kia stinger store

PS573: Sound Settings (Fader) Moves To Rear

The TSB is for cars manufactured on a specific month only. If your car wasn't manufactured during that month then they basically tell you to go pound sand. The only way you'll get that resolved is to keep raising hell. But as you said, you can return the car when your lease is up. I love my Stinger but their level of service is pretty much crap.

The TSB says it applies to Stingers manufactured prior to May 2018. Mine was January 2018, which was stated on First Kia's service receipt. I had the car brought in for this issue as well as the wiring recall. Screenshot from the TSB attached which clearly states "prior to the dates above"

Attachments

• ScreenShot_20191130092804.png
    ScreenShot_20191130092804.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

GT2inSeattle

The TSB says it applies to Stingers manufactured prior to May 2018. Mine was January 2018, which was stated on First Kia's service receipt. I had the car brought in for this issue as well as the wiring recall. Screenshot from the TSB attached which clear states "prior to the dates above"

Ah .. thank you.. I had read previously that it was only the May 2018-manufactured car (which indicated to me a specific production run of the head units) probably had a defective digital signal processor or the like.

Thank you for the correction. Still.. Kia doesn't seem to want to actually fix this issue unless you raise complete and utter hell with them.

Ah .. thank you.. I had read previously that it was only the May 2018-manufactured car (which indicated to me a specific production run of the head units) probably had a defective digital signal processor or the like.

Thank you for the correction. Still.. Kia doesn't seem to want to actually fix this issue unless you raise complete and utter hell with them.
De nada (just returned from a trip to Mexico)
Sadly, I agree with your final conclusion. And I really do like the Stinger, but if the company won't stand behind the product, not sure why they act surprised (like Audi) when I don't want to roll into a new lease. Also bummed they discontinued the light color interior. Black and dark red is a non-starter for me here in sunny LA.

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA

Dan1028

Maryland
Build date of 10/17. Currently having my head unit replaced and am driving a newish Altima from the dealership (they sell multiple makes). I miss my Stinger.

Anyone notice new squeaks and rattles following this SA/TSB? It took nearly two years for them to acknowledge the damn issue (although it really is difficult to replicate on cue). I perseverated taking it in because the thought of my dash being taken apart and reassembled makes me think new squeaks and rattles await.

NismoDPB

Build date of 10/17. Currently having my head unit replaced and am driving a newish Altima from the dealership (they sell multiple makes). I miss my Stinger.

Anyone notice new squeaks and rattles following this SA/TSB? It took nearly two years for them to acknowledge the damn issue (although it really is difficult to replicate on cue). I perseverated taking it in because the thought of my dash being taken apart and reassembled makes me think new squeaks and rattles await.

I did not experience any new issues from the replacement. I had the same concerns but so far all is well

Metalmania82

Stinger Enthusiast
Reading, PA
Perseverated???

Just a follow up... I didn't care for how the system sounds with Quantum Logic Surround set to Off, so I tried the "On Stage Mode". Made that change on Dec 14 and so far the fader has not moved from center position.
And I really like the way the On Stage Mode sounds! I prefer it to Audience mode.

... and corporate never followed up on my open case

Last edited:

Never thought

1000 Posts Club!
Arizona
Just a follow up... I didn't care for how the system sounds with Quantum Logic Surround set to Off, so I tried the "On Stage Mode". Made that change on Dec 14 and so far the fader has not moved from center position.
And I really like the way the On Stage Mode sounds! I prefer it to Audience mode.

... and corporate never followed up on my open case

my understanding is that all you need to do is to tell the dealer that the fade is randomly moving and you get the unit replaced if it’s a car produced prior to May 2018. Maybe I am misremembering. But I believe I was the first to make this complaint to Kia, and the dealer opened a tech line with Kia about it, and then they came out with the TSB about 4 or 5 months later. And it was never replicated on my car...

my understanding is that all you need to do is to tell the dealer that the fade is randomly moving and you get the unit replaced if it’s a car produced prior to May 2018. Maybe I am misremembering. But I believe I was the first to make this complaint to Kia, and the dealer opened a tech line with Kia about it, and then they came out with the TSB about 4 or 5 months later. And it was never replicated on my car...
Your experience is different than mine (posted earlier in this thread).
I took the Stinger to First Kia of Simi Valley for the wire harness recall and they refused to do the work in the TSB, so I opened a case with Kia Corporate. Perhaps my situation is further complicated as I leased the Stinger from Galpin Kia in June 2018, and Galpin Kia closed a few months later (Oct 2018 I think)

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA

Marc Collins

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
I took the Stinger to First Kia of Simi Valley for the wire harness recall and they refused to do the work in the TSB, so I opened a case with Kia Corporate. Perhaps my situation is further complicated as I leased the Stinger from Galpin Kia in June 2018, and Galpin Kia closed a few months later (Oct 2018 I think)

Your experience is what probably 95% of us have encountered.

Dan1028

Maryland
He meant perverterated

No, not really.

Anyhow, no new creaks, squeaks, or rattles that I can detect as a result of the head unit replacement and dashboard rebuild. I've requested that they update the firmware/map software since the replacement unit came loaded with a very old version.

Never thought

1000 Posts Club!
Arizona
I don’t doubt you but I don’t think your dealer is handling this correctly. Hopefully you get traction with Kia. You can also try a complaint via BBB. I am convinced I go to the only outstanding Kia dealer in the world.

Tonkabob

2500 Posts Club!
Seattle, Wa
I heard they could fix this fader issue now with a software update via the memory card. Any truth to this?