Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Rear fog lights?!

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Lighting - Inside and Out' started by Rango, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Rango

Rango United States Active Member

Just saw (at the end of the attached Utube video) that the Stinger has rear fog lights?! Can someone post a pic of the rear fogs? I have not seen anything about this feature anywhere on the internet.

• Like Like x 2
  2. AnyVare

AnyVare United States Active Member

Ok, great catch. That is interesting..... It looks like the video is saying there are a couple of additional red lights on the hatch? This would be good to confirm.

3. Gdank

Gdank United Kingdom Active Member

37FEE84D-85BC-410F-9FE5-339B55E9349F.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. MikeyCanuck

MikeyCanuck Canada Active Member

I can confirm that us Canucks do not have the fog light switch... so no go on that one for us... but it would be interesting to know if wiring and potential is there...

5. AnyVare

Now that's interesting, I thought CA got all the features. Wonder if this is just a Korean spec feature only? Any other owners from other regions?

6. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

If I'm not mistaken these are used in Europe as a safety feature - not in the U.S. Different rules. I could be wrong...

7. Gdank

Probably EU safety regulation, and yes it’s most probably different in each country.

However I wouldn’t have thought it’s worth the cost saving to omit in some countries.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly United Kingdom Member

I think it has been a legal requirement in the UK for donkeys years. It is definitely required for MOT testing and I remember having to retrofit them to cars when I was a lad. Apart from the twats that turn them on in the rain, I cant believe they are not required in all countries they are such an important safety feature.

9. TomTom26

TomTom26 Switzerland Member

Nice feature to dazzle others.
    They are very bright and at the right height.
    If you forget to shut off the highbeam you will get the full load... :sneaky:

10. tofu

tofu Canada Active Member

Definitely an EU thing. I occasionally see European cars (Mercedes, BMWs, etc.) here in Canada that have rear fog lights but they're very out of place.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnyVare

+1 for another feature the US doesn't get.....

12. Gdank

Blame US regulations ...

13. Kia Stinger

Yeah, but this is different because no US car gets them - and, honestly, nobody wants them. I mean - generally here in America - nobody has ever even heard of rear fog lights. Thus, nobody (generally, nobody) wants them...

note: Sorry for all the "generally" - but I've learned to include these disclaimers in my every day life. If I'm having a conversation with somebody about chocolate and vanilla - and I say, "Come on! NOBODY likes vanilla more than chocolate!" - I don't literally mean NOBODY. I know there are a small percentage of people out there who prefer vanilla over chocolate. What I'm trying to say is, generally, almost everyone prefers chocolate to vanilla. Generally...

14. Bobr

Bobr Russian Federation Active Member

Btw, I heard that rear lights have that strange form because of some US regulations where tail lights should always be placed both on the rear and side-rear sides. That's why Stinger's tail lights have those extended stripes.

[​IMG]

15. Kia Stinger

Yes, in the U.S. our safety regulations state that we need rear side reflectors. I guess this was the best way Kia could make them make sense. I didn't like them at first but they've grown on me...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly United Kingdom Member

To be pedantic, most people generally prefer vanilla, that is why most ice cream in the world is vanilla!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kia Stinger

MIND BLOWN. :p

18. eolith

eolith United States Newish Member

FWIW: I can confirm this is an EU regulation requirement. I would love to see this in the US for those foggy times. We get that a bit here in Ohio in the fall, and would love to have the added visibility. I saw one car recently that had it set up. It was likely a vet who bought in Europe and shipped over. Huge base here.

This is something I'd be interested in pursuing, now that I've jumped in to my Stinger

19. Robs

Robs Singapore Active Member

We have them here in sunny Singapore, together with heated steering wheels:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. robz32

robz32 United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

This is a great. Never understood why the US does not require rear fog lights, with the downpours we have been getting, the foggy nights and snow blizzards, you would think they would allow them in order to increase visibility of the vehicle when its in front. They greatly underestimate the importance of vehicle visibility under those conditions.

Also I can see from the video that DRL's are always on regardless of the position of the knob on the EU models, the north american model requires you to have the knob turned to auto in order for the DRL to be on.

Any chance of someone sourcing the EU rear light bar with the rear fog light? I would like to install it on mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted