Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Putting in CAI, will ECU self adjust?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by white03, Jan 15, 2020.

1. white03

white03 United States Member

I received my K&N CAI today. Will undertake installing it tomorrow, watching Youtube video's of the procedure today. Not very mechanically inclined but it looks easy enough. Any hints would be appreciated

Questions though: will the ECU self adjust to the change in air flow? Or is there something I need to do?

Thank you

2. NismoDPB

NismoDPB United States Active Member

Yes the ECU will adjust after so many miles of driving.

The instructions dont tell you to do this for whatever reason but one of the first things you want to do is remove the stock air boxes after the braces come out. This will give you way more room to disconnect the stock pipes and hoses.

Also it seems pretty common that one of the hose clamps they give you is undersized. It was for me at least so you may have to run out and buy a larger ring clamp. Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Whenever I add a mod that changes power which is so highly computerized and monitored these days, I always pull the battery for a reset.

It may be an old-fashioned sentiment, but I prefer the ECU to re-learn itself on a fresh table of values, lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Yes the ECU will adapt, but my understanding is that it usually takes multiple WOT runs for the best results.

5. Gtecko

Gtecko Canada Active Member

where did you get that from ?

6. KLR STINGER

KLR STINGER Canada Active Member

Most modern cars runs real time closed loop for fueling. That's why piggy backs like the JB4 even work. There is no need to pull the ECU, battery or do any WOT pulls. AFR is always real time adjusted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. white03

from Ebay, it was slightly used for 10,000 miles the guy said, saved $175

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

He was asking the other guy about having to do WOT runs for best results. While not entirely right, it's not wrong, either: the ECU learns from WOT runs, too, since most daily driving never really exceeds 2500RPM. Your regular daily driving will have learned itself, though, regardless of WOT runs. Any improvement in daily driving behavior after WOT runs is more that doing some hard runs "cleans" the engine out a bit which can help make it feel more "peppy" for awhile.

9. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Multiple different tuners have explained this fact and that extra power wasn’t achieved until several WOT runs. That’s why some people don’t show much gains when doing back to back dyno runs after mods or map changes.
    Only partially true. Yes AFR is real time, but ignition timing adjustments happen mostly during WOT runs. This is more noticeable when adding extra boost like with a tune, but pretty sure Tork and even Terry said it took several WOT runs to show gains after adding their intakes.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. white03

Thanx guys for your help and input. Think I'll do a few WOT runs, well if I have to (haha)

Love the "pshhh" sound!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Stinger Enthusiast

There is nothing to adjust too. The stock airbox and paper filter supplies more than enough air to make this engine roar, even with a tune. What you bought is additional sound under the hood. The ECU doesn't have to adapt to that, lol!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. General_Vodka

General_Vodka United States Member

Intakes have been proven to increase horsepower. And yes, ecu will adapt to that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Stinger Enthusiast

I will agree to disagree.

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. StingerLover

StingerLover United States Active Member

Ahem! My driving regularly exceeds 2500RPM. And my wife hates it. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Kiksbut

Kiksbut Canada Active Member

That's what I'm worried about.
    I'll probably put K&N filters in the stock intake. :(

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. General_Vodka

General_Vodka United States Member

Life is too short to spend it under 3000 RPM. My Honda lives at 7000. If you want to drive around at 2500 RPM you should have bought a Prius.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted