Replacing Base Halogen Enclosure with LED Enclosure?

Stinger4Banger

Newish Member
San Diego, CA
Has anyone attempted to switch out the halogen enclosure on a base 2.0 with a LED enclosure like the ones in the premium or GT versions? From pictures alone they seem like it would be plug and play since they're the same size, not sure if wiring will be an issue though.

robz32

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
To my knowledge there has not been anyone that has swapped out the halogen headlights to the GT LED ones. While they will phisically fit, I do not think the connection is a plug and play matter as the harness is different.

Stinger4Banger

Newish Member
San Diego, CA
To my knowledge there has not been anyone that has swapped out the halogen headlights to the GT LED ones. While they will phisically fit, I do not think the connection is a plug and play matter as the harness is different.
Darn it, hopefully the harness isn't too much of a difficult replacement if it can even be replaced at all. Seen some HID kits for the 2.0 and figured might as well spend a little more and get the actual LED Headlight housing. Thanks

Stinger4Banger

Newish Member
San Diego, CA
I paid $65 for my HID lights and I’m liking the way the look for not much money wasted
Mind if I ask which HID option you went with? Were they professionally installed or did you do so yourself? Thanks in advance!
P.S. Wouldn't mind some pictures of the lights and how they look if you can post them :thumbup:

robz32

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
The ones I always recommend are the Sportiva. I have used them on 4 of my cars and have not had any problems, aside from an issue with one bulb, but they were quick and send a replacement without asking too many questions. Currently mi wifes G37 has one of these on the fog lights and it has been trouble free since we bought it 3 years ago. My previous car, M37S, had one as well for 4 years and zero issues. The kit went with the car once I sold it to get the Stinger :D

Stinger4Banger

Newish Member
San Diego, CA
The ones I always recommend are the Sportiva. I have used them on 4 of my cars and have not had any problems, aside from an issue with one bulb, but they were quick and send a replacement without asking too many questions. Currently mi wifes G37 has one of these on the fog lights and it has been trouble free since we bought it 3 years ago. My previous car, M37S, had one as well for 4 years and zero issues. The kit went with the car once I sold it to get the Stinger :D
Hmm ill look into them, especially if the Morimoto 9005 HID kit is still going for $180 :thumbdown:

Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Authorized Vendor
Raleigh, NC
Hmm ill look into them, especially if the Morimoto 9005 HID kit is still going for $180 :thumbdown:
Looking past the cost you're getting a quality product! Morimoto is known for their quality and customer service backed by a 5-year warranty on the kit. Most customers only keep their cars for MAYBE 5-years before moving on to something different. I've been running mine for coming on 5-years now and its been great! Opt for a 5500k bulb if you go this route.

Be careful of using LED lighting for low beams, IT WILL NOT BE AS BRIGHT AT HID's. Also LED lighting tends to be thrown all over the place (which you DO NOT want), aftermarket HID's work much better with factory halogen housings and lenses when concentrating light on the road.

If you're serious about getting a quality kit that will last then Morimoto ($164.95) is for you
Morimoto Elite Complete HID Conversion Kit - Kia Stinger 2.0T

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I need help, How the hell do you get to the headlight bulbs to replace them. I looked under the hood and was like... HUH This is a problem, it almost seems i need to literally remove the whole headlight just to change out the bulbs, is this true?
Owner's Manual: page 7 | 78: "If you don't have the necessary tools, the correct bulbs and the expertise, consult an authorized Kia dealer. In many cases, it is difficult to replace vehicle light bulbs because other parts of the vehicle must be removed before you can get to the bulb. This is especially true if you have to remove the headlamp assembly to get to the bulb(s)."

But on page 7 | 81, it shows "Type A" headlamp (like yours) bulb replacement is through a service cover in the wheel housing. Good luck. :p

Last edited:

Hockster

Stinger Enthusiast
Edmonton, AB, CA
HID's work much better than LED in most applications, especially in projector housings. If going with LED don't go cheap. Better off staying with halogen bulbs.

And watch this:

Hockster

Stinger Enthusiast
Edmonton, AB, CA
I need help, How the hell do you get to the headlight bulbs to replace them. I looked under the hood and was like... HUH This is a problem, it almost seems i need to literally remove the whole headlight just to change out the bulbs, is this true?
There are instructions in the owner's manual.

FrankEFX

Newish Member
Owner's Manual: page 7 | 78: "If you don't have the necessary tools, the correct bulbs and the expertise, consult an authorized Kia dealer. In many cases, it is difficult to replace vehicle light bulbs because other parts of the vehicle must be removed before you can get to the bulb. This is especially true if you have to remove the headlamp assembly to get to the bulb(s)."

But on page 7 | 81, it shows "Type A" headlamp (like yours) bulb replacement is through a service cover in the wheel housing. Good luck. :p
I thought maybe someone possibly posted a video or something, this would be a helpful tutorial if someone was to ever make it. Just saying

FrankEFX

Newish Member
Hi fellow Stingers,

I need help with something. I have tried installing a few LED headlight bulbs on the 2020 Kia Stinger GT-line replacing the halogens. And I have to say this is a nightmare. First of all to get to the bulb is ridiculous, you need to access a small compartment in the wheel-well.

Then it gets better, while trying to install the new bulb there's an obstruction, which is in the way and you cannot put the bulb in the socket. Has anyone figured a way to do this, or is there another LED bulb, or whatever I can use that would work. Because i have tried 3 different types of 9005 6000k LED bulbs which will not fit.

Thanks

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW