Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Removing Plasti Dip from OEM wheels

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Tires Discussion' started by westcoastGT, Mar 26, 2020.

1. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

I have had my wheels "Dipped" for 8 months now and while I love the look of the OEM wheels in Black the downside is that the bead edge around the wheel peels off when the tires are compressed when hitting dip2.jpg dip1.jpg dip3.jpg bumps/pot holes etc ............I have decided to "Paint" my wheels now as a more durable and permanent fix .....................over the last 2 days I have removed all the PD and now am back to the stock 2 tone machined/painted OEM wheel ( Centre caps are still black ) ..............Just a heads up to anyone considering "dipping" their wheels , yes the stuff does come off , in fact about 75% peals off quite easily , BUT you will likely encounter some spots where it doesnt peel , I found that paint thinnner does the trick . Apply it to the residual PD and rub it off with a cloth or paper towel , I would budget about 1/2 hr per wheel to completeing remove the PD ...............heres some pics of what the beads looked like on mine , looks like curb rash , unacceptable !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Did you try high pressure water?

3. westcoastGT

....................did I say that .NO , thats too easy ! :laugh:

4. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

Yes, curb rash is what it looks like alright. Bleh!:p I look forward to seeing the freshly painted black wheels. (That plastic dip looks more grey than black in your pics.)

5. westcoastGT

They were black , just the way it was shot I guess , plus they were filthy ! I have the paint ordered , the store does a customer pick at curbside to eliminate instore visits !

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted