kia stinger store

Rattling, Creaking & Interior Noises - Formal Cases with Kia Corporate

Is your Stinger experiencing Rattling, Creaking & Interior Noises issues?

• Total voters

DougWilsonsSlapper

Newish Member
I've had issues with not only my sunroof creaking but also my headliner. I've found DIY solutions but agree that this is unacceptable for a car that cost 50k. For the sunroof rattle I simply placed to pieces of rubber on the spot where the footings of the sunroof glass come down and sit on. For the headliner rattle I bought thin foam sheets from Michael's, unscrewed the oh shit handles on both sides so you can pull the headliner down just enough to slide the foam sheets in. I used your typical trim tool to help get the foam in. Then rescrewed the oh shit handles. I still had minor creaking but that was fixed with again another small strip of foam right along the edge of the sunroof opening in between the headliner and the roof.

Hope this helps others. I avoid going to the dealership for anything other than warranty work. Find a Mechanic you can trust that'll take the time to get to know your vehicle. You won't find that at most dealerships.
Thanks! Any pics and links would be appreciated.

dban

Romania
One possible cause was mentioned above: loose rocker panels (side skirts): push really hard along the inner edge to reseat the retaining clips. The loose panels resonate up the B pillars and cause the noises heard in the cabin. Similarly, the headliner can be loose: go around the sunroof opening especially, and push up hard and you might hear a "Velcro" reseating sound. Good luck! And welcome.
I had my hopes really high when I went to the car, checked the side skirts and realised some of the clips are not fully pressed. But after fixing them, I just started the car and the creaking sound was still there :( I really don't understand as the sound can be heard even at really low speeds, 2-3 km/h. I also checked the doors, the headliner, no fix yet.
One strange thing though, yesterday morning I didn't hear the sound for the first time. I drove to a nearby city (aprox 100km away) without hearing it. But later in the day, when I drove back, there it was again. This morning it was still there, but it faded away when it started to rain. Then I realised yesterday morning it was also raining. I'm not sure there is a connection, but I don't know what else to do...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
This morning it was still there, but it faded away when it started to rain. Then I realised yesterday morning it was also raining. I'm not sure there is a connection, but I don't know what else to do...
Nature's noise cancelling: the white noise of falling rain. :D I'm actually serious about this hypothesis.

Sorry that your issue didn't have the quick fix that some have lucked out with. Another possibility with the come-and-go nature is that something is still loose, but not as loose now since your pushing and pressing; maybe try going around again and push up hard on everything.

dban

Romania
Nature's noise cancelling: the white noise of falling rain. :D I'm actually serious about this hypothesis.

Sorry that your issue didn't have the quick fix that some have lucked out with. Another possibility with the come-and-go nature is that something is still loose, but not as loose now since your pushing and pressing; maybe try going around again and push up hard on everything.
Believe me, I took that - noise cancelling - into account. The sounds are similar, it's not easy to distinguish between them. But the creaking is not there, this morning I was able to confirm it again. And not only me, my wife was there to double check.

5tinger

Noticed when riding over elevated ramps/driveways. Frame flexes, cuasing the entire frame to emit a slight, but noticeable creak.
However, considering the length and the fact that the rear of the vehicle is a hatch, this is expected.

Overall NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) is well above average.

Last edited:
new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

ht_addict

Noticed when riding over elevated ramps/driveways. Frame flexes, cuasing the entire frame to emit a slight, but noticeable creak.
However, considering the length and the fact that the rear of the vehicle is a hatch, this is expected.

Overall NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) is well above average.
Get the sub frame bolts from ATQ. Will tighten things up big time

n8hegr8

Hi everyone

Firstly I'd like to thank the creators of this forum and members for their contribution. I've been a quiet but active member for the past year and half, have leveraged a lot of great information on here, and wanted to contribute to this forum in a constructive manner.

