechip and the plugs. Definitely considering intakes and midpipes, though.

11. Talloneus Khan

I plan on doing intakes, midpipes, then a piggyback (and either boostane, or unleaded race gas). Kinda leaning toward the jb4 though. How many pounds of boost over stock does the racechip give you?

12. SKStinger

Sounds like fun! Especially the announcer!

Are you liking the Racechip? I’ve read that the power delivery isn’t as smooth as it is with the JB4.

13. Crisis

I haven't noticed any smoothness issues since installing the Racechip. As for boost increase - I don't know, as I'd never checked to see where boost maxed out previously. Though that sounds like a worthwhile check, albeit somewhat of an estimate given the limitations of our digital bar gauge for boost.

While there's no doubt that the JB4 seems to be the preferred piggyback chip, I went with the Racechip primarily due to it's simplicity. Once the spark plugs were changed, the installation of the Racechip was as easy as any type of modification could be.

SKStinger, did you do your own install on the mid-pipes? How was it?

14. Christopher Léger

Christopher Léger United States Active Member

Hey from quebec..
    I have a few quick questions, do u have 2018 limited? And while using lainch control do you have your wheels spinning until you let go of the brake?

15. Crisis

Yup, I have a 2018 GT Limited. I've never been able to get any wheelspin on dry pavement regardless of my launch technique. My biggest beef is that launch control doesn't let it rev enough - somewhere under 2,000 rpm is as high as it gets.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Christopher Léger

Christopher Léger United States Active Member

Ok thanks.. im having an issue where im always getting wheelspin on LC on dry pavement with the brake pedal still pushed down, i have looked thru 100s of threadals and no AWD have complained about this... and i had that issue stock even before mods.

17. Hi Crisis, what brand of spark plugs was the engine fitted with from the factory? NGKs?

18. SKStinger

Good to know. Where did you source the Denso's and the Racechip?

I did install the mid-pipes myself. It is pretty straightforward. If you've installed an exhaust before you will be fine doing this job. Only took an hour or so.

Jacked up one side of the car high enough to comfortably get under and used an air-impact wrench to knock off the nuts. Without one it would be a pain as there isn't a lot of room to maneuver.

19. Crisis

I got the Racechip direct from Racechip. Ordered it on a Friday, it left Germany on Monday and was delivered to me in Saskatoon on Tuesday - pretty impressive. Very well-packaged and simple, yet well-detailed instructions. As I'd noted above, I'm sure I could get some better performance from a JB4, but as I'm not going to be running race gas, or anything over 91 octane typically, I'm good with the simplicity and added boost from the Racechip.

I got the Denso plugs from Kiastinger.com (basically this forum's website).

I'd read about some difficulty fitting the mid-pipes on the AWD models, so that's good to hear that you had no issues. I've worked under cars often in the past, so shouldn't be a problem. If I can get the plugs changed, I'm sure I can handle the mid-pipes. Just need to keep my wife from checking the credit card bill...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Crisis

Hmmm, I don't recall. I don't have any photos of the old plugs on my phone, so I'll check the old ones when I get home and report back.

Draft saved Draft deleted