kia stinger store

RWD/AWD

DonD

I am supposed to see delivery of a Stinger GT1 on Tuesday or Wed.

Wanted to make sure that the car was covered under insurance as soon as I took possession. So, I called USAA and when the person ran the VIN she said the car was AWD. I don't need or want AWD in central TX. Slower, more working parts, lower mileage, more expensive. She was adamant that the "E4" in the VIN meant AWD. I suggested that their data base might be wrong.

So, I called the sales manager who said the factory invoice said RWD.

I don't know enough about the instrument panel to know if there is anything there that clearly says "AWD", assume there must be. Are there indications on the body?

I'm almost about to ask them to put it on a lift to be sure. Any suggestions? Thanks, Don

JSolo

Stinger Enthusiast
Chicago
Run this vin on the kia vin windows sticker tool

https://www.tellurideforum.org/pages/kia-telluride-sticker/

There's another url direct to kia but I don't have that handy.

namja

Lynnwood, WA
Last edited:

stoopid

Stinger Enthusiast
Las Vegas, NV
AWD comes with badging and of course a slightly different transmission/front drivetrain setup if you look underneath.

I don't mind having AWD although it's not something I *need*. It does help a little in cornering, and launches are pretty insane which I think is benefitting from having all 4 wheels pulling.

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

namja

Lynnwood, WA
E: Stinger
4: "Middle-High grade (GLS, JSL, TAX, GD1, GD2)"

According to KGIS

DonD

I would believe the dealer.... and FYI mine is AWD with E5 in the VIN
Since your's is a AWD with a VIN of "E5" vs my "E4" strongly suggests the insurance rep is incorrect. Is there someting on the exterior that says AWD, afterall, those who want or need AWD should be proud of it. Don

RM7

North
AWD comes with badging and of course a slightly different transmission/front drivetrain setup if you look underneath.

I don't mind having AWD although it's not something I *need*. It does help a little in cornering, and launches are pretty insane which I think is benefitting from having all 4 wheels pulling.
AWD definitely does not help in cornering. It does help in launches and putting power down.

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
I have awd…

KNAE55LC9J6028692

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

DonD

Thanks to all for your prompt responses, I really appreciate them. Really looking forward to getting the new Stinger!

stoopid

Stinger Enthusiast
Las Vegas, NV
AWD definitely does not help in cornering. It does help in launches and putting power down.
There's two ways it helps - handling confidence in general and pulling out of a corner with confidence. Same reason it's really tough to kick the backend out with AWD versus drifting in RWD, it definitely helps give the car another tool for keeping the car pointed in the direction you want. In other words - the chances for the tail cutting loose are much lower with AWD.

RM7

North
There's two ways it helps - handling confidence in general and pulling out of a corner with confidence. Same reason it's really tough to kick the backend out with AWD versus drifting in RWD, it definitely helps give the car another tool for keeping the car pointed in the direction you want. In other words - the chances for the tail cutting loose are much lower with AWD.
Handling confidence? Please explain.

Pulling out of a corner with "confidence"? You seem to be talking about the straights. AWD cars do not corner faster.

stoopid

Stinger Enthusiast
Las Vegas, NV
I can't explain this post any better.

Seeing that you are holding a contrary position with no explanation, perhaps you can explain why (or how you know) awd doesn't offer any benefit in cornering.

RM7

North
AWD doesn't "grip" you to corners. There's a maximum speed you can take a corner and maintain grip.

vipeboy2000

Stinger Enthusiast
Middle Tennessee
AWD can benefit in cornering in giving the driver confidence in accelerating in the corner earlier without fear of the tail sliding out under power... So with average drivers, awd "can" be faster since the driver can get on the power earlier with less finesse .. however, generally speaking (always exceptions) the extra weight of awd / possibility of more understeer due to the front tires being pushed past their grip limit since it is taking on the responsibility of cornering and accelerating, will cause the car to be slightly slower with the best of drivers in cornering at the limit..
Now, this is all under the best case scenarios.. every corner is different, road material, dampness, etc can flip the pro/con of awd vs rwd.. aka, super tight corners where speed is low and the benefit of being able to accelerate faster/earlier awd would benefit, higher speed sweeper style corners, rwd would definitely benefit.

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

RM7

North
It helps not spinning out. I was able to spin AWD when I turned of traction control. Give I am noob to RWD cars and was having too much fun that day.
Vipeboy has it right. Take some AWD and RWD cars to the limit in turns and you'll see. There's a big difference between accelerating out of turns on loose and wet surfaces with AWD, but it doesn't make you go faster in the turn. Usually, races are won in the turns. AWD puts down that power early in the straights, but it almost always gets hit by the drivetrain drag at the higher speeds. There's definitely a place for it, but its not faster in the turns. The Tesla 3s that come out and race with us are not great (but not bad) in the corners, it's everything in between where they just smash most of the competition. Also at these slower speeds, that's where if you put down too much power with RWD you might lose traction, but at higher speeds it's a lot more equal, as you are driving at the grip limit of the car.