After searching this forum I found that a whole lot of us have issues with interior rattles, creaking and noises with car that in some countries costs over $50K. I have absolutely loved my 2018 GT2 limited since taking delivery of it here in Toronto. However I think it is unacceptable that a car of this caliber and price has noise issues that a cheap rental cars I've driven like a Malibu, Focus, or Corolla frankly don't have.

This is not related to Rear Hatch TSB, as I have got that service done a while back, shortly after taking delivery of the Vehicle.

Filing Formal Cases with Kia Corporate
Today I followed up on an earlier sunroof rattle issue I filed a while back with Kia Canada. To this day the issue exists.

As of about 1 month ago, I am hearing an incredibly load rattling noise from the interior passenger side of the vehicle. Very similar to that as Described by @Nick666 and @HPR Stinger over in another thread.

I wanted use this thread as means for us to formally file cases with Kia Corporate of our respective countries, and keep track of the progress and (hopefully) resolution to these unacceptable issues.

After filing another case today - I am going back to my local dealer to follow up and see what occurs and will update this thread with my results.

I would welcome anyone else to share their interior noise related issues and cases here in hopes that enough numbers will get Kia to do a formal TSB or recall if required.
whatever ended up being the outcome of all this? we still have rattles and creaks and things breaking at low mileage which shouldnt happen when buying an expensive car, so you'd think. window lock button no longer works, one window no longer goes down or up, auto start stop doesnt work, hatchback rattles. 2022 stinger gt awd, 3800 miles.

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

n8hegr8

Overall NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) is well above average.
it sounds like the car is twisting LOL

ht_addict

n8hegr8

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

ht_addict

holy sh$t, feel free to correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but how the hell did someone who builds cars miss something so simple? is that a recall to have this bolts changed out or just our choice to find someone to do it. mine also creaks on the pillars, sunroof, ceiling fabric, every where, when the driveway or whatever has a huge dip, and that's backing out at an angle.
Not a recall issue. Or choice of we want to do it. I had my dealer do it when they were installing my Eibach Sway bars. You can do it yourself if you want.

briguy

I bought my 2019 Stinger GT2 brand new back in July 2020. From the day I drove it off the lot I had popping noises coming from multiple areas of the headliner (turned out to be an adhesive issue), and also a pretty bad rattling from the sunroof. Three different dealerships were ultimately not able to permanently solve the issue (two were able to temporarily solve them, but they came back). Kia agreed then to escalate the situation. After submitting the documentation from all my service visits, it took almost six months before a Kia technician was sent out. What was the worst part about that for almost three months straight I did not get any kind of communication back from them at all, despite me directly contacting the representative assigned to my case numerous times, via phone and email, as well as making multiple calls to the main Kia Consumer Assistance Center phone number and speaking to other reps who assured me someone would get back to me within a few days (but didn't). THREE MONTHS, no contact. That was extremely frustrating.

Eventually though, the corporate tech recently came out to drive the car with me. Sure enough, he heard the noises coming from both the headliner and the sunroof. In addition, I happen to mention to him how I have had the rotors resurfaced twice already with only less than 8k miles on the car (the first time the rotors were resurfaced the car had under 200 miles, if you can believe it). He told me that with the Stinger that service departments are supposed to put brand new rotors on if the car has under 15k miles, and said he wasn't happy at all to hear that the two separate dealerships I took it to didn't do this.

Ultimately, while he said he will probably raise some eyebrows, he ordered a brand new headliner, a brand new sunroof assembly, and also four new rotors and euro spec brake pads (which are a softer compound and won't warp the rotors). He said it's over $5,000 in parts, but it's necessary to properly fix the vehicle.

I'm thankful that the car should now finally be fixed properly, but it's been quite a long time and has been pretty frustrating to deal with. Apart from fixing the problems, I'm curious what Kia will do to make it right (many months ago before the problems came back again they offered a free, more comprehensive service plan, so maybe they'll just offer that again).