Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Removing hard water spots

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Detailing Discussion' started by Dummyinacan, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Dummyinacan

Dummyinacan United States Member

I washed my car over the weekend and I noticed some pretty bad water spots all over. What do you guys suggest doing to remove them? I watched videos of people using compound and others using wheel acid, but I’m afraid I would be damaging the clear coat. Any suggestions?

2. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Stinger Enthusiast

just a nice polishing compound and a clean microfiber towel. If they are worse than that you can get more aggressive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dummyinacan

I was looking at mcguairs ultimate compound, good reviews and cheap. Would you recommend any?

4. SteveCo

SteveCo United States 1000 Posts Club!

Wash it again - and dry it faster this time ... :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dummyinacan

Lol yeah that’s what I will try first this weekend if have some time and if it doesn’t rain

6. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States Stinger Enthusiast

I’ve used it. Good product. Clear safe. Basically foolproof.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GenesisG70

GenesisG70 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Depends how bad is the water spotting if is severe you might need to do 2 step polish, if I was you pay for good detail job or even better if you know how to 2 step polish your car.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Wash it again; but with hot, SOFT water. Water spotting happens because the minerals in the water (mostly calcium) are attracted to the surface of the paint/clear coat. Soft water neutralizes the minerals 90% plus (slight variations occur with different mineral mixes in the water). The minerals therefore float up into the water droplets instead of sticking to the bottom of them, against the paint. While the water is beading, lay a good quality microfiber drying towel down and lift it off with the lightest of pressure; move to the next section and repeat; start at the top and work your way down. One 2' x 3' drying towel will be enough for this sized car, even counting the glass (you can rub the glass to polish it, and that is the opposite side of the towel - the close knap side - from the looped pile side that is used for drying the painted surfaces). Only use the towel once then launder (follow instructions or you'll compromise or ruin the towel). Never dry with an already soiled microfiber towel. I don't use any cleaning products when I wash my car (but then, I don't let my car get dirty just a layer of light dust is enough to make me give her a bath); just hot, SOFT water, using 100% terry cloth towels, light pressure, no rubbing; followed by the microfiber trying towel. My car is never spotted.

(Swirl note: a Silky Silver finish does not show swirls in the clear coat like say a Black surface would. My method of just using hot, soft water may not avoid swirls like a more involved wash method using dedicated cleaning solutions, followed by polishing. But regardless, the most important aspect is to avoid hard water at all costs. If you can't get soft water, then add a solution that will turn your bucket of water soft, in other words, soften your water by hand. I've never had to do this, so I can't recommend a specific product. Somebody else might be able to do that: I just know that if you don't use a product that duplicates the mineral neutralizing property of soft water, you'll be fighting a constant battle against water spotting.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gferg01

Gferg01 United States Member

Carpro Spotless and be done with it. Had bad water spots on the black chrome. As clear and reflective as a mirror. Thank me later.

• Like Like x 1
  10. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

Megs Cleaner wax , this is a great product for water spots , etc megs.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dummyinacan

Thanks for all of the input, very helpful! I will try some of your suggestions and will let you know what worked.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sime

Sime Australia Member

I 2nd this, especially on the black Crome.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bobr

Bobr Unspecified Country - Europe Active Member

Yes, just wash it again with more proper water etc. I seen the same on my car and phone screen. Those water spots go away after second good wash or with time, nothing to worry about (usually) and definitely no polish required, gosh...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteveCo

SteveCo United States 1000 Posts Club!

Being in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, our water supply is very hard, with lots of minerals. On the upside, it tastes great right out of the tap ... :thumbup:

Immediately after washing, or even after we've had a good rain storm, water spots are almost certain to leave residue if they aren't attended to before they dry. I've never used any sort of abrasive or polish to remove them - just washed them off within a reasonable time while they are still soluble, and made sure to employ a chamois or MF towel so they don't re-appear.

Inside the house, glass and tile surfaces in the shower can be a problem if the water is left to dry and deposits harden over time - the mineral buildup can require some effort to remove. Lots of people keep a squeegee in the shower to prevent/minimize it before it has a chance to become a problem.

15. Nishizawa

Nishizawa Canada Member

I have tried waterless wash products which have worked pretty well. The spots that I had in my BMW in the past weren’t as stubborn but definitely would not come off with regular soap and towel. The specific product I have used and still use today is Chemical Guys Swift Wipe Waterless Wash. I have got in to the habit of giving my car a full wash then finishing with the waterless wash.

16. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Ran the question past the wife who is an analyst with Sydney water. As Merlin says its dried Calcium deposits.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Origins

Origins Canada Member

Ceramic coat the car! You won't see the water marks again even with regular water washes. Very good investment.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